Choppin' with my JK custom

Earlier this month, I received my custom chopper from JK Knives (I call this one the StormBringer). Last week was the first time I was able to get out and do some chopping on some downed trees and limbs on my property. I'm not the strongest person, nor do I have a professional chopping technique, but all one needs to do with this behemoth is raise it in the air and it will do the rest...:D

My neighbor down the street thought it was raining bark chips, until he saw me with the "StormBringer" in hand...:p By the way, this one is 14 1/2" OAL with a 9" blade (01 steel) and 2 3/4" blade height.

After a few chops to a downed tree limb:

Break on through to the other side:

As you can see these aren't the biggest limbs or trees, but it sure did bring a big smile to my face seeing how this monster performed! Thanks for bringing this one to life JK, your craftsmanship is phenomenal! :thumbup:

That's about the biggest size limbs I would ever go after in a survival situation. Seriously cool knife though. And I don't even care for big choppers.:thumbup:

That thing is a beast, John created a monster! :thumbup: Cool pics.

Good looking knife ! John's knives look like safe queens but perform as good as anything out there, they are built bomb proof & come scary sharp ! Congrats on your JK 'Ol Bud !

Great looking knife Riverwarrior!

Can you tell us the intent behind the blade design i.e. length / width / thickness / pattern etc? It has some neat features and I am interested to hear your thoughts.

-Stan

Great looking knife Riverwarrior!

Can you tell us the intent behind the blade design i.e. length / width / thickness / pattern etc? It has some neat features and I am interested to hear your thoughts.

-Stan

Stan, thank you very much for your comments. A while back, I had 4 designs that I sent to John (JK Knives) to have made. Three of these had blade lengths of 2 1/2", 4", and 5". I wanted the 4th design to be a dedicated chopper that I could have fun using. I felt the 9" blade length was long enough for it's intended purpose and still able to carry it on my various back packs. The 2 3/4" blade height was, again, just tall enough to make it somewhat unique, but still useful in it's intended purpose. I initially was gonna have the blade thickness at 1/4", but went with 3/16" because I just thought it was more practical (and of course lighter).

As for the pattern, the "stair-step" look on the bottom of the blade was just to remove some of the weight in the back. The design at the top of the blade (near the handle) was also to eliminate some weight in the back. In doing so, it made this blade very weight forward and also gave it a unique appearance. You can choke up on the blade and rest your thumb in the longer top indention, but I actually didn't have the intention of choking up on this blade. I just wanted a unique looking, weight forward, chopper to have fun in the woods (and for any other tasks that a blade of this size would be used....i.e. destroying an automobile or a pack of zombies...:D)

Lastly, I call this one "Stormbringer" because when this blade is pulled from it's sheath, the skies will grow black and the winds will begin to howl. Also, one of my favorite songs is the old 1974 Deep Purple song of the same name....;):thumbup:

Stan, thank you very much for your comments. A while back, I had 4 designs that I sent to John (JK Knives) to have made. Three of these had blade lengths of 2 1/2", 4", and 5". I wanted the 4th design to be a dedicated chopper that I could have fun using. I felt the 9" blade length was long enough for it's intended purpose and still able to carry it on my various back packs. The 2 3/4" blade height was, again, just tall enough to make it somewhat unique, but still useful in it's intended purpose. I initially was gonna have the blade thickness at 1/4", but went with 3/16" because I just thought it was more practical (and of course lighter).

As for the pattern, the "stair-step" look on the bottom of the blade was just to remove some of the weight in the back. The design at the top of the blade (near the handle) was also to eliminate some weight in the back. In doing so, it made this blade very weight forward and also gave it a unique appearance. You can choke up on the blade and rest your thumb in the longer top indention, but I actually didn't have the intention of choking up on this blade. I just wanted a unique looking, weight forward, chopper to have fun in the woods (and for any other tasks that a blade of this size would be used....i.e. destroying an automobile or a pack of zombies...:D)

Lastly, I call this one "Stormbringer" because when this blade is pulled from it's sheath, the skies will grow black and the winds will begin to howl. Also, one of my favorite songs is the old 1974 Deep Purple song of the same name....;):thumbup:

Cool! Thank you for the info!

-Stan

That is a beast. One day when I'm travelling through your neck of the woods I'd love to try it out.

That thing is a beast! What does that one weigh? Looks like a great design.

-Nadz

Back