[delete]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its his knife, he can do whatever he wants with it at the end of the day, even if we all don't agree. Testing it to that extreme would likely be considered abuse by many manf. However, everyone's situation will dictate what extremes they are willing to do.

I had to do that same thing once in an emergency with my first ever CRK that wasn't even a few months old, a small regular 21 in s30v. I did not have access to an axe or other tool and needed to get a fire started ASAP. Long story short, it worked, but did bugger up the lock face and cause lock stick/galling. I contacted CRK and told them the situation I had to deal with and they had me send it in to get looked at. The lock face had to be re-heat treated. The knife is still g2g to this day but has since been retired.

You might have been very sad, had you needed to...
Not really. I would just ask for a reblade, at most. I would just pay for a new blade. No sadness at all. Maybe a bit of waiting, but no.

What surprises me most about the response so far is that people think this isn’t within the limits of a sebenza. These are tough knives meant to last a lifetime of use and abuse. It’s what this forum touts evangelically, maybe not batoning or abuse of course… but the idea that CRK are well built, tough knives.

My sebenza did this, and came out the other side practically unscathed. This is an amazing knife meant to withstand a lot. These aren’t just toys or something. They are tools and I felt like using my tool for something that might be a bit more than it could handle. Not for anything other than curiosity of if it could handle it. At the end of the day, it did it and my confidence and respect in the knife has increased. Not scientific, not smart, but it’s something I wanted to try and share with you all.

Its his knife, he can do whatever he wants with it at the end of the day, even if we all don't agree. Testing it to that extreme would likely be considered abuse by many manf. However, everyone's situation will dictate what extremes they are willing to do.

I had to do that same thing once in an emergency with my first ever CRK that wasn't even a few months old, a small regular 21 in s30v. I did not have access to an axe or other tool and needed to get a fire started ASAP. Long story short, it worked, but did bugger up the lock face and cause lock stick/galling. I contacted CRK and told them the situation I had to deal with and they had me send it in to get looked at. The lock face had to be re-heat treated. The knife is still g2g to this day but has since been retired.
I agree, I have been in situations where I had to use the wrong tool for the job, often a knife, to get out of a bad situation. This isn’t going to need to be done by 99% of sebenza owners, and I didn’t NEED to do it here, but it does give me confidence in the knife now that I know it can do it. I use my knives quite heavily everyday though, in and out of work, and I want it to do everything, and fire is one of those emergency things I want it to be capable of.

It wasn’t designed for it, but it did it, and that’s great.

I highly doubt I couldn’t wait and pay for a reblade. Maybe warranty was the wrong word, but enjoy your laugh I suppose. Won’t be needing to do anything for this sebbie except for maybe a strop now though, she’s perfect 😁

Not easy with a small blade but IMO you should have disengaged the lock when doing this
Magnacut has a very good toughness so you should not have been too worried about it being in the same league as s35vn in this area
You should have unlock your knife before batoning - it will safe your lock.
In the video I try to do this with the lock disengaged, but the blade was too short for the piece of wood. I even included subtitles mentioning this. I know that the weakest part of the knife is the lock interface, so I didn't want to damage it. I wanted to try this out more than I cared about damaging the lock however, and after seeing Dutch Bushcraft Knives test their folders on batoning with the lock engaged, I though that the CRK could handle it. Turns out, it can, but yeah I totally agree with you both that I would have rather done it with the lock disengaged, and I tried to do so.

I'm glad I own a hatchet! The only chringy part was when you had to pull it out the first time from the wood,, I could see you loosing a finger there! didn't surprise me that it didn't break... boredom can be dangerous.

It’s the WhistlinDiesel effect. If you haven’t heard of this guy, he’s literally made millions of dollars destroying things on his YouTube channel. Millions of subscribers and millions of views. Admittedly somewhat entertaining because the quality of the production of his videos is impressive.

It’s the WhistlinDiesel effect. If you haven’t heard of this guy, he’s literally made millions of dollars destroying things on his YouTube channel. Millions of subscribers and millions of views. Admittedly somewhat entertaining because the quality of the production of his videos is impressive.
Oh is that the guy that destroyed a bunch of iPhones in all his videos? I think Ive seen some of his stuff.

I'm glad I own a hatchet! The only chringy part was when you had to pull it out the first time from the wood,, I could see you loosing a finger there! didn't surprise me that it didn't break... boredom can be dangerous.
Yep, this is totally dangerous and unnecessary and I don't think anyone should do this unless they need to. It does bring me comfort today that it looks like it does on day one. I was expecting the edge to take some kind of damage but not really. I guess one piece of wood isn't really enough to dull most anything anyway.

I have been eyeing an Estwing, people seem to like them a lot. Currently, I have just been using a Mora Companion for fire making. It's not bad but I've been making enough fires lately that I think it may be worth investing in a small hatchet.

Going to lock the thread because I don't think anymore meaningful discussion is going to come from this, pretty much all has been covered and anymore is just going to be repeating the same thing. So, in the end, can a Small Sebenza 31 Magnacut Insingo baton through a piece of wood? Yes. Should it? Not if you can help it. The lock was not damaged by this in any way, and the blade was still sharp. Some people think this is dumb and something to ridicule, while some think it's entertaining and interesting. Everyone's different, but I think I've gotten more than I wanted in terms of a response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back