Collectors gear up - HEST/F first run misprint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, it has nothing to do with blade length at all. It's how far the blade sits inside the handle, which is set by the stop pin. RYP has already stated what the fix is, and as long as that fix doesn't allow the lock to move all the way across the backside of the blade, it's a viable fix.

not true.

if the blade were 1/8" longer, and the point dropped a bit, it would sit nicely inside the scales.

I will give you some advice from my other life...if you ever get find or buy any high end first edition collectible product with a misprint. Lock it away. Thats not an excuse its part of the fun. When I was designing and producing The Upper Deck. We had two errors that shot up in value. We corrected them but no one wants those versions. When owners have a chance it will be interesting to see who got the misprint. Mine doesn't have it.

Not to rain on anyone's parade about a "fix" by changing stop pin size.... and correct me if I am wrong.....

BUT, in the closed position the detent ball rests in a hole in the blade.
If a smaller stop pin is installed in the knife, yes... the blade will close further but the ball will no longer rest in the hole.
That means no secure detent in the closed position.

That is in addition to the fact that has already been mentioned about lock engagement will be later with a smaller pin.

I am not complaining at all, just bringing up the point about the detent indexing in the closed position. :)

I wonder if this could have been caused by the stop pin holes being drilled a tiny bit off (too far forward?) from spec rather than the stop pin diameter being too large?

if the blade were 1/8" longer, and the point dropped a bit, it would sit nicely inside the scales.

This will ring true if the knife is never used.
The edge(and tip) will recede every time the blade is sharpened.
A slightly longer blade will prove to be a temporary fix.

This will ring true if the knife is never used.
The edge(and tip) will recede every time the blade is sharpened.
A slightly longer blade will prove to be a temporary fix.

that's true of any folder. with enough sharpenings and enough metal removed the tip will rise above the scale.

You guys are looking at this all wrong! That little gap between the bade tip and scales is a "feature" that's perfect for cutting thread and dental floss and such without needing to open the blade..

You guys are looking at this all wrong! That little gap between the bade tip and scales is a "feature" that's perfect for cutting thread and dental floss and such without needing to open the blade..
Amen brother, I'm with you..... :thumbup:

It was "design feature", not a "design flaw"..... :thumbup: .. :)

Hey All,

Received my knife yesterday (RH Mr. DP #232). My DPs are all correct and my blade has a very small gap at the tip. Smaller, I think than many posted, though it can be a tough call when dealing with enlarged pics. I don't see mine being big enough to be an issue, but am interested in what the proposed fix will be given the many factors a new stop pin could affect.

DPxTip.jpg

-Connor

Alright all y'all trolls this thread is about the LE LEs with the Mr. qb heads. Today I got my LE #51 and it only has Mr. dps on both sides. I only wonder now which there are more of out there. Cool distinction. Mine's the HEST/F(dp)LE and not a HEST/F(qb)LE.

I think this is a cool knife and I'm happy I got it; well worth the wait so thank you RYP and Lionsteel.

We are going to have to think of a rude term for the "qb" subspecies.

"but am interested in what the proposed fix will be given the many factors a new stop pin could affect."

Anglewood we will tune the knife to your satisfaction. Whatever that entails. Even if its a free sharpening, tune and polish or entire replacement or refund. You are the customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back