Classic is replaced with a Rally. And Christmas.

So the other day while using my Classic for a small job it suddenly came to me that this little Classic, was in the right front pocket of my jeans the night my son was born. Obviously, this gave a whole new dimension to it. For this reason I quickly boxed it up, to be given to my son with a small note when he reaches the appropriate age to own a small SAK.

For a replacement I decided to go with a Rally instead of another Classic. This because I’m not much of a scissor user. In the 58mm range, the file with SD tip and the blade, are by far the most useful to me. I also like having a dedicated bottle opener and a small Phillips driver. This brings me to Christmas decorations and those battery doors with tiny Phillips screws. Last year the SD tip on my Classic did great duty. Soon we’ll be decorating for this year. I’m looking forward to find out how useful the SD tip and the Phillips driver will be as a team!

the Classic's (multi purpose) scissors also make a dandy fork for LITTLE SMOKEY sausages (plane or swimming in BB-Q sauce), shrimps (with or without cocktail sauce and/or melted butter) and sliced (or hole or wedge) pickles, berries and pitted cherries and oilves, cheese cubes or slices, lunch meat strips ....
Won't you "need" a small pointy fork during the soon to get here "Holly Dae" season's meals and snacks?

wish we had them yummies to look forward to ...

the Classic's (multi purpose) scissors also make a dandy fork for LITTLE SMOKEY sausages (plane or swimming in BB-Q sauce), shrimps (with or without cocktail sauce and/or melted butter) and sliced (or hole or wedge) pickles, berries and pitted cherries and oilves, cheese cubes or slices, lunch meat strips ....

Yeah, the same scissors I cut my toenails with? 🤮 😂

Yep!!! After di ... swishing ... the scissors (wouldn't do much good to swish toes ... and it mite burn ...) in Listerine it should be o.k.?🤔😁

Swishing scissors in Bacardi 151 Rum or Everclear (180 proof grain alcohol/moonshine) mite kill more than 99.99% of germs?

NOTE:
An added "benifit" of Everclear:
You can add what you don't drink to your gas tank without damage to engine or fuel system. (it ain't drinkable, by the way.)
A friend and I each put half a bottle (less the two cap fulls total we each mixed with 16 ounce of Pepsi before dumping the hotrodded Pepsi on the ground after taking a sip) into our gas tanks.
His '72 Jeep CJ5 (304 V8) and my '66 International 1100A pickup (BG-241 inline 6) loved the Everclear!

I don't know how much it raised the octain level of the gasoline. 😇

For this reason I quickly boxed it up, to be given to my son with a small note when he reaches the appropriate age to own a small SAK.

It will most likely get lost if you give it to him too early. If it means that much to you then maybe wait at least until he turns 18. Just saying. 🤷‍♂️

I’m not much of a scissor user.

I used to be the same way until I started carrying a 91mm with scissors. Now the scissors are my most used SAK tool. I use the scissors multiple times daily. I use them so much that I've had to resharpen them a few times and I managed to get pretty good at sharpening them freehand, although it's not exactly hard. That Felix Immler guy made a whole video dedicated to sharpening the scissors and his process is overcomplicated and completely unnecessary. He gave this whole long-winded explanation and he has you making a template at exactly 60 degrees and using a very specific diamond file that actually kind of hard to find, sitting there very carefully filing the scissor blades. I think he even had the SAK clamped in a bench vise. In reality all you need to do is lay each blade on a small stone (a pocket stone will do just fine), tilt the angle until the shadow goes away, and slide the blade back and forth. It only takes a minute or two and the scissors end up cutting just as good as they did from the factory. No template, no diamond file, no clamp, no nonsense. Just your hands and a set of eyeballs. It's so easy that it makes me laugh at Felix's video. Victorinox knew what they were doing when they made these things. There's no need to overcomplicate it. Just sharpen them.

Anyway...

