Caso Sodbuster jr vs GEC Bullnose vs Queen Country Cousin

Which one would you prefer to carry everyday? and why?

Any information about your preference of the steels (CV, O1, D2) would be very welcomed!

Two of the three are in my knife chest. The Case is great and I have several Queens (not CC's) with D2, a really fine steel; but the one that always ends up in my pocket & is there now is the GEC. The F&F is definitely superior even though it is still a working knife. Of the three steels I prefer the 01; can you get the Case Jr. in cv?

Tom

I have several of all 3 and carry a SS Sod Buster Jr and a Bullnose frequently. The Bullnose wins slightly between those two based on size. I also really like the ease of sharpening on the O1 carbon steel. The Queens are really nice and don't get a lot of consideration but are great knives. The Queen CC's seem to be a little better in F&F than the Case SBJ's.

Depending on how you use the knife, Case's thin hollow grind, to a very thin edge, is a fantastic slicer. Case has also done pretty well in recent years with putting fairly acute edge bevels on these. When I bought my stainless Sod Buster Jr. at a local big-box home improvement center, I was impressed to find a beautifully-executed edge grind on it, all the way to the very pointy and sharp tip (this can be rare; tips are often not completely finished). I've still fine-tuned the edge on it, and this knife is a great tomato/fruit/veggie slicer. The thin grind and thin edge also make this blade very, very easy to sharpen up.

The Queen CC's primary grind and edge are considerably thicker, and odds are pretty good you'll want to re-bevel it to something thinner. But the D2 is obviously a big draw, with this knife.

I don't have the GEC, but in terms of edge grind (as seen in pics), it looks very similar to the Queen, to me.

David

i-zsBwZR9-L.jpg

i-xmsDgf2-L.jpg

I was not impressed with my Case Sodbuster Jr in CV. Incurable bladeplay, and the spring pin has rotated around and stick out with a sharp edge. I probably got a lemon though. The blade was fine though, and the CV takes a great edge, even if it doesn't last terribly long.

I much prefer the Bull Nose. The slightly larger size makes it more comfortable to hold, it's more refined all-around, and the half stop is a great touch. And the O1 tool steel is fantastic. The blade is also a bit pointier than the Case. Even if I didn't get a lemon Case, I'd still say the GEC is worth twice the cost of the Case, unless you intend to use the knife as a throw-away.

I don't own a Queen yet, but the blade profile (more point, less belly) looks great to me. I like their new micarta line, but I've been waiting to see if they work out all the kinks after the ownership transition.

I don't have the queen yet, but I have the other two. The Yellow Case SBJ has a bit of mojo that the others don't IMO. The Bullnose is pretty nice though, especially with the lanyard tube.

As purchased, my Case was a stinker to open and close: it looked like the tang was never finished. (Since it was purchased with the intent of rehandling, this wasn't an issue--repairs were done while the knife was apart.)

The GEC was a nice knife, but the blade rubbed almost the full length on one side. I don't know if that is typical, having seen only that one.

On the last CC I had, the spring stopped the blade before it opened as far as the one shown in Trevytrev's pic. I swapped it off to someone who wanted to re-build it.

Other than the flaws mentioned, they all seemed like they'd function fine as work knives. I'd say buy whichever one you can examine in hand before purchase--and don't buy one without seeing it first.

I have the Queen CC in micarta, and love the D2 steel and the rounder scale treatment. Highly recommended.

Since ya'll are talking about the blade shapes...

I've found the blade on the SBJ to be a bit peculiar. It's the only knife that I've ever had that has actual cutting edge hit (whatever it is that's your target) almost at the same time as the tip when using a stabbing motion, if that makes sense. The belly and edge come up, in a way, that nearly eliminates a typical point.

It's actually quite cool! What was this blade shape designed to do? It seems like it would excel at skinning, but seems too small.

If what I'm saying doesn't make sense maybe I can take a pic to explain it better.

I believe the blade shape started as a skinning/butcher knife. But I am not that versed on the topic so I might be off. I think the utility of the SB is great although the lack of a point hinders its abilities some times.

I guess the good news is you really can't go wrong with any of the three. I have all three and for all around carry I'd pick the Queen. Once you get that D2 where you want it profile and edge wise, it's a great steel.

Since ya'll are talking about the blade shapes...

I've found the blade on the SBJ to be a bit peculiar. It's the only knife that I've ever had that has actual cutting edge hit (whatever it is that's your target) almost at the same time as the tip when using a stabbing motion, if that makes sense. The belly and edge come up, in a way, that nearly eliminates a typical point.

It's actually quite cool! What was this blade shape designed to do? It seems like it would excel at skinning, but seems too small.

If what I'm saying doesn't make sense maybe I can take a pic to explain it better.

I think the so-called 'sod buster' blade shape most closely resembles a skinning blade, with it's relatively wide-radiused belly near the tip. Compare it to the longer secondary skinner blade on a Case '65 pattern folding hunter, Schrade 25OT, or Queen's Folding Hunter. As previously mentioned, I have seen some reference here, to the European origins of the pattern, referring to it as a 'folding butcher's knife', or something like that. I'm assuming the original version was larger than the Jr. soddie we know today, probably more akin to Case's original 'large' 2138 pattern soddie.

David

Sorry for the crappy pic, been a long day.

IMAG1443_zpse24f0494.jpg

The edge comes all the way around to the spine instead of terminating in a point as on a more typical blade profile (sorry, not a trad in the pic, just what I had handy) and I think both would work well for skinning. In that role I'd take the Soddie (or any of the knives in the thread title) over a clip point, drop point etc... any day.

Thanks for your explanations guys. :)

Edit- throwing in this pic just because I took it. :p

IMAG1442_zps8ed0fef7.jpg

Alright I'm done! (g'night)

Second time today I have read about coarsely ground tangs on Case knives. I assume you mean the surface that bears on the spring? Not just the faces (where the stamp is). Never seen that before.

Queen for the pointier tip, best steel (edge holding) and for slimness in the pocket. I will add that in my experience the newer sodbusters from Queen are coming with better edge profiles.

GEC Bullnose for comfort during longer jobs.

Which one would you prefer to carry everyday? and why?

Any information about your preference of the steels (CV, O1, D2) would be very welcomed!

I have all three. Of the three, the Queen gets the most use.

O1 is lovely steel, but so is the D2.
I carry the Queen because of the pointier blade shape, not because of the steel.

100_3191.jpg

Back