Croatian knives

CJZ

I like collecting knives from different regions and countries of the world.
American, Japanese, German, so on. Fine cutlery from countries like Spain, Italy, France, England, so on, interest me.
But what I havnt seen?
Production folding knives from Croatia.
Im 50% Croatian, and im quite interested in production (not custom!) knives from there.
Got any? Please post pictures and information.
Thanks,
Chris

Hmmmm.... About the only Croatian knife that I know of has a really horrible history. A knife called a Srbosjek. It looked like a glove with a blade sticking out the bottom. They were infamously used to slit the throats of prisoners in Croatian concentration camps in WWII.

Hmmmm.... About the only Croatian knife that I know of has a really horrible history. A knife called a Srbosjek. It looked like a glove with a blade sticking out the bottom. They were infamously used to slit the throats of prisoners in Croatian concentration camps in WWII.

That knife is an agricultural tool, not a specialized execution tool.:rolleyes:

They certainly did a good job of designing the HS-2000, which later became the Springfield Armory XP that was made in Croatia and then became the XD . I'm not aware of any knives, but I'm sure there has to be some out there.

There is a Croatian custom maker who makes nice knives, but I don't recall his name. He is a forum member, I believe.

That knife is an agricultural tool, not a specialized execution tool.:rolleyes:

Right, they were originally designed to cut wheat, but they are much better known for their darker use.

Srbosjek_%28knife%29_used_in_Croatia_-_1941%E2%80%931945.jpg

In the Jasenovac concentration camp competitions in speedy slaughter were organized. The winner of one competition allegedly slit the throats of 1360 prisoners using one of these.

The name Srbosjek translates to "Serb Cutter" and it was commonly reffered to as a "Cutthroat".

There is a Croatian custom maker who makes nice knives, but I don't recall his name. He is a forum member, I believe.

no offence to D'Borg, but does any one else read his comments in the voice of Patrick Steward??? I love reading his comments because they are always in an english in my head haha :D

Rah-ther, old chap. Oh, is the guy who makes Dalibors a Croatian?

no offence to D'Borg, but does any one else read his comments in the voice of Patrick Steward??? I love reading his comments because they are always in an english in my head haha :D

I like collecting knives from different regions and countries of the world.
American, Japanese, German, so on. Fine cutlery from countries like Spain, Italy, France, England, so on, interest me.
But what I havnt seen?
Production folding knives from Croatia.
Im 50% Croatian, and im quite interested in production (not custom!) knives from there.
Got any? Please post pictures and information.
Thanks,
Chris

Hello Chris !
My name is Denis Budak , I'm from Zagreb/Croatia !
please entries "Budak" in forum search and you'll see my work ..
thanks in advance

here are some of my knives ...

sorry for a lot of pics :)

best regards from Croatia
Denis

hello Dan , thank you again ! :)
now you have two-three on the way , right ? ;)
regards
Denis

A third on the way.. so far :) I'm trying to buy up as many as I can before the word gets out.

Great work Denis.

Regards,
Dan

20130505_203939_zps1129e1ed.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I bought this about 40 years ago at the border croatia - montenegro and was told it was a local productio, Then I found very similar one in Trikala, Greece. For shure ii share with alla other knifes I collected from agricoltural and sheepards coultures alla over mediterranea the thoughnees and usefull designe: hig carbon hand forged blade and mouton or goath horn.
here some others
20130505_203957_zps34b19ac5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks for the input, Denis :)
Your work is quite beautiful.
Hello Chris !
My name is Denis Budak , I'm from Zagreb/Croatia !
please entries "Budak" in forum search and you'll see my work ..
thanks in advance

here are some of my knives ...

sorry for a lot of pics :)

best regards from Croatia
Denis

Great work, Denis! I'm going to check out your stuff.
What a nice assortment, Stelug.
I'm in the same situation as CJZ; I'm about half Croatian and looking for something that might be representative of what's carried over there. Maybe something else will pop up...

Great work, Denis! I'm going to check out your stuff.
What a nice assortment, Stelug.
I'm in the same situation as CJZ; I'm about half Croatian and looking for something that might be representative of what's carried over there. Maybe something else will pop up...

thank you Sir .
please check my knives here on the Bladeforum and on the Facebook Profile/Site ..
best regards
Denis Budak

Back