🤢🤮

I now cut and file my fingernails exclusively with a SAK, but I still cut my toenails with a set of clippers from the drugstore. 👍

I've got so used to having the scissors. Aside from beard and mustache trimming, snipping burrs from our Australian shepherd's fur and trimming the fur from between her paw pads, and my wife using it to trim the hairs in my ears so I don't look like a hairy old fart, I've used the fixed blade half of the scissors as a makeshift awl to make starter holes for wood screws.

Hold the moving blade half out of the way with thumb and side of finger, and bore back and forth with the tip of the fixed blade half of the scissors. Makes a decent leather punch too.

No, I need the scissors on the 58mm. I just need to make sure the wife has her glasses on before I let her go trim my ear hairs. One time she didn't, and she took a snip on the divot thing sticking out in the middle of the ear. Man, it bled like a stuck pig for like 20 minutes even with pressure on it with a clean paper towel from my pocket. Those scissors are wicked surgical sharp!:oops:

An added "benifit" of Everclear:
You can add what you don't drink to your gas tank without damage to engine or fuel system. (it ain't drinkable, by the way.)
A friend and I each put half a bottle (less the two cap fulls total we each mixed with 16 ounce of Pepsi before dumping the hotrodded Pepsi on the ground after taking a sip) into our gas tanks.
His '72 Jeep CJ5 (304 V8) and my '66 International 1100A pickup (BG-241 inline 6) loved the Everclear!

I don't know how much it raised the octain level of the gasoline. 😇
Hmm, I always heard ethanol was bad for old carburetor components? At any rate, I guess modern gas has ethanol in it anyway.

As for the SAK, I don't use the scissors very often, but I've noticed people I lend my knife to tend to use the scissors more often than the knife.

Hmm, I always heard ethanol was bad for old carburetor components? At any rate, I guess modern gas has ethanol in it anyway.

As for the SAK, I don't use the scissors very often, but I've noticed people I lend my knife to tend to use the scissors more often than the knife.
I never had problems with gasahol in my cars/pickups that had a carb. (all of them until post 2000)
my only bad issue with ethanol was one the plants that makes it was less than an mile from where I resided with my then wife and newborn son. The plant was rather odiferous at times (as bad or worse than the rendering plant 2~3 miles distant), and even worse ... it turned my dark maroon '76 Plymouth Grand Fury III 4 door sedan white with corn soot!

(s'far as I know the plant is still there and in operation. I left that town in 1988. I've not been back since ... less than zero chances (and/or desire) of going back.)

It will most likely get lost if you give it to him too early. If it means that much to you then maybe wait at least until he turns 18. Just saying. 🤷‍♂️

I was going to post a similar response. :thumbsup: Young kids are likely to lose and/or abuse a first knife. I'm sure we all did when we were little. 😅

It will most likely get lost if you give it to him too early. If it means that much to you then maybe wait at least until he turns 18. Just saying.
That’s what I’m planning to do. I put it in an envelope with a little note on it to not open it before his 18th. I plan on giving it to him right about that time. But since we’re still in the diaper changing phase, that will be many years from now :)

No, I need the scissors on the 58mm. I just need to make sure the wife has her glasses on before I let her go trim my ear hairs. One time she didn't, and she took a snip on the divot thing sticking out in the middle of the ear. Man, it bled like a stuck pig for like 20 minutes even with pressure on it with a clean paper towel from my pocket. Those scissors are wicked surgical sharp!:oops:
Dumb question: why not have the wife use tweezers on the ear hair? Might still need her glasses, but overall safer for you and hopefully less work for her.

That’s what I’m planning to do. I put it in an envelope with a little note on it to not open it before his 18th. I plan on giving it to him right about that time. But since we’re still in the diaper changing phase, that will be many years from now :)

Soooo Juergen, its been a month now, how ya liking the Rally?

Curious minds want to know! :)

Soooo Juergen, its been a month now, how ya liking the Rally?

Curious minds want to know! :)
It's great, not missing the scissors all that much. But the cap lifter on the little Rally, opens any brew in a drama free fashion. I like that. I know, I know there are one million ways to open a bottle, but nothing beats a dedicated tool 🙂

Back