Custom Low Rider pocket clips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Matt. I did make one for a barrel clip one time. I thought it was fine but it broke. Later I did one more I had forgotten totally about until I found a picture of it and the problem is that the hole for that barrel is so big that it makes it very hard for me to make it. Oh, its no problem at all to drill the hole don't get me wrong. What is hard is making the fold over so the clip is a low rider. The wider titanium gets the harder and harder it is to bend and when doing it with my tools the way I'm set up that was a tough clip to pull off both times as are all the 'fat boy' clips which I have to warn you are more $ just because of that added time and difficulty.

I could rid the knife of the barrel clip altogether and just put a new one there threading into the FRN. Contrary to what many think FRN actually can and does hold threads quite well and I have some out there still working over 10 years old. Actually in my experience FRN holds threads better than G10, G11 or Micarta. The secret of course with all of these style folders when threaded on their own with no steel or titanium liners underneath is that you never overtighten the screws but only take them down to snug. And also, that you never use loctite or super glue or any other type glue or stickum in the holes or on the threads. Using glue works once. Then the first time that you back out a screw it strips your threads for good and pulls them out with the screw.

It also helps a whole lot to not make a habit of taking the clip on and off a lot. You can get by 5 to 10 times if you are careful but I'd suggest not taking it off once I set it on there.

Let me know your thoughts and we'll go from there.

Thanks for asking

STR

Hmm, alright so it wouldnt have to be a "fat boy" clip as long as its functional. Where abouts would the new holes be drilled for placement? on either side of the lanyard hole or where the barrel clip used to be, or further towards the very end of the butt of the handle? Would the mounting surface of the new clip cover the existing hole? I guess pictures would help but I dont want you to have to spend your time finding me a picture, if you can direct me to one you have already done that would be great. Thanks for the quick reply.

Matt

I know I have done at least one but can't find any pics of it so apparently I either never took any of them or it was one of the pics lost when the blade forums crashed or when I accidentally broke a back up disc in half that I had full of pictures.

Sorry.

STR

How about a low-rider ti clip for a byrd Meadowlark G-10? I prefer left-handed tip-up. There are existing holes that I think you could use?

I have to pick between dark bronze or blue-jean-blue... I'm sure I would like both.

Am I right that it would be $30 plus $7 shipping? What payment methods do you prefer?

Cool forum and lots of great work STR.

Nick

Oh also - is it possible to put a left handed clip on the Spyderco mini-Persian? It is right-hand only from the factory with micarta handle and steel liner.

Have you ever made any wire clips? I put a wire clip from a Spyderco S onto a Native and it worked great. I am considering making or buying some wire clips to use on my other barrel-bolt-clip Spydercos and I was curious if you have ever made them.

I've attempted a couple times to mess around with wire clips but found them to be too labor intensive to justify selling for what folks would pay. Its bad enough with the low rider. Folding over titanium is not for the faint at heart.

Email me and we'll go over methods of payment Lgtfutatcableone.net (replace at with @ of course before submitting)

Also, Please note I am closing this thread. This thread was started and used before my forum was started but now that I have a forum of my own I decided to leave this here for the pictures and information only. Please ask any question by starting a new thread of your own. Thanks.

Thanks

STR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back