Coupla Crowfoots

Rob Simonich

Big Bear
Here is a couple I just finished up today, the Camop one has the DLC coating and Carbon Fiber that is trimmed off F-18 Strike Eagle War Planes during manufacture.

The other has Blue Carbon Fiber and fully DLC coated blade. The blue is fairly mute in this stuff, but it is pretty none the less. This DLC coating is the best I have ever used!

Specs,

Blade - 3" .125 thick S30-V
Overall - 7 1/4"
Hardness - Heat and Cryo treated by Paul Bos to RC 59-60
Finish - Satin Stone Wash
Handles - Contoured G-10
Weight - 2.8 oz without sheath. With Sheath 3.8 oz
Sheath - Concealex neck sheath supplied with 27" Para Chain, Drilled for mini Tek-Lock

Attachments

• mvc-009f.jpg
    mvc-009f.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 586
F-18 "Hornet, or Super Hornet," Rob!!! Man o' Man, you can't teach an injun anything these days!!;)

Those are slick! I really like the blue CF one.
Are these "Mid-Techs with options" or custom? (curious about the price)
Ever make any wharncliffe versions?
While I'm peppering you with questions...
Are you ever going to start taking orders again?:)

Ryan, I never could tell the difference! :p Whats the Strike Eagle?

Owen, they are Mid-Tech blades with hand made handles. It will be a while before the Wharencliffs come out.

Wont be taking orders for quite a while yet...........

Here is one in Red Carbon Fiber with the other 2. Can you tell I like carbon fiber? :p

Attachments

• mvc-005f.jpg
    mvc-005f.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 362
Hi Rob,

Yes, I think we get the idea that you like carbon fiber. :p

So now that you posted pictures of 5 knives with beautiful carbon fiber handles, I want to know how practical it is on a knife one intends on using. I have been told that it works, however, the only ones I have seen were slippery. Further, I have seen it splinter, around handle pins. For all I know, there may be several different types, depending on how it is processed and bonded.

So it is presumably is strong and light(?), can it be finished to look nice, and still provide a good grip. Can it be finished with Gunner Grip (TM) texturing? In other words, can it be substituted for Micarta and G-10, and have those good qualities, yet have that nice great look? Does it cost much more?

Oh, and one last question, how do you like my current avatar? ;)

Look familiar?

Regards,
Donald

On a knife like the crowfoot, the carbon fiber should make little to no difference. The index finger in the kerambit style hole pretty much provides all the grip you could ask for. I have seen no problems with the CF delaminating around the pins.

Rob,
In this post and the following, you can see the differences. First one here is the F-15E Strike Eagle. It is the ground attack version of the F-15C Eagle air superiority fighter.

And finally, the culprit most likely responsible for the CF you are using. The F-18F Super Hornet is the current production model of the F-18 family. Basically a super sized version of the original Hornet. It is designed to be the Navy's premier air to air AND air to ground fighter. Pretty sweet seeing what the handles come from, huh?!? Makes it all the more desireable in my opinion. Hope you enjoyed the pictoral journey through aviation knife making!

Rob,
Now you have to convince Duane to hook you up with some of the mini-gun barrel steel to make a few knives with the Super Hornet CF. That way you can do a Mini-gun/Super Hornet knife. Call it the surplus or something like that, hehe.:D

Ryan, those pictures ROCK! Ill have to give Duane a call on getting a piece of that steel. I would hate to give up my barrels to make steel but what a cool factor for a OEF knife! :eek:

Donald, cool Avatar! :) I have never seen splinters on properly finished Carbon Fiber, the trick is to not have any sharp edges and use care working the stuff. It makes a great handle and I agree it is a bit slick if polished to show the weave the best. I prefer G-10 for handles that need more grip. G-10 is also about 1/4 the price of CF.

Damn - nice knives Rob!

If I buy enough of them, I should be able to make an F-18 of my very own! :p

If you look at my avatar, you'll see an f-18 breaking through mach 1. Both the 15 and 18 are built here in St. Louis by Boeing (formerly McDonnel Douglas). Jeez, I may have to get one of your knives now.

Glad you like it Rob. It's a pic of your tax dollars hard at work! (takes a whole mess of guys like you and me paying taxes to build one of these)

Back