CUSTOM MACHETE Challenge!

Awesome so far! Do you have any feedback as to why you think Rick's parang got stick in thicker wood?

~Noah

Operator error. I assume you mean when I was using my baton to split that bigger log. Some pieces split easily, some not. No sense forcing it. I already broke my baton beating on it. Sometimes it is best not to try splitting in half, but to take it in smaller bits. I am sure that with a bigger baton I could have eventually forced the parang through. You want to see a wood splitter? You'll love the Siegle Bolo. :D

Operator error. I assume you mean when I was using my baton to split that bigger log. Some pieces split easily, some not. No sense forcing it. I already broke my baton beating on it. Sometimes it is best not to try splitting in half, but to take it in smaller bits. I am sure that with a bigger baton I could have eventually forced the parang through. You want to see a wood splitter? You'll love the Siegle Bolo. :D

Ahh, I see--I was just curious if you thought there was something in the design that didn't lend itself to that particular task, since it looks like it would be well suited for it, really. I've only ever used a splitting maul for large pieces of wood, so I'm relatively inexperienced with batonning. As for the Bolo, trust me, I'm waiting for it as well :)

~Noah

Now this is a serious chopper. While not much larger than Marchand's Parang, it weighs nearly twice as much. That's good and bad. It's good if you are chopping and splitting wood, a bit tiring if you are hacking your way through thick brush all day. Bill's Beast weighs about 30 oz with a 13" blade and 18 1/2" OL. The well shaped G10 scale handle really works well for my big hand.
The tree I had just felled with the parang was too heavy for me to carry to the chopping area, so I used the bolo to take a few sections off the top to lighten the load. This bolo works like an axe! And the handle did not sting my hand as much as the one on the parang. Part of that is due to the extra weight, I'm sure.
SiegleBolo001.jpg

SiegleBolo003.jpg

SiegleBolo004.jpg

SiegleBolo005.jpg

SiegleBolo007.jpg

Once I got the log light enough for me to lift and carry, I used the bolo on some limber vegetation, just to see how it did. It can do it fine, but it takes a bit more effort than the parang did. It's just a heavier, slower blade.

SiegleBolo008.jpg

SiegleBolo009.jpg

It did a fine job on the palmettos, too.
SiegleBolo010.jpg

SiegleBolo012.jpg

Last edited:
After chopping the tree into sections, I hauled the trunk to the chopping area. I guess chopping now is redundant. I mean, I already know this thing is a killer chopper. So I decided to split some wood, using a big heavy magnum baton!
SiegleBolo013.jpg

SiegleBolo014.jpg

SiegleBolo015.jpg

SiegleBolo017.jpg

After all that chopping and splitting, the edge is still fine. This is a heck of a camp machete. The extra weight and that perfect handle make chopping and splitting wood an easy chore.
SiegleBolo018.jpg

SiegleBolo019.jpg

If heavy duty camp knives are your thing, this one is hard to beat. While it has a totally different feel than the light handy parang, this one is better for those heavier jobs. But for backpacking or slashing through brush all day, the parang would be better. It is interesting to see the differences in design and experience first hand what those differences mean in use. I really like this knife a lot, too. The handle is just about perfect for me. :D:thumbup:

man! Those are some rugged tests!!!! Great job on the evaluation and the makers, so far!

I'm startin to sweat.....:eek:

man! Those are some rugged tests!!!! Great job on the evaluation and the makers, so far!

I'm startin to sweat.....:eek:

Guess what? Yours is next, David. With rain threatening, I'm trying my best to get as much done today as I can before it gets dark. :eek:

Yeah, it's funny watching your posts as the storms are passing over here headed your way....

make that bast@rd chop!

I'm dying to see the Farmer. I've often heard of the legendary Farmer sharpness, it will be interesting to see it up against the others.

