Chef’s knife styles and shapes

Joseph Bandeko

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hello,
Does anyone know of a diagram (for lack of a better term) of all the different chef‘s knife shapes and styles, or at least the more common ones. I’m very bad with putting names to the styles of chef knives I see or even make.
I did do a search here and couldn’t find anything, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hello,
Does anyone know of a diagram (for lack of a better term) of all the different chef‘s knife shapes and styles, or at least the more common ones. I’m very bad with putting names to the styles of chef knives I see or even make.
I did do a search here and couldn’t find anything, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Are you talking about all chef's knives in general? Or the currently popular Japanese styles?

Are you talking about all chef's knives in general? Or the currently popular Japanese styles?
Yes, all chef knives, mainly because there has to be crossover in the names and styles, right?

A reference pictorial of Both western & Asian would be Awesome!!!
That would be awesome!
Perhaps everyone could start posting photos of knives in this thread with names and maybe even a short description of what they like to use each one for. 🤔

There are a TON of kitchen knife styles! Found these online by searching kitchen knife profiles:

Common Japanese Profiles:

Knife_shapes_SharpEdge.jpg

More of the uncommon ones:
Type_of_Japanese_kitchen_knives-min_1d81c6f4-1f17-496e-bc55-bc19e91cf9f2.jpg

And Western common styles:
knifechart.png

And some of the Scimitar and butcher style knives:
butcher-knife-guide-2022.jpg

Back