Danner boots - help!

Hey Guys,

I just picked up my first pair of Danners - Acadias. I went to a shop that sells a lot of boots and made sure I had someone that knew how to fit a boot, so I think they fit well, they feel good.

I have a few questions which I should have asked the shop, but I figure you guys can give me some good experience tips...

First, they came with some white heel inserts made of a plastic material. Do you all used these?

Second, is there anything I should do to make sure they last a long time?

Third, is there anything I should do to break them in properly? They're pretty stiff now but still pretty comfortable.

Thanks everyone,

Originally posted by kinzli
Hey Guys,

I just picked up my first pair of Danners - Acadias. I went to a shop that sells a lot of boots and made sure I had someone that knew how to fit a boot, so I think they fit well, they feel good.

I have a few questions which I should have asked the shop, but I figure you guys can give me some good experience tips...

First, they came with some white heel inserts made of a plastic material. Do you all used these?

Second, is there anything I should do to make sure they last a long time?

Third, is there anything I should do to break them in properly? They're pretty stiff now but still pretty comfortable.

Thanks everyone,

Those are orthotics. I wear them in my two Danner's religiously. After awhile, you won't even notice them. I think they help me with arch support. They will last a long time if you polish the uppers once in awhile (to keep the leather from drying out), and resoling them when needed. I have had mine resoled, and they are just as good as new, only more comfortable. To break them in, just wear the heck out of them.

I'm 3 weeks into my first pair of Acadias. I tried them with & without the "Airthotic" inserts and now use them all the time. As Danner says in the instruction leaflet, the choice is yours. Their main purpose is to centre your heel & prevent it from motion which might cause blistering.

Breaking them in? Wear them. Lots. I do.

To ensure their longevity, look after them! Use appropriate Danner products. Possibly even better (as they are water-based and penetrate more readily) are Nikwax products.

Here is a link to a boot care FAQ article.

Happy Dannering!

maximus otter

I usually use superfeet insoles. They're great. It corrects the way you walk as well as giving better support. They have ready made ones and also custom made insoles molded to your feet. Relatively inexpensive considering the comfort and support they provide.

Superfeet

Danner boots are excellent and should last a long time.
I don't use the plastic orthotics, but they fit some people better than others. They may work for you.
To break them in, the advice already given is 100% correct: wear them. But start with relatively easy use at first, or it's your feet and not the boots that will give. I found mine broke in easily and quickly, but if you have "hot spots" the break in may take a bit longer.
To make them last, dry them carefully if they get wet, use cedar trees from time to time inside and keep the outers clean as you can and "oiled" with a quality creme. Polish isn't necessarily what you'll need.

[edited for spellink]

Mink oil works well to keep the leather from drying out and makes the uppers more supple. That should help to break them in quicker too. Be prepared for it to take a while, it took me months to break in the boots I got at Basic Training. It didn't help that I had to wear them for 14 hours or more a day either.

Mink oil is very good. There are many good products to ocasionally treat your boots with. I used "neatsfoot" oil from the local farm and ranch store to treat cowboy boots for years (work boots, not roper for a dance hall in the center of a major city ;)). This stuff penetrates really well so, be prepared for brown oil soaked socks for a while if you use it :eek:

Break in? Well, I might suggest walking in a park or gentle trail for a half hour at a time once a day for a week. That helps loosen them up and isn't overly hard on your feet. Then just increase the wear time :)

I have several pairs of Danners and they are the best boots I've ever owned.
One thing that I have read repeatedly is to not use regular boot polish on them, but a silicone based polish if having them look neat and black is important to you. (My understanding is that regular polishes will damage the GoreTex liners.) Nikwax or Danners own line of shoe care products are good choices.
I personally really like the Airthotic inserts that came with my Acadias. I really notice when I don't wear them. Try them out. I doubt you'll even be aware of their presence. But your feet will appreciate them.
Danners are the most comfortable boots I've ever had the pleasure of trying and I've put thousands of kilometres on them. Their claim that they are comfortable straight out of the box is not hype. As others have said, just wear them. I still have bad memories of being young and foolish and getting a pair of Doctor Martens. Breaking those in was some sort of masochistic monastic rite.
My only gripe about Danners? I wish they came with the option of not having the GoreTex liner in them.

Do not seek to follow in the steps of the wise. Seek what they sought.
- Basho

Yep, acadias can be resoled. Our department got a deal on them for about $125.00 a pair. I tried to buy an extra pair with my $$$ but was told "nyet". They are excellent boots.

My Danner Olympics (now called Recons) didn't take long at all to break in.
I use the Air-Thotic insole, and have actually bought a pair for use in my new Marine Corps Combat Boots as well.
Danner Boot Dressing is probably the best stuff to use with Danners (duh), because it restores the waterproof capability.
Danner offers resoling, as well as other restorative services, none of which I've had the need for yet.

