Changing of the Guard/RC-3

After years of reliable service I am retiring my old RC-3. The lettering is coming off and although I don't care much for things like that, this knife is different as it was our class knife of the 2007 Randall's Adventure and Training Jungle class.

Now to start getting my RAT Pack Knife dirty.
I will like the rounded pommel a little bit more and will give the factory flat grind another chance before turning into a convex.

I am not emotionally attached to gear in any way. Knives are tools, but this one is in danger of looking like any old used knife and loosing its identity.

-RB

IMG_1960.jpg

IMG_1962.jpg

Alabama last month
IMG_6971.jpg

taken a few days ago in Peru
IMG_8366.jpg

It's shame to retire sure a great blade but I see you point. What are you going to do with now?

Being that it's not replaceable and has special meaning, I would do the same thing. It makes the orange handled one look far too pretty though!

That was a cool knife. I'd retire it too. The orange handle works great if you set it down while working, which I often do. I'm sure your new one will get tons of use.

It's just a knife, it is always what you do with it, and not what it is, that makes it special.

My favorite knives are my ugliest. They are scratched, some are cut down and filed, others are colored, or dirty. I have a few better looking blades, but they don't see the hand time my favorites do.

I think I understand, but I am not sure...

No reason to get emotionally attached to a knife, but if it has been on some memorable outings and served me well, I would say that I DO get attached to a tool, and I will retire it to preserve the memories that it triggers when holding it.

Either way, that is one well traveled knife and honestly, it does not look bad to me! Thanks for sharing, I often enjoy seeing knives that appear to have served well!

A load of memories come with that knife! And many miles too. It may not be sentimental now, but it will be in years to come.

That top one sure could tell some stories I bet! That is pretty awesome.

Look for this "Wildertooled" RC-3 at Blade. Jeff will be doing something with it, I believe.

RC3.jpg

Yeah Id say its time to set that one aside. It looks waaaaay cooler though after bein pounded on in several countries.

Rick that RC3 you modded looks nice.

Back