CRK Lockbar Stabilizer

Maybe this has already been answered, but why wouldn’t CRK just go ahead and put an LBS on the Inkosi and Sebenza instead of only having it on the Umnumzaan?

What for? Ruining the clean looks? I've never felt the need for one on my Sebenzas.

Maybe this has already been answered, but why wouldn’t CRK just go ahead and put an LBS on the Inkosi and Sebenza instead of only having it on the Umnumzaan?
It was an add on to the Zaan because of the very positive unlocking with the raised tab. It’s not needed on the others and rightfully so. The Zaan was to be a “ tac“ kinda knife but it didnt have the LBS for a couple years.

The Inkosi and God forbid the Sebenza with a LBS would be a massive waste of clean and efficient design.

It was an add on to the Zaan because of the very positive unlocking with the raised tab. Its not needed on the others and rightfully so.
You mean that the added traction on the ‘Zaan was such that there was an unprecedented need for the stabilizer? I tried both knives, and the raised tab with the notch on the ‘Zaan was so uncomfortable in comparison to the Inkosi that I’d never push on it as hard as I do the Inkosi.

You mean that the added traction on the ‘Zaan was such that there was an unprecedented need for the stabilizer? I tried both knives, and the raised tab with the notch on the ‘Zaan was so uncomfortable in comparison to the Inkosi that I’d never push on it as hard as I do the Inkosi.
You get used to it and being used w/ gloves was a factor in Chris’s design. It was only added after repairs were made to the Zaan from the absence of an over travel stop. Remember what made the CRK folding knife that which all others became compared to was that they are simple and efficient. Only what you need not a bunch of wasted crap.

Ive pushed the Zaan lock bar to the stop many times at work with gloves on. You never will with the Inkosi as it doesn’t have the material or angle to do so.

I think I understand what you’re saying. Even though when I use my Inkosi I push the lock bar face a millimeter or so out past the face of the rest of the scale, that’s not as far as if I pushed the ‘Zaan to the added stop. Is that correct?

A LBS can be mounted on the inside of the lockbar. Ive seen knives where the hardened steel insert for the lock bar also serves as a LBS, which is a very elegant solution in my view. Sebenzas & Inkosis don't have steel inserts, but a hidden LBS would easily be possible. The pivot bushing on a Sebenza isn't strictly essential, and a one-sided thumb stud doesn't exactly improve function either (quite to the contrary, actually), so why not a LBS? It wouldn't effect the looks at all. I'm not sure if its possible to simply integrally mill a stabilizer tab directly into the lockbar, alone with a corresponding cutout in the scale, but if it is that makes it even better, no added parts.

I'm happy with the Sebenza as it is, however a lockbar stabilizer (not just an overtravel stop) might stop the lockbar flex that bothers some people. Talking about the 31.
Wait, I was operating under the assumption that a lockbar stabilizer and a travel stop were the same thing. Wrong?

A LBS can be mounted on the inside of the lockbar. Ive seen knives where the hardened steel insert for the lock bar also serves as a LBS, which is a very elegant solution in my view. Sebenzas & Inkosis don't have steel inserts, but a hidden LBS would easily be possible. The pivot bushing on a Sebenza isn't strictly essential, and a one-sided thumb stud doesn't exactly improve function either (quite to the contrary, actually), so why not a LBS? It wouldn't effect the looks at all. I'm not sure if its possible to simply integrally mill a stabilizer tab directly into the lockbar, alone with a corresponding cutout in the scale, but if it is that makes it even better, no added parts.
But to what point? How would adding something not needed make the Sebenza better?

But to what point? How would adding something not needed make the Sebenza better?
So... you cant overextend the lock bar? Isn't that the function of a LBS? How would adding one take anything away? Like I wrote, there are already features on the Sebenza which aren't strictly needed, so why not a LBS?

How does having a thumb stud only on the right side make the Sebenza better? So that I cant open it with my left hand should my right ever be full while I'm working on something?

So... you cant overextend the lock bar? Isn't that the function of a LBS? How would adding one take anything away? Like I wrote, there are already features on the Sebenza which aren't strictly needed, so why not a LBS?

How does having a thumb stud only on the right side make the Sebenza better? So that I cant open it with my left hand should my right ever be full while I'm working on something?
Show me one example in 33 years of a Sebenza failing because of no LBS. And what pray tell is on the Sebenza that isn’t needed? The pivot bushing IS the design feature that made it the Sebenza

If you want a bunch of added parts and accessories buy a different knife. If you want the folding knife that inspired countless others and has pretty much remained true to its roots then buy a Sebenza.

Sounds like you are trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist. If CRK was getting a lot in for repair with this problem, I am sure they would have addressed it both verbally and physically. I have never heard any complaints on the matter.

As for the other thumbstud, it’s not needed as they make lefty knives. Can you add one or even buy one with it? Yes. If you bought one without that’s on you not the design. Only having one doesn’t make it better it makes it what Chris designed. It doesn’t need to be made better as it’s what it was designed to be a Sebenza.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, they were added because on the early ones people were “adjusting” the lock bar tension. This caused excess warranty work. The reason being was because of the minimal access to the lock bar release.

Since we’re discussing Sebenza design:

While the sebenza is an iconic design, I think its not without some flaws. Of course this is all just my opinion but I don’t like the design of the thumb studs at all. Having them come to a point just kills the thumb.

My biggest complaint would be the handle design by the choil. First the notch out for access to the lockbar is too big and affects the feel in hand. Then it has a second half choil or I don’t know what to call it at the very front of the handle. Why doesn’t it continue down to complete the main choil? I would much prefer having my pointer finger locked in with a full choil than maybe being able to move my grip up a 1/2” on that half choil which I assume it’s for. Here’s a picture to clarify what I’m talking about.

Yall know I’m a big CRK fan as well but I do think there’s some room for improvement. Again, just my opinion on potential improvements. I still love them and they deserve their place on the top.

IMG_0681.jpeg

I'm not getting into silly arguments over a piece of titanium & steel. If you believe that CRK can do no wrong, and that nothing ever could possibly be improved upon the design, then that's your prerogative. As far as this comment goes:

If you want the folding knife that inspired countless others and has pretty much remained true to its roots then buy a Sebenza.
I cant, they discontinued it! lol!

Sounds like you are trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist. If CRK was getting a lot in for repair with this problem, I am sure they would have addressed it both verbally and physically. I have never heard any complaints on the matter.
Since we’re discussing Sebenza design:

While the sebenza is an iconic design, I think its not without some flaws. Of course this is all just my opinion but I don’t like the design of the thumb studs at all. Having them come to a point just kills the thumb.

My biggest complaint would be the handle design by the choil. First the notch out for access to the lockbar is too big and affects the feel in hand. Then it has a second half choil or I don’t know what to call it at the very front of the handle. Why doesn’t it continue down to complete the main choil? I would much prefer having my pointer finger locked in with a full choil than maybe being able to move my grip up a 1/2” on that half choil which I assume it’s for. Here’s a picture to clarify what I’m talking about.

Yall know I’m a big CRK fan as well but I do think there’s some room for improvement. Again, just my opinion on potential improvements. I still love them and they deserve their place on the top.

View attachment 2362009
Ah man, I love that spot on my Inkosi Tanto. The Inkosi also has a smoothed out notch on the spine, just past the jimping (don’t know if the Sebenza has that). Thumb tip on the spine notch with inside tip of pointer finger in the spot you circled equals fine detailed work for me!

Back