Dog's Head Utility-The First Thirty Days

Don't you just have the most entertaining review of a knife ever. First time since I joined BF, I clicked on the KaBar subF and found....this. I think I will stay a while.
I must:thumbup: your combination of brevity and humour. No data listed out that can be found on the catalog or online and yet more useful information than most reviews.

Day 4,
The Triple P,

Today the KA-BAR and I set out to construct the dreaded Triple P
The Prefabricated Prisoner Poker. Or as it is more commonly known. The Fish Spear,

I headed off into the woods with all the tools I would use for today's project. The Dog's Head and my walking stick. I hate these heavy loads.

First up, pole selection. This one looked fairly straight,

After chopping it down, I dragged it over to a nearby workbench.

Chop off the top.

Next up clean up the bottom chopped end. I should note here. I had a catastrophic failure at this stage. The stick I was using as my baton broke. Oh My! I grabbed another stick and moved on.

Tap the knife into the end twice to form a cross and split it into four prongs.

It should look something like this. For right now, just go down 8"-10"

Y'all carry twine in your packs right?

Measure down approximately 16"-18" inches. I just go from the back of my elbow to my finger tips. And wrap roughly 2"-3" inches of twine snugly around the pole. This will keep the splits from continuing to split past this point. Then take the knife and finish splitting the prongs down to the wrapping.

Hint #1,
It is easier to turn the pole to wind the twine on, rather than try and wrap the twine around the pole. I find for most of my uses. A length of twine wrapped from thumb to elbow six times works well. Any longer and it gets tough to keep untangled.

Next, grab one of those branches from top part and make yourself two little pegs. They should be just a little wider than the pole.

Work one peg down into each split. Get them as close as you can to the wrapping. You don't have to get them all the way. So don't lose your mind.

Hint #2,
Take the walking stick and roll it down into the splits. It will make working the pegs down much easier. Alternate back and forth a little bit at a time.

Here is what they look like with both in place,

Now that all the risky stuff is done. It's time to sharpen the points.

Hint #3,
If you can find a downed log or tree. Take your hiking stick or any stick, and drive it in the ground right behind the downed tree. Then take the spear and slide it up snug to the stick. This creates a primitive shaving bench. Now you can take your Dog's Head with both hands and use it like a drawshave. This speeds up the point carving process quite a bit.

No need to get too crazy with the points, Personally, I like Caveman Tanto myself.

Almost done, some folks just wrap up to the pegs and tie them off to hold them down. I like to wrap down to them from above. This gives me the ability to adjust the spacing of the spears. I just start on one of the spears with a Clove Hitch. Leaving a tail that drops past the pegs.

Then I just wind my way down to the pegs. Setting the spacing at the start. Wrapping the lose end in as I go.

When I reach the pegs, I tie off to the top one, boat cleat style. And then tie the lose end from the clove hitch to this end, done!

Finished product,

One last shot with the Dog's Head in it for well deserved photo credit,

This knife just plain rocks!

Some additional thoughts,
One reason I like to use twine in this application and many others is that it acts the exact opposite of para-cord. It shrinks and swells when it gets wet. Instead of stretching and getting skinnier. It is also way cheaper and biodegradable. Not to mention the Fonzi factor. It just looks cooler.

About the knife. Everything done to this point has been with the original factory edge from KA-BAR. I have not touched it yet. Things will only get better.

That was Today's KA-BAR moment. Jeez, I sound like Marlin Perkins.
The original television survival guy. Who names their kid after a lever gun and a British boat engine?

The best thing about this review for me is that along with the humour, you also give some really good how-to's and little tips. Thanks :)

Day 4,
The Triple P,

Today the KA-BAR and I set out to construct the dreaded Triple P
The Prefabricated Prisoner Poker. Or as it is more commonly known. The Fish Spear,

Hint #2,
Take the walking stick and roll it down into the splits. It will make working the pegs down much easier. Alternate back and forth a little bit at a time.

Here is what they look like with both in place,

Now that all the risky stuff is done. It's time to sharpen the points.

Great work again :).

