chromium nitrate toughness?

shootist16

knife law moderator
Jut got a commander in chromium nitrate. What is the consensus on this finish? Is it tough? Scratch easily? Corrosion resistance?

------------------
Dennis Bible

can't comment on the Emersons, but i believe this is the same coating MT used on the SOCOM i have. if so, it seems to be very tough. after about a year of almost daily use, mine looks almost brand new. no corrosion whatsoever, just a couple tiny scratches.

Though I have not personally witnessed the durability of Chro Nit I have heard that it is exceptionally wear resistant. Again I have no experience with this coating but the reports are good. As far as corrosion resistance goes the general delimma with all good coatings is that they protect only what they cover. A knife will rust from the edge inward and under the coating if given a chance. We probably all read the articles describing this problem during the testing of knives for SEAL Team use.

------------------
Usual Suspect

It is Basically "Hard Chrome". Which as we all know has been a fairly good wear & scratch resistant finish on firearms for years.
IMHO

------------------
"This is the law:
There is no possible victory in defense, The Sword is more important than the shield, And skill is more important than either, The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."

Back