Condor Woodworker Axe

I watched a Dave Canterbury video on how to make a Kuksa and tracked down the axe he used to rough shape a log. It was a Condor Woodworker axe, and wonder if anyone here had any experience with it? Thanks, John

FortyTwoBlades. I see it for just under $40 on one site to about $50 on other sites. I am wondering about its quality and ability to do general wood working? On you tube I saw several postings that their axe had come very dull and needed a lot of work to make a decent edge, is that your experience too? Thanks, John

They do generally benefit from a bit of thinning out, yes. However, they're very nice quality for the price. They work quite well for general woodworking and also camping duties besides. The handles are sometimes on the thick side, but that's easy to fix with a spokeshave and scraper.

Last edited:
I've always heard good things and I think Dave is pretty well experienced as end users are concerned (and I wanted to add that I would vouch for 42's advice on the subject as well). I've been tempted so many times to buy something from Condor (I have a want list), just haven't made it happen yet.

The heat treatment is nice for a user, in my experience. It's hard enough to take and hold a very nice edge and soft enough not to get chipped by knots and easy to iron out damage on 'em.

I have the 2.25 pound Greenland axe (basically a Hudson Bay style head on a 23 inch handle). It's a pretty nice axe with great fit and finish. It also comes with a really good leather mask. I got a pretty good deal on Amazon and it was worth it.

Back