Where I grew up, those were called "frog gigging poles". Of course, I've never actually been frog gigging, but this is what they looked like. I imagine it would work great at keeping a prisoner at bay though, as no one really wants to get quadruple stabbed in the chest by giant spear regardless of if it was designed for fish, or frogs.

I usually have sharpened mine to a point (or close to it) before I split them though. I find the spindly sections wobble more, and are more frustrating to carve than when its all just one stick. That could just be me though.

Do you reuse the twine after you use it? And how cheap are we talking? Is this jute twice, aka, stuff that can be used as fire starting material? I may have to consider carrying some with me.

Can't wait for the rest of the month :).

Day 5,

Hey KA-BAR folks,

Been a long day, it started out like most others.
At 04:30 I was making home made laundry soap.

I started a lunch gig, then SHTF, OKB, this will have to suffice for a few days. I promise I will make a lunch that is KA-BAR worthy.

Much to my wife's dismay. I have been using my new knife for all cutting related tasks. From fish spears to slicing dinner rolls. It has displayed surprising versatility. English Muffins, turkey, tomatoes, onions, and peppers, you name it. It has sliced them all with style and ease.

My apologies for the lack of content here.
The truth is, I am old, tired, cranky, and muddy.

But the good news is, one down one to go.
Long day.

Tomorrow, I plan on a beer or maybe six. I might get to use the spear. But doubt it. I think Sunday will be a rest day.

But worry not. I will pick this up on Monday. Next week might look a little different. After this week. I may look to take the KA-BAR from the physical to the metaphysical. Not necessarily John Donne, but headed in that direction.

Lessons learned but never taught.

I think Jim Morrison said it best. "Break on through to the other side"

LV,

Last edited:
Great work again :).

Do you reuse the twine after you use it? And how cheap are we talking? Is this jute twice, aka, stuff that can be used as fire starting material? I may have to consider carrying some with me.

Can't wait for the rest of the month :).

Yep, just hardware store jute twine. Great for starting fires too!
The lashing on the spear is set up to be reused if I want to.

$1.59 buys me 200 feet, in a local hardware store known for high prices. Cheap enough by itself. But when you factor in what you can do with the stuff the value becomes even more apparent.

Pull apart the strands, then fluff them up and 90% of the time you have a one spark fire. Saving wear and tear on that expensive fire steel.

The stuff weighs next to nothing, and takes up little space. It can be braided to greatly increase its strength.

Don't get me wrong, I still like and use Para in certain applications. But twine does a lot. Plus I don't feel any pain when I cut it into smaller pieces. Like I do with a 100' hank of Pare.

Yep, just hardware store jute twine. Great for starting fires too!
The lashing on the spear is set up to be reused if I want to.

$1.59 buys me 200 feet, in a local hardware store known for high prices. Cheap enough by itself. But when you factor in what you can do with the stuff the value becomes even more apparent.

Pull apart the strands, then fluff them up and 90% of the time you have a one spark fire. Saving wear and tear on that expensive fire steel.

The stuff weighs next to nothing, and takes up little space. It can be braided to greatly increase its strength.

Don't get me wrong, I still like and use Para in certain applications. But twine does a lot. Plus I don't feel any pain when I cut it into smaller pieces. Like I do with a 100' hank of Pare.

Thanks for the info. I had no idea jute twine was that cheap. That's almost incredible (I mean, its less than a penny a foot, that's impressive).

And I've used it for firestarting before (when I was learning how to do friction fires), and it really is quite the tinder. Maybe I'll pick some up sometime soon, as it seems its "almost" free.

In not quite unrelated news, I've been thinking of picking up some bank line, so maybe I'll grab both and see which I prefer for small things like this.

Anyway, thanks for the tip :).

Day 6,

Not much to report today,

Take care of your tools, and they will take care of you. The sheath gets a coat of Obenauf's

One day next week, the handle will get it after I get a wire brush to rough it up a bit.

Carry on,

Last edited:
Day 7,

Rest day,

Prisoner drama is over. Second one shot and taken into custody today.

Yes, it is. So glad no one else (other than the escapee) was hurt.

