Cleaning and sharpening questions.

zach2556

Banned
Alright, I got a Buck model number 110 pocket knife. This is one of my favorite knives and don't want it to get messed up, how is the best way to clean this knife? My friend told me to use 3-in-one oil and a wash cloth on the blade, what about the other things, handle and such.

Also, I have a ACCUSHARP handheld sharpener, I don't know if I should keep using this or buy a Smiths sharpening set like this

: http://smithsedge.com/products/product.asp?id=34&cid=21

I want the sharpest blade I can get but I don't know what I should use.

Please help!!

-Zach

Zach:

You might get differing opinions on how to clean the 110, but I would spray it down with WD-40, wipe it clean, and maybe get down in there with a q-tip to clean out any gunk. WD-40 is a combo of a mild solvent (mineral spirits) that evaporates, and a light lubricant (mineral oil) which is the sole ingredient in Johnson's Baby Oil. Some folks have an aversion to WD-40 and thats fine and dandy, but Leatherman recommends it and so does Powernoodle. :)

I have also run knives and multitools through the dishwasher, then get it bone dry with a hair dryer or heat gun (carefully), and then hit it with some light lubricant.

Or, just don't clean it at all unless you get it bloody from processing a deer, or if its just way dirty from general usage. Maybe a small amount of lube on the pivot and thats it.

I use my knives and multitools pretty good, but never seem to need to clean them. I just lube the pivots very lightly, and not often, and just use 'em and don't worry about it. That 110 is going to outlive you, so its all good.

As for sharpening, I generally stink at it, but I use DMT diamond stones and do halfway decent at it. The basic trick is just to maintain the correct angle (blade vs. stone). Maybe practice a little on a kitchen knife or something you don't mind messing up.

:thumbup:

well see i dont trust myself to use a stone where u hold it and angle the knife i have scratched 2 of my favortie knives, so thats why i wanna get one of those sets where its angles and u just slide it

Do you know anything thats a little cheaper, I'm 15 years old and don't have alot of money but need somthing that will keep it sharp.

Zach,Mow some yards this summer and get the BLade Master kit.They're only around 30$ at Smokey Mountain Knife Works. It has everything you'll need.DM

Back