Designed my first blade. What do you think?

IMAG0001.jpg

I've always liked wharncliffes, so I thought I'd take my hand at designing my own. I know it's not completely unique, but I wanted to keep it simple. The overall blade length is 3". The cutting edge is 2.75". The blade is 1" at it's widest point. The handle is 3.25" long and .75" at it's widest point. I would like the blade to be 3/16 thick or maybe 1/4. Any criticism is welcome, even if you tell me it's awful. :cool:

That would be very thick steel unless there is a reason behind it? thinner the better cutting you get

Yeah, I thought about that right after I wrote it. 1/8 would be more along the lines I think.

I might try to get some 1095 bar stock and do it up. I think I can get the grinding done, but I wouldn't know what to do for a HT.

Looks good Ryan, Ill h/T it for ya

Looks good Ryan, Ill h/T it for ya
Chris, if I do go forward on this, I will definitely take you up on the offer. I want to try to do it with limited power tools. I have a bench grinder, but not a belt sander so most of the finishing will be done by hand.

I think a slightly straighter handle would work better for long term use comfort. Maybe a tad longer handle.
I think 3/16" stock would be okay, or 1/8".
Either way, it'll cut quite nicely with a full flat grind.
Should look neat.:)

I got steel you pay shipping! 1/8" or 5/32" aldo's 1095
I'll be talking to you Bill.

I think a slightly straighter handle would work better for long term use comfort. Maybe a tad longer handle.
I think 3/16" stock would be okay, or 1/8".
Either way, it'll cut quite nicely with a full flat grind.
Should look neat.:)

After I looked it over, I agree. I'm going to make the handle slightly wider and not as curved. As for length, I'm going to play that by ear. I'll shape it out with a longer handle and see how I like it.

Thanks for the feed back guys.

You could try making cardboard cut outs to get the handle the lenght and curve you want.
Then you have that worked out before you start grinding.

You could try making cardboard cut outs to get the handle the lenght and curve you want.
Then you have that worked out before you start grinding.
That's exactly what I'm going to do. I'll start doing that this weekend when I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to grind this thing.

I wrote something last night at work but it didn't post. I agree on flattening out the handle a little. A curved handle is comfortable but with a flat edge would feel awkward with that much radius. Come up with a rough drawing and when it goes to steel leave room on your lines to make changes. Rarely does a drawing turn out like a finished knife. You can grind a little feel, grind, feel, until it feels right to you. Give yourself a framework but don't be afraid to stray a little. Good luck man.

Looks good.

I'd bring the handle up so that it does not dip below the straight edge of the blade.

Throw in some curves, maybe flare the end of the handle a bit.

Originally, the blade had more of a leaf shape similar to the Spyderco Lum Chinese, so that's the reason the handle is like the way it is. It quickly turned to a wharncliffe, but kept the same handle shape. I'm going to draw up a revised version. It will have the same blade shape, but a longer and straighter handle. Any ideas on how I can start the primary grind without power tools? I'm thinking of grabbing some good files and having at it.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Files all the way Ryan! I actually had to do alot of filework on my challenge knife because my grinder broke mid grind. Try and find a file guide or two pieces of metal screwed together so you can screw it down on the knife and the grinds will be the same on both sides.

I'll look out for a file guide Chris. Files should cut pretty quick on un-heat treated steel, right?

Yep, I picked up a fileguide at USA Knifemakers but Im sure you can fins something that will work around town. The files should cut pretty quick.

Looking at the ones on USA Knifemaker, I think I can make on of them there things. I got some scrap steel and a shit ton of bolts laying around.

Back