"desired" CRK is in

My Small Carbon Fiber Insingo is in my hands.:) Yes, I do like it. It's hard not to like an Insingo.
What you notice right away(as many have said) is the lighter weight. It's a good feel, because it's every bit as solid as my Small Micarta Insingo.
A few more gems:
Blade finish is different, a little more "stone" on the stonewashed blade. :thumbup:
The hollow grind is wider and it shows at the little "X" where it meets the Swedge. :thumbup:
The jimping is shallower but good. :thumbup:
The edge grind is far better than my last one, it's a convex edge and it cuts.

That Jimping

The little "X"

One little ding right out of the box. CF chips easly! No I will not send it back.

Oh, the washer on the CF side rotates with the blade, is that normal?
Will that wear the CF prematurely?

I have a Small Sebenza 21 that I just got recently. I also have a CFZT770. I like em both but after some thinking on this I'm gonna be looking for a regular sized 21 with Insingo blade and CF scale. That may be the perfect user knife for me. I'm just hoping the full sized isn't to big.

Last edited:
That is odd the washer spins, I thought they normally stayed put, at least my small cf insingo does. I would take it apart and check it out.

The washer on my large 21 CF stays put (just had to check). I have also put the CF scale through hell and back... Dropped on concrete, gravel, dirt, mud, and the inside of a containment tank on a Cat combine... and haven't chipped it yet. Can CF scales have a defective spot, especially on the edge like that?

I like that knife... I wasn't aware that CF chipped easily, but I guess it could have had a "void" in it.
I would think that in order for it to chip out like that, it would have to be dropped or hit fairly hard, and it doesn't look like there are any marks on the Ti slab.
Anything is possible though...

One more Gem:

The DETENT hole in the blade is slightly larger on the CF than my "older" Insingo.
* Not a bad thing, I like stronger detent.

The turning washer thing bugs me though.

CF does chip easily, especially on sharp edges and when it's being ground or cut but of at least a dozen CF knives I've had i can only remember one that I had chipped the cf on. It's tough stuff, I've already dropped my cf insingo on the concrete twice and didn't notice any damage, maybe because it's so freakin light.

Carbon fiber is immensely strong (extensively used is F-1 cars), but when it does break, can be very sharp (F-1 car flat tires). Test your chip carefully for potential sharpness.

MP

Called CRK yesterday. She said some washers rotate, some don't with the carbon fiber, but it won't hurt if the washer rotates.

Still, I may attempt to "stop" the washer. Thinking of a brass stud imbedded into the carbon fiber. I think the 25 has something like this?

Called CRK yesterday. She said some washers rotate, some don't with the carbon fiber, but it won't hurt if the washer rotates.

Still, I may attempt to "stop" the washer. Thinking of a brass stud imbedded into the carbon fiber. I think the 25 has something like this?

Mine rotated on the CF side. Kinda bugged me too but I wouldn't go out of your way to stop it. You'll soon forget.

Beautiful knife!

I'm surprised that it chipped like that, I've never seen CF do that. I've heard of it, just never seen it till now.

Unless the light caught your blade just right in the pic that stone wash is different than any I've seen CRK do yet. I like it.

Congrats on getting a really nice CRK and I'm sure that it's easier to say than to live with, but, I wouldn't worry much about the washer spinning.

CRKs' new stonewashed finish is different that the satin finish they used for the last several years. It appears they do not go as fine with the media as they used to.

As far as the washer goes, if you take it apart and put more of the white grease on it, it might stop rotating. But it certainly won't hurt anything just like it is.

Nice knife, good choice.

you had me go check both my Small and Large carbon Insingo.

The washer on my small rotates but the one on my large doesn't.

Never really noticed this until now.

The 25 has a tab that's built onto the washer. It's bent into a hole, so it doesn't move.
I wonder if you hone the blade side of the washer and install the CF side dry, if that will correct the issue.

This is from past experience using CF extensively in competitive RC racing. CF is used a lot for the mounting of servos and electronics. There are strong, light and does not interfere with electronics which is why is the preferred materials apart from aluminium alloy. Anyway what we do in those days is that all edges of the CF must be protected before using. This will minimise any chipping, etc from actual usage. CF will flex, from temperature difference and your folder will definitely take a fall now and again.

To protect the edges, we use CA glue. A layer of this stuff will ensure chipping free for along time. The stuff that is used to mount rubber RC tyres is good as it is runny and comes with a needle spout for detail work. If I were to get such a CRK, this I would do first.

Back