Rain is threatening. I will have to move fast. Sweetgum Suckers, I'm coming to get you!
Farmer001.jpg

Prepare to be made into sweetgum salad!
Farmer002.jpg

Farmer003.jpg

David says his machete entry was inspired by a Filipino knife called the Matulis. Whatever we call it, it is more pointed than any traditional machete. The way the handle swells toward the end makes it secure when swinging it and slashing brush or whatever. This thing would make a wicked fighter. As you can see, it does a pretty good job of slashing brush. This knife is light and fast in the hand. At 22 oz with a 14 1/2" blade, it feels lighter than it is. Overall length is nearly 21 1/2". While it cut very well, the Parang cut a bit cleaner. Maybe it was my technique, but it still did very well. I checked the edge, and it is plenty sharp. It does a number on the palmettos.
Farmer004.jpg

That Bocote wood handle is beautiful, and fortunately, it feels good, too. David's knife came with a biodegradable cardboard sheath, in honor of Earth Day. But we already knew this was a good slasher when I used it the other day. Is it up to some serious work?
Out at the chopping block I quickly learned that the sweet spot on this knife is well down from the tip. It bites deeply into the wood and chopped quite well once I learned how to use it properly.
Farmer007.jpg

Farmer008.jpg

Farmer009.jpg

Farmer010.jpg

Well sure, it chops fine. But would I dare to hammer this 1/8" thick slasher with my big new baton and split some gnarly wood with it? I would. :D

You better baton that bast@rd.....:thumbup:

Yep, the sweet spot is about mid of the blade, deeper than most machetes.

I was a little nervous doing this, but knowing the blade was differentially tempered, I figured it could handle the stesses.
Farmer012.jpg

Check out my Magnum Baton! This thing hits with authority.
Farmer013.jpg

Well, alright! The blade made it through with no damage at all.
Farmer014.jpg

Farmer015.jpg

It started raining, so I had to cut the photo taking short. So what do I think of this Matulis Machete? It reminds me of a Bark River Golok that I ground to a point. You lose some of that end chopping efficiency when you taper it to a point. But it still does quite well as a short machete and that point could be useful for drilling or even sticking things. I would certainly feel secure carrying this knife down in the swamps where the gators and wild hogs roam.

A lot of this is just my preference and opinion. I'll try to be as objective as possible, but as a long time chopper user, I have my preferences. I still have the two big bolo machetes from Culberson and Koyote to do. Those are some seriously hard core heavy machetes. I'll get to them when the weather breaks. So far, I am very impressed with all these custom machetes, and I hope the readers here on the forum enjoy this little review as much as I enjoy doing it. Later.

having beat up one similar from David, I know that thing is a sweet chopper. I did some poky on the pell in the backyard with his (like, his personal one), too - and damn but it is fine to stab with. Totally everglade beast knife, for sure.

Yeah his pig sticker can take a beating, for sure. It is an awesome knife in the hand. Its fighter heritage just comes through when you use it. And works just fine as a machete. I am in awe of these customs. I feel very lucky to get to use them. :thumbup::D

Would make one hell of a pigsticker, too! I haven't followed this thread much but it definately inspired some awesome designs. This is how we take the future of wilderness tool technology back from the mall ninjas. Awesome work everyone, I'm fascinated.

Last edited:
Great stuff HD. Can't wait to hear about the next two- those bolo designs and long handles are doing it for me!

Good job Vic !! Really nice to see guys send their steel and have it put through the paces. Looking forward to the videos for sure.Thanks

Great job Vic. I like your "get to the point" kind of reviewing. Brian Andrews did one of the most comprehensive reviews I've seen on these forums... a tough act to follow... but you nailed it bro! Totally different style, but just as effective and entertaining. Can't compare the two, really.

That Siegle is a badass blade... I knew my parang wouldn't outchop it. I felt that Bill's blade was the closest in looks to mine. I'm glad there was enough separation in design not to pit us head to head (or ounce to ounce).

The Farmer is in a class of its own... superb blade and my personal favorite.

Bruce and Christof are going to be toe to toe in this one, I think. The designs are so similar, that it's going to come down to subtle nuances in feel and edge geometry. You have saved the best for last, IMO. There is nothing quite like an evenly matched fight.

I can't wait....

Rick

I like Rick's as a bush tool- and he's just excellent at that. I like Bill's as a tree felling mondo blade (something I enjoy making), I have handled a similar farmer and it's just such a wicked, wicked blade, which results in a personal "I know how that feels" bias.

The next phase is scary and exciting. With no competitive feeling at all, I'm really looking forward to seeing how close we both are to similar performance. More like, how do we stack up against the archetypal "Joezilla designed" bolochete, rather than each other.

Back