Looking forward to the continuing review here. :thumbup:

~Chris

This has been a great thread so far with a lot of great info. I'll be looking forward to the continuation of this. Thanks for sharing!

Day 8,
Tarp Pegs,

Day 8 finds us rested and refreshed. A lot of bad stuff behind us. And lots of good stuff in front of us.

As I pondered what to do next in this little review. I was standing in a light to medium drizzle. It had me thinking about some sort of shelter. In case you haven't figured this out yet. I am winging this whole review thing. Just trying to do stuff I need a knife to do.

Disclaimer #4, (I think)
OK this is a disclaimer, and also a bit of a rant.

This knife, the KA-BAR Dog's Head Bowie is not a "Survival Knife" The "Survival Experts" will tell you that. Refer back to post #1 for my credentials (hint, I have none). They will tell you this knife can not be depended on. Because it does not have a full, exposed, tang. Nor does it have micarta scales, hollow handles, serrations, or jimping. Or any of the other myriad of hyped up crap a survival knife is supposed to have these days.

KA-BAR itself, doesn't even call it a "Survival Knife" they call it a Utility Knife. Even the storied U.S.M.C. Knife is called a Fighting/Utility Knife. The F/U Knife for short. Am I the only one who sees the irony in the F/U Knife??

Well, I just had to get that out there. This is a utility knife, not a "Survival Knife". If you try and take this blade into the wilderness and use it to survive. You will most likely die. What kind of a fool would take a knife with out micarta handles into the wilderness anyway??

One last time. "The KA-BAR is not a Survival Knife"
I think that is carved into a mangrove tree in Rung Sat somewhere.

Best heed the warning and potentially save your life!

OK, with that out of the way. On to today's project.
Nothing too tough here today. But a wilderness necessity never the less.
I took the top from the tri-pod pole. And set out to make some tent/tarp pegs.

Tarp pegs are kind of boring. No one pays much attention to them. That is, until that T-Storm rolls through at 02:00. If your tarp or tent is poorly anchored, suddenly they become extremely important.

Here are four cut to length. These are exactly one KA-BAR length. (KBL for future reference). I just lightly batoned through the top to acquire four pegs of the same length.

Next up the rope notch. I always cut the rope notch first. This is the only real spot prone to failure. So why do all the rest first. Just to have the notch blow out and ruin you peg. Leave a little room on top for some support. I used one blade width.

Just baton in about a third of the diameter of the peg, then shave down to the bottom of the cut. ***Never baton with a KA-BAR, it will explode***

OK, with the risky stuff out of the way. Let's carve some points. Not too sharp or they will just fold or dull. Think big crayon, or carpenter's pencil. I like to use a reverse grip for this. Hold your knife in your strong hand with the blade facing your elbow, tip up. Then trim/pull the peg across your chest with your other hand.

Peeling the bark. This step is optional. But I usually do it, as I try and reuse my pegs. Peeling the bark off, keeps them from rotting prematurely. I just ran the tip of the Dog's Head down the length of the peg and peeled from there. I peel them last, because they are quite slippery at this stage. Better to leave the bark on for grip until everything else is done.

This green stuff, the inner bark or cambium layer, is Secret Squirrel Stuff, save it.

Here is the finished product. Tent/Tarp Pegs. Boring, but necessary. Once they dry out a tad, I will most likely fire harden the tips. It makes a world of difference.

***Personally, I think the reason KA-BAR doesn't hype this knife, is they really have nothing left to prove.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Dude, I know you're downplaying this but I've never made these pegs, I can now. As long as its not tomorrow... Short term memory loss is a bitch. Great info here and very entertaining! Thanks again!

Dude, I know you're downplaying this but I've never made these pegs, I can now. As long as its not tomorrow... Short term memory loss is a bitch. Great info here and very entertaining! Thanks again!

The only problems I've ever had with a tent stake like those, is that sometimes they can split on you after pounding them a bit. To help with that, you can "chamfer" the edges on the top (just make it a rounded bevel, instead of a 90 degree between cut and the wood), and it makes the tops not mushroom when hammering them, and then also resists splitting.

But agreed. I love seeing all this fun stuff. Keep up the good work :).

Back