Company refusing to sell product because of flawed state law interpretation.

I just had a ridiculous experience with a company that refused to sell me a product because I live in California!

The product in question is a dagger which according to their flawed understanding is "illegal here". That is of course total BS. The only restriction is carrying daggers concealed. What is worse, the dagger is a historical replica and it isn't even sharp! Another company affiliated to them has shipped daggers to me with no problem in the past!

The whole issue to me is stupid and after I told them their policy was making them lose money and customers they simply didn't respond further. It almost seems like discrimination to me: refusing to sell a product because of the state I live in. I know my state government is stupid but damn... give me a break.

That sucks. I remember looking through the BudK catalog several years back and seeing the little "Will not ship to CA, etc, etc", even when the items (daggers) were perfectly legal here. That's just the way it goes sometimes. Like you said, it's their loss for not knowing the actual laws.

One problem in this equation are websites that claim to offer detailed "legal" explanations of states knife laws, but get some of them wrong. I've seen a few say that daggers are illegal here in California (52 year resident), which couldn't be further from the truth, and which only demonstrates the worthlessness of those particular sites. But they look good, very professional looking, with maps and color codes, etc, etc, so people believe them. And as if believing them weren't bad enough, then people go around the internet repeating the bad info, and the more other people see it said they think it must be true.

Hopefully you're able to find what you want from somewhere else, and from someone that actually knows the law and wants to make a perfectly legal sale. Good luck.

I feel for you. I ordered a red dot sight from Primary Arms and they cancelled my order. When I called them to ask what happened, they said that they wouldn't ship to CT because it could be used on an "assault weapon". I laughed out loud when they told me that they would waive the restocking fee as a one time courtesy.

I'm hating it for you, but I do see the company's perspective also. They aren't quite sure what your state's laws are, but they do know that you have rabidly hoplophobic DAs and judges who may well sue and find against them whether what they are selling is legal or not. Even if they are ultimately vindicated the legal bills could easily put them out of business. It's just not worth the risk, especially on the assurance of some random customer.

I just had a ridiculous experience with a company that refused to sell me a product because I live in California!

The product in question is a dagger which according to their flawed understanding is "illegal here". That is of course total BS. The only restriction is carrying daggers concealed. What is worse, the dagger is a historical replica and it isn't even sharp! Another company affiliated to them has shipped daggers to me with no problem in the past!

The whole issue to me is stupid and after I told them their policy was making them lose money and customers they simply didn't respond further. It almost seems like discrimination to me: refusing to sell a product because of the state I live in. I know my state government is stupid but damn... give me a break.
Try using a re-shipping service . There’s quite a few companies out there that offer this service. It’s fairly cheap also .
The seller ships to them at their address in your name , they pack it into another box and ship to your home . Great way to skirt interstate product restrictions!

Everyone in California knows historical dagger replicas are the leading cause of wild fires, housing shortages and elderly abuse. Not to mention speeding violations and electrical outages. California is trying to keep you safe.

I live on the island of Los Angeles. Looking for a life raft.

Everyone in California knows historical dagger replicas are the leading cause of wild fires, housing shortages and elderly abuse. Not to mention speeding violations and electrical outages. California is trying to keep you safe.

I live on the island of Los Angeles. Looking for a life raft.
What do you edc?

What do you edc?

6D78AA2F-1C3E-407F-9CED-0C927EDB674D.jpeg

Curtiss F3 Large 👍. Clip fully exposed. Tape residue on the finish. The tool is for opening and breaking down boxes 😂

I’ve stopped carrying fixed blades on my person as our leaders blurred the laws yet again.

I’m definitely not trying to make trouble for myself, or added red tape for any LEO’s.

Our laws are a little confusing since the first of the year.

Last edited:
Try using a re-shipping service . There’s quite a few companies out there that offer this service. It’s fairly cheap also .
The seller ships to them at their address in your name , they pack it into another box and ship to your home . Great way to skirt interstate product restrictions!
I don't feel like supporting that company any further. They don't want to ship to me they can shove the dagger up their asses.

California has no laws against daggers if stored in a home collection. Autos are ok as well - just keep them at home unless the blade is under 2 inches ( 1.75 to be safest ).

You do know Los Angeles has a 3'' blade limit for knives?
Is this another new law ? Since 01/2022 ?

Two years ago I was told by a LEO I could belt carry a 6 inch blade so long as “it’s hanging from a belt, sheathed, and not concealed in any way”. “Any length folding knife can be carried in a pocket, as long as it’s folded”.

I give up. S____ California - Los Angeles anyway. Planning to move to Oregon or Washington within 6 months.

Last edited:
Los Angeles - 3 inch openly carried restriction, California no blade length folder restrictions.

I’ll stop carrying it with the clip exposed. I’m not a lawyer, but, I think that is still within the legal perimeters.

As far as daggers go-

It is perfectly legal under California state law to OPENLY carry a dagger of any size (under California state law ANY item capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon is considered a "dagger", CA penal code 16470). You don't have to leave them at home.

If by "dagger" you are thinking double-edged knives, it is perfectly legal to OPENLY carry a double-edged knife of any size under California state law. There is no state law that prohibits the OPEN carry of fixed-blade double-edged knives.

As far as Los Angeles goes-

Under both LA County and municipal (city) law, openly carried knives must have blades UNDER 3" long. LA county codes 13.62.010 and 13.62.020. LA muni codes Section 55.10 (a) and (b).

Of course there are exceptions to those blade length limits.

There is no 6" length limit in CA state law on openly carried fixed-blades.

The only blade length limits for fixed-blades under California state law are as follows-

CA penal code 626.10- No fixed-blades with blades longer than 2.5" on public or private school grounds grades K-12.

CA penal code 626.10 (2)(b)- No fixed-blades with blades longer than 2.5" on the grounds of any college/university.

CA penal code 171.5 (c)(2)- No fixed-blades with blades longer than 4" in any secure area of an airport.

CA penal code 171b (3)- No fixed-blades with blades longer than 4" in any public meeting.

CA penal code 3453 (o)(1)- Convicted criminals on post-release supervision are not permitted to posses any knives with blades longer than 2".

CA penal code 16260- Any belt buckle knife with a blade 2.5" long or longer is illegal.

There are exceptions to all of those restrictions except the 4" fixed-blades in public meetings and airports, and the belt buckle knives.

I haven't found any new knife laws for either the state of California or Los Angeles for 2022.

Is this another new law ? Since 01/2022 ?

Two years ago I was told by a LEO I could belt carry a 6 inch blade so long as “it’s hanging from a belt, sheathed, and not concealed in any way”. “Any length folding knife can be carried in a pocket, as long as it’s folded”.

I give up. S____ California - Los Angeles anyway. Planning to move to Oregon or Washington within 6 months.
It's been there for a while. It was written because of a bunch of cholos who were intimidating people with machetes in McArthur park or something like that.

I have researched Washington and have come to the conclusion it has worse laws than California. Here you can openly carry a fixed blade. There if you openly carry a fixed blade and someone sees you and "feels threatened by you" you are going to jail and it doesn't matter if you were actually doing something threatening or not. I pass.

Back