1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Did I spend too much on this motor? (3 Ph Discussion and Shenanigans)

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Don Nguyen, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Don Nguyen

Don Nguyen

Oct 4, 2011
    New Questions (3/22/2012)

Ok, just in this single purchase of the motor, I have learned more in one day than I did in one year.

That brings me to some new questions:

-If I want to run a Single Phase AC motor, I don't need anything more to run it, right? Just plug it in a go (assuming "normal" conditions).
    -If I want to run a Three Phase AC motor, I need three phase power, either by a converter or VFD.
    -If I want to run a Permanent Magnet DC motor, then I need DC power, either by a DC controller or voltage converter, right?

-----

Original Post

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

$100

I mean, I probably can't just plug it in my garage and start using it, can I?

It's kind of big and heavy.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  2. knife to a gunfight

knife to a gunfight KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2007
    You know it is a 3 phase right?

3. thegeek574

thegeek574

Sep 3, 2010
    7.5 horsepower? that is a really powerful motor. I would hold onto it until you can get a VFD, and then use it. that won't bog for anything.

4. jawilder

jawilder

Jun 27, 2006
    You would need more than a VFD. You would also need a phase converter and more than 110v in your shop. It would be good on a press but way overkill on a grinder.
    Jason

5. Remyrw

Remyrw

Jun 17, 2010
    holy hell, that's a monster for knife making.

6. Big Chris

Big Chris SAHD/Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 1, 2010
    That is a good deal for a three phase motor that size. You will need a phase converter to run in your shop. You could build a very good hydraulic press with it.

7. A C Richards

A C Richards KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 14, 2006
    Too big for a belt but perfect for a press. You paid way to much though, I'll take it off your hands for $150 :D

8. butcher_block

butcher_block KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 6, 2004
    that woudl power a 36" wheel grinder nicly tho

9. A C Richards

A C Richards KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 14, 2006
    Don't tell Sam :D

10. Sam Salvati

Sam Salvati

Aug 6, 2007
    I'd run a 2x72 on that motor! Why not? Would be awesome on a pwoerhammer too. I would use that specific motor FOR a phas converter, then score another 3 phase in the 3 horsepower range.

11. Don Nguyen

Don Nguyen

Oct 4, 2011
    The guy was selling two other 3ph 5hp motors for about the same price. Maybe I should get back to him?!

I dunno, I was thinking maybe I could sell this for a bit more than I bought it and use the money to contribute to my upcoming grinder.

EDIT: As much as the money is tempting me, I think I will keep it for future use, or if I can find another really cheap 3ph motor I will use this 7.5hp as a converter (as Sam recommended).

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  12. A C Richards

Apr 14, 2006
    Sam, I was reminded of your 36" grinder attempt. :eek:

13. Brian Ayres

Brian Ayres

Feb 4, 2011
    Like this? Hmmmm... http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/ph-conv/ph-conv.html

And come on Sam, not going to bite on the 36" wheel idea! Lol

14. tryppyr

tryppyr KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 5, 2010
    I noticed it's not a TEFC, so not really suitable for a grinder. It says OFGB if I read it correctly.

15. Don Hanson III

Don Hanson III KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 3, 2002
    If a VFD could be had reasonably, I'd be hookin it up to one of my grinders. :D

16. A C Richards

Apr 14, 2006
    Yup not a fan cooled motor. Need to watch the op time. You can get a good 10hp phase converter for $735 delivered. I have one and since it comes with the cap starter pack well worth the investment. Mine easily runs all my motors. They suggest you run 1/2 the hp of the converter. However if it is a no load start a 7.5 would run just fine. The company is great also, they have a killer warranty and stand by their product. If I had to do it over again I would have purchased this unit many years earlier. If anyone would like the info please PM or email me and I will send the co information. I have no affiliation with this co, just a very satisfied customer.

17. woodwrkr221

woodwrkr221

Jan 28, 2011
    You could power five KMG's running simultaneously off of a common line-shaft powered by that motor! Just think how convenient that would be!

18. watercrawl

watercrawl

Jun 2, 2006
    Pardon my stupidity, but why would one need a phase converter and a VFD for this motor?

19. Don Nguyen

Don Nguyen

Oct 4, 2011
    It is a 3 phase motor, which requires 3 phase power, and isn't available at homes and whatnot. So one option would be to get a phase converter that provides 3 phase power from single phase. I'm not sure about the VFD, looking forward to answers on that.

I don't think I'll be using it any time soon. I'll probably keep it for later use as a converter, or maybe hook it up (via belt) to a grinder from an enclosed area :)

20. watercrawl

watercrawl

Jun 2, 2006
    But a VFD works as both a phase converter and a speed control for 3 phase motors....hence my question.

Due to the size of the motor?