I've been wearing Danners. . .specifically the Acadias. . .for 18 years. The best and most comfortable boot that I've ever worn ! And seem to last forever ! I've got several pair and the oldest was purchased in 1990. That pair has been resoled twice.

They shouldn't take very long to break-in. . .the ones that I've had generally break-in in just a few days.

Excellent suggestions, here, as far as maintaining them. Keep them brushed and apply a very light coat of shoe/boot polish when needed and they will take care of you.

Thanks for the great help guys, that helps a lot!

Now, one more question. As I've been wearing these new Acadias now for a few days (with Airthotics) ;) I have a simple, possibly stupid question...

When I lace them up, it's very difficult to get them laced snugly - the laces loosen up as soon as I try to cinch them up tightly. If I had three hands, I could hold them in place at half-way up the boot while I cinch from the top, but it makes it really hard to get a good snug lacing. Is there a secret? I've never had this problem with other boots before. I'm guessing it's just because they're somewhat tight and not broken in yet, but...?

Personally speaking, I don't lace too snugly. Cinching things up tight might reduce blood flow to your feet and/or reduce the outflow of warm, humid air from the top of the boot.

If you favour tight laces, though, you're probably right to say that a few wearings will sort things out.

maximus otter

You can lace up your boot's to the 3rd or 4 th eyelet/ring and instead of criss cross go to the opposite eyelet on each side then lace up as normal. You now can adjust the lace's below then tighten the double back and lock it in. You can finsh adjusting the top portion and use a square knot with the bow's. 2 pair's of Danner's and my feet love them. i also found this but have not tried it as of yet: http://www.nicksboots.com/Break-In.htm

:( my accadia's didnt come with the inserts :(

oddly enough, they were in the boot that i first tried on....

i have found that when im just standing in the same place/position for over an hour that my heel starts to feel the pressure, so i switch to standing on the ball of my foot.

would the inserts help with that (do they soften up the heel area?)? :confused: *the ones that come with the boots*

lol... i mentioned how good danners were when someone at work asked about good shoes, and he balked at the price... if only he wore them for a week:cool:....

Originally posted by SethMurdoc
:( my accadia's didnt come with the inserts :(

oddly enough, they were in the boot that i first tried on....

i have found that when im just standing in the same place/position for over an hour that my heel starts to feel the pressure, so i switch to standing on the ball of my foot.

would the inserts help with that (do they soften up the heel area?)? :confused: *the ones that come with the boots*

Write to Danner, I bet they would send you some inserts. I left mine out when I sent mine in to be resoled. They sent the boots back with another set of inserts. As for standing for long periods of time, I know that I have stood up for 16 hour stretches, and they were very comfortable at the end of the day. Contrast that to another pair of work shoes I had to wear yesterday because I was required to wear business attire. After about 6 hours, my feet were a ball of fire.

Originally posted by kinzli
When I lace them up, it's very difficult to get them laced snugly - the laces loosen up as soon as I try to cinch them up tightly. If I had three hands, I could hold them in place at half-way up the boot while I cinch from the top, but it makes it really hard to get a good snug lacing. Is there a secret? I've never had this problem with other boots before. I'm guessing it's just because they're somewhat tight and not broken in yet, but...?
You should lace them up the old British way, called the King's Tie method. Remove the lace, then tie a small knot at one end (cut off the sealed-plastic at the end). From the toe-end of the boots, insert the other end of the lace under one eyelet. So you'll have an unseen knot under the eyelet when your boots are laced up. Then bring the lace over to the corresponding eyelet on the other side, and put it through the eyelet outside-side-first. After this, the cord will be on the inside, so send it up on the inside-side of the eyelets, and put it through the next higher eyelet. Repeat until you get to the top, neatly wrap the excess around the calf area, pull it tight and "loop" it a few times around itself so it doesn't come loose.

Hope this helps. It's a great way to tie boots, since it allows adjustment at each individual eyelet pair. It also works way better than the oft-recommended double-ended (traditional) lacing with a square knot in the back.

Hey glad you guys like your Danners!
I live in Portland OR so I can go down to the outlet and get em for about half price.
My current pair of Mtn Lights I paid 75 bucks for.

All hikeing boots with a welt can be resoled. They are stitched on at the bottom.
Sole is glued onto the welt.

You should wear them on some light hikes then clean them off and rub them down liberally with Danner boot grease or a SYNTHETIC leather conditioner.
JB boot grease is excellent.
Mink oil and neats foot are good for the leather but will rot the natural fibers in the boot limiting their lifespan.
If you are in wet or snowy conditions a lot you might try some snow seal. Its mostly bees wax with some petroleum and keeps them quite dry at the expense of a little breathability.

When us P-towners wear out the soles we take em to Oregon Mountain Community who sends them to a local guy who resoles any boot with a welt for 7 bucks a pop.
He can even put a vibram sole on a pair of Birkenstocks. Something Ive always wanted to try. However any good smith can put on a new sole.

Back