1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

DMT EEF after break-in

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Jason B., Dec 2, 2009.

1. Jason B.

Jason B. KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 13, 2007
    The DMT EEF has been a stone that does not seem to get the credit it deserves, I know their are some of you that have decided to invest in this stone but from experience know that first impressions can be depressing. I have been using mine for about a year now and while it sill has some breaking-in to do its broke-in enough to show the rest of you what a little time and patients will bring you.

Diamonds can polish you just need to give them time ;)
    Spyderco military S30V.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A shot with outdoor lighting up close
    [​IMG]

It's sharp too :)
    [​IMG]

2. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    Eeeek! Nice edge...

3. gunmike1

gunmike1 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 9, 2005
    If they sold it pre-broken in it would be on my to get list. It sucks it takes lapping it on another DMT plate or on a ceramic knife to get it to work right. Once broken in though it would make not only a great sharpened for my S90V Manix 2 (and any other knife) but also it would be a great final flattening stone for my 16000 grit Shapton Glasstone.

Mike

4. Jason B.

Jason B. KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 13, 2007
    It works wonders on S90V, I wouldn't try and use it to lap though theirs just not enough bite to the stone to be effective in that way.

5. gunmike1

gunmike1 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 9, 2005
    I may add this to my Santa list, and I have heard of 1 person having good success lapping finer stones with it. I would lap my 16K with the DMT Coarse first, then DMT Fine (my current routine), then try adding in the EEF. If it works, great, if not I'd still have a great 3 micron stone for S90V and other Super Steels.

Mike

6. ChapmanPreferred

ChapmanPreferred

Oct 7, 2006
    Looks really nice!