DMT Diafold

Just ordered a course/fine DMT Diafold off of Amazon list night. I was wanting to know if anyone has used them, and what their experience has been like. Seen some threads with a little bit of talk about them, but not any indepth reviews of the products. I know they aren't an Edge Pro or Wicked Edge sharpening system, but I'm not really inclined to spend that much right now. As I step up my collection, I figured getting a couple of bench stones or something like the Diafolds will suffice. So if anyone has personal experience, let me know how they worked.

Thanks

I keep one in my hiking bag, mainly because my old bushcraft instructor first taught me how to sharpen a scandi edge using his fine Diafold. It'd be less precise or comfortable than a full-sized bench stone if you do a lot of sharpening, but it's nice to have diamonds in a pinch and the Diafold is handy. I also have some of the Diasharp cards scattered around which are even more portable.

Dia-Folds work great. I have them in C/F and EF/EEF, and use them with my Aligner clamp & Magna-Guide. Great edges on blades, and the hones hold up well too, when used properly (with light pressure). They clean up easily, with some dish soap & hot water, and they're pocketable too. If I were to 'wish' any improvements for them, I'd like to see them in continuous surface diamond, as opposed to the interrupted surface (dots). But, having said that, these are still great hones.

Last edited:
I keep one in my backpack for quick touch ups @ work. It works great. It folds up into a small package and DMT diamond hones are proven performers.

I have a coarse/? mainly for rough sharpening and reprofiling. I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker for normal sharpening so I made a stand for the DMT stone that works similar to the Sharpmaker, but just a few degrees less angle. I think the Sharpmaker does 20 degrees per side so my little stand is about 18 degrees. It will reprofile an edge to 18 degrees per side then when I use the Sharpmaker it will create a microbevel of 20 degrees per side.

DSC_6640b.jpg

I recently bought an old CRKT M16 on ebay and it came with a pretty dull edge including some small chips. I was just fooling around with it and I found that I could get a good edge on it quickly by freehanding with the DMT stone, then I switched to the Sharpmaker.

diafolds are great ,,have one for some time now , and always sharpens my blades to where i want them too ,

I own a Diafold C/F and a Mini-Sharp (Fine Keychain type).

They work well for me as I can sharpen my blades by holding the knife in one hand and move the Diafold in a smooth stroke freehanded in another hand.

The Diafold works fine without oil or water for sharpening, at least for me.

One thing to note about freehand sharpening with the Diafold is that a convex edge might be formed no matter how consistent the freehanded strokes.

Also, diamond sharpeners take time to break in, please refrain from exerting too much pressure on the diamond sharpener to prevent dislodging the diamond coating on the sharpener. Just increase the number of strokes instead of more pressure on the sharpener.

Just my relatively worthless 2 cents' worth.

Back