Condor Cloudburst vs Council Woodcraft Pack Axe

I just noticed these on the Condor website. They appear to be made to compete with Council's Woodcraft axe. The Cloudburst has 1060 carbon steel and a 23 inch American hickory handle. Note that the bevels on the Cloudburst don't go so far up into the bit like the Woodcraft - a common complaint with Council's design.

http://www.condortk.com/productos-detalle.php?producto=90&cat=63
62705C.jpg

http://counciltool.com/new-wood-craft-axe-line/
WC20PAS24C-500x500.jpg

1060 should harden up just fine for an axe but it will lack the toughness of 5160. OTOH Council never seems to push the hardness of their 5160 as far as they could. Well hardened 1060 might it a run in maintaining sharpness.

No question that Council has the superior steel. Has anyone used them side by side to see which one chops better?

That is interesting Square_peg.

iAQteQd.jpg

Shot Show 2016

Swedish inspired I think he mentioned.

It looks like the heel is slightly longer than the toe? Strange.

While I will take a hatchet with me if I am camping out of a vehicle I have never in my life "processed" fire wood for a camp fire, as in sawing, chopping and splitting. I am not a bushcrafter so I guess I just don't get it.

this is like Mtech knives versus the real knife, it'll do but its never as nice as the real deal

ok wow i looked at the video, that thing is a 1/4" thick at the edge and the bevel is 45 degrees. now thats something for the angle grinder to get a hold of

The edges come thick from the factory, but that's fixable. The steel and heat treatment is good as well. One thing that bothers me with them is they suffer from "pre-worn toe syndrome" and need to either be hung more closed or have some material taken off the heel to present the bit right.

This video shows the flattish thick cheeks, starting around 1:15

Looks like there's enough meat there that you could convex the cheeks yourself and have a nice little axe. Obviously the thick bit needs re-profiled too. It looks like it has potential to compete in its market.

I would have to question the position of the ears on that head also.

So many questions with it, modification. I would just get a good vintage one and be done with it.

Cool factor?

Bob
True enough! When the toe looks to be differentially worn (this is probably intentional from both companies) it makes the 'savvy' owner appear to have put a lot of time and miles on the implement. Same idea as forking over a premium for 'distressed' jeans. Why waste time becoming active and getting dirty when another $100 buys you that 'look' right off the shelf.

Back