[Contest] Any love for the Fehrman Thru Hiker?

'Cuz there's no love here!

792850895_3ybDp-L.jpg

My problem with this knife is that I never found the handle to be comfortable. I tried...really tried. I mean, what's not to like about 3 inches of Fehrman S3V? But the bumps and curves are in the wrong spots for me and I never use it.

So I'm giving this one to a good home:

Post why you think you need this knife...a Thru Hiker...despite it's weird handle.

I'll pick a winner at random, but you must have some story or reason to own this knife. I'll pick the winner tomorrow around 1800 MST.

Bonne chance!

(Note the knife is in good condition and comes with a kydex neck sheath, but as seen in the picture, the finish does have a small chip near the tip)

Ha. My first post on this forum and it's going down like this!!

Why do I need a small knife? Well, I guess I don't really need it. I do like it, though, and I don't currently own a working fixed-blade.

I'm just getting into making knives. Made one a long time ago and misplaced it. Too bad, too, as it had a nice braintan/rawhide sheath with it.

When I look at your blade, I can see how difficult it might be to hold onto and work with. The handle is mighty short and thin.

But, there's a puzzle to be solved and I see taking it to visit my 12" disc grinder and redoing the handle to take some micarta slabs. Maybe a chili pepper handle to increase the length and give it a bit of palm swell.

Another option would be to grind it to a stick tang and use a bit of the antler I have laying around to give it a nice old-school look.

I'm currently working to reshape a Russel Green River knife to a better profile/shape and better handle material, so I know how fun it is to take a so-so knife and turn it into something sweet that you can actually use.

Small knives rock, and I'd love the chance to see what I can do with yours.

ETA: looking at it again, I could really see that finish being sanded off and a mustard etch applied. I haven't done that before and don't know how the s30v would take it, but.... And the blade shape is just right for 90% of what I do in the woods, so I'm thinking it would look best with a regrind of the handle area and some judicious use of antler. Add a simple leather sheath and you're set to get to skinning critters or whittling away the hours.

Last edited:
I don't need it, but I'd sure love to have it! I've never had the chance to play with a Fehrman before, though I've heard great things about them. Besides, my lady got me a dremel for Christmas and I haven't had the chance to bust it out yet. I bet I could make that handle comfy in no time. You know what? I do need it--to have a reason to use that dremel and make my lady happy she got it for me. :D

Well, I've never had a Fehrman. Never had a neck knife with no scales. Never tried a 3V knife. Never had a coated knife.

...And I'd love to on all the above! :D Thanks for the giveaway!

because I dropped 140 dollars on a HEST 3 months ago and have not carried a folding knife since-unfortunately I've used and abused it so much I think it's about ready to get a stripper bath, a silicone coat and retire to the back of the desk drawer. I need a new EDC knife of comparable quality and this would fit the bill superbly! I spend 3-4 days a week backpacking backcountry so this knife will DEFINATELY be used. Thanks much!

I would like to give the Fehrman knife to my son to use on father/ son camping and hunting trips. Thanks for the give away.

I don't really need this knife, certainly I think we all have enough sharp edges around us. I like small knives, thats a very interesting looking neck knife, and I don't think the handle looks at all uncomfortable after a cord wrap.

Last edited:
I don`t need this knife!!! This knife needs me for a grinder redesign. i agree with you that that handle looks terrible. would need to be redone IMO. Come on Rotte give in to what the knife is saying, it want me. it keeps calling me late at night and asking what my grinder is up to. so send it over or tell it to stop calling. hahaha :D:D:D:D

Edit
I would like to give it to my step son to take to Iraq

I would also like to cast my vote for caine to give to his step son

Last edited:
Why? Because its a small covenient size to just slip in the coat pocket as you head out the door...
good cotest, thanks. Drew

I see taking it to visit my 12" disc grinder and redoing the handle to take some micarta slabs.

I had the same thought, but decided to do a giveaway instead. :eek:

Welcome to Bladeforums. I hope you enjoy this place as much as I do! :thumbup:

Edit: Give my entry to Caine... he's got a solid reason.

Last edited:
I don't need any knife, but I have always wanted to try a Fehrman, and the 3V steel they use. If I didnt like the knife, I would give it away like yourself :)

I've never gotten to try 3V, and the design looks like something I'd use.

I would like to have this knife so I can try out a Fehrman - and if I find it doesn't fit my hands, I'll give it to my little brother for his next trip to the sandbox.

I think you should send this knife to me...so I can put some natural canvas micarta slabs on it, and send it back to you...really bro, I bet that would make one serious woods knife, and I would love to handle it for you...no cost. Gene

I would like to have this knife to take on my trip hiking along the Appalacian Trail with my friend the last week of April. We are doing a 5 -6 day hike starting in Pearisburg VA. He lives in VA and I live in Indiana. I think it would be neat to give it to him one evening while we sit around the camp fire. The only knife he has is a small imported multi-tool.

Back