Cold Steel Medium Voyager

In general it seems that whoever they get to make the Voyager line does a good job, and VG-1 steel is actually very decent. It's basically the same as VG-10, but with a slight trade off of edge retention for toughness.

I have three Voyagers, an X2, an XL Tanto and a Medium Clip. They are all very light for their size, great cutters/slicers, and very good edge retention. Tough folders for their weight too.
And the clip points are really just miniature Bowies. :D

The large Voyager is a favorite of mine. It's an older AUS-8. The only negative is that it doesn't "poke" things open due to the clip point.

Other than that, I never could find a fault with it. Steel takes a good edge and can slice through a Vietnamese Bhan Mi sandwich like no one's business.

These days, I keep it in my Maxped PFII in case I grab the bag and forget to pack a folder. Especially if I switch trousers at the last moment.

I have 3 of the Camillus made Country classics (trapper, stockman, and the bird knife with hook, in carbon steel)
plus a medium Vaquero (my 2nd lost the first) both Vaqueros came very very sharp....but I had to make sharper :)
Light, sharp knives....the ones I have aren't junk.

I got one medium and two large Voyagers, and would say they are very good knives. I do not use them often, but that is because I prefer a hole to studs.
They are nice knives, no matter what the company owner says and does.
timann

Of course, I get it today and my first Cold Steel knife is crap. It has a big unfinished divot in the blade tang right where the lockbar rides. So when you open it it almost acts as it has a half stop like a slip joint might. Problem is that this divot is all deformed and happens when the knife is 2/3 of the way open.

This is getting sent back to Knifeworks and I'll replace it with a Spyderco.

Great first experience. :)

Here are some pictures of it.

CSMedVoyagerBlemish2.jpg

CSMedVoyagerBlemish3.jpg

CSMedVoyagerBlemish.jpg

I have a CS Recon 1, and man, it's been through a lot of hard use. Never a problem.
Sharpens up nice and holds the edge very well. For the price it is very tough and I am not afraid to abuse it. I would rather beat up the CS than one of my Emersons.

Well I looked it up on Cold Steels website and you're right. They come like that. My bad. I never would have thought.

Thanks!

I have the gargantuan X2 right here, great knife, it's served me faithfully for many years... but it's just so huge. I would buy a 4'' or 5'' voyager right now if i had the spare monies.

Back