D2, A2, O1, or 1095. Whats best for a chopper???

What steel would be the best for a solid rough use knife D2, A2, O1, or 1095??
what do u guys think?

Any of the steel above is just part of the equation. HT, grinds and weights sorta complete it.

I will take 1095 out of the 4 you mentioned, as a blade i prefer for a solid chopper.

So much depends on a heat treat. All four steels you list are great, but I admit a fondness for A2 and 1095 in a chopper.

It's hard to beat good old 1095. If you want better edge holding, maybe 01 or A2. I've heard so many mixed reviews about D2 in a chopper, I'd probably pass on it. By chopper, I'm guessing you're meaning blades at least 10" long.

I would say A2 or not on the list 52100 or 5160.

Since no one else has said it yet I'll go ahead and get it out of the way, INFI.

If you are making, choose a basic steel. 10XX series steel (1080 etc) is going to be easier to heat treat.

If some one is making it, I would probably take the A2 out of the steels you have listed.

As others have mentioned (52100 and 5160) are solid performers in big impact choppers.

CMP REX 121 is gnarly stuff, but expensive as heck.

Infi is great in a chopper, if you are looking to buy a Busse.

Any of the 4 you listed will be fine, as long as the geometry and heat treat are done well.

Check out the chopper by G L Drew for 280.00 in the for sale fixed blades section. It is 5160 and 1/4 inch. Heat treat has been mentioned, but for a chopper you want to still be able to sharpen it in the field if needed when the time comes, so I say 5160, 10xx series or 01.

Thank you guys for your input it is very helpful. I have to say I really thought More people would choose D2, to the best of my knowledge this far it is the strongest out of them four and can be hardened to a lil over 60 rc. And it is the most expensive of the four. Am I wrong? Is D2 not the strongest of them?

I really only work with those four so far. I hope to look into the different steels you guys are talking about and start working with them aswell.

Strength is a specific steel property, while you would also be looking for toughness. You neither want your blade to ripple at the edge nor break. A2 would be maybe twice the toughness of D2, both at the same hardness of 60, which is one measurement of strength. Rex 121 has ridiculously low toughness in comparison and ridiculously high wear resistance. It really isn't a steel for high impact, but Farid proves that volume of steel is also a way to increase tool toughness.

well i think im going to get some 5160 it is pretty cheap much cheaper then A2 and D2. And from what i hear u guys say its pretty good. I just bought some 1095 form nj steel baron, but next buy will prob be 5160 or maby even 52100 its a lil more $ what u guys think worth it or not??

Back