elmax steel (how does it compare to others?)

Well we should be hearing back on some real use reviews now that the ZT 0551 is out.

Well there is also the Kershaw Speedform, Speedform II, and the ZT 0350CB that also incorporate ELMAX, and are also on the market.

Guess one could say we liked ELMAX enough to debut it to market, and use it on multiple knives in both our brands.

Look for more in the future.

Well, I personally feel it was a great choice.

You get a lot of what is asked for in a steel with ELMAX.

Thomas, What Rc were you guys aiming for with the 350CB and 551?

Well, I personally feel it was a great choice.

You get a lot of what is asked for in a steel with ELMAX.

Thomas, What Rc were you guys aiming for with the 350CB and 551?

I have a 0551 here that I will be cutting with and sending out to get RC tested.

I was just browsing the new 2010 knives from Kershaw. They have a liner lock version of the Speedform for about half the price of the frame lock. It uses Elmax steel. Anyone have any info about this steel? How does it compare to 154cm, s30v, etc.? The framelock Speedform uses Elmax edge fused with d2 behind it as a spine.

I have a ZT 350 with ELMAX.
Scary sharp edges? Yep, and they last a while for stainless. Far easier for me to sharpen than S30V.
Strong? I haven't done any controlled, scientific experiments, but I'm more comfortable doing hard, twisting cuts with it than S30V.
If I could only have ELMAX bladed knives for the rest of my life I wouldn't have any complaints.
Very high quality, user friendly and stout steel, IMHO.
It did excellent at almost all tasks on the job as a woodworker - it covered more bases than most knives/steels that I'm aware of.
ELMAX?
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

@ Sal,

What hardness did spyderco test it at? Do you sub zero the steels after the quench when you make the mules?

There are. Most companies are just reluctant to release the information.

What many love about this steel is how although it is a stainless steel, and has the better qualities of stainless steel, it also has qualities of a carbon steel alloy. Carbon steel, unlike stainless steel, is easier to sharpen and achieve a good edge. ELMAX is a generally new steel, and was not stocked in the United States until late in 2009. Since then, it has become very popular, and is now available in single sheets as well as cut bars from distributors. Now it can be found in myriads of knives that are produced by various companies. ELMAX steel is a "high chromium-vanadium-molybdenum-alloyed steel," made of 1.7 percent carbon, 18 percent chromium, .3 percent manganese, 1 percent molybdenum, .8 percent silicon, and 3 percent vanadium. This composition allows for the metal to have a high wear resistance, high compressive strength, superior corrosion resistance, and a very good dimensional stability, or the ability to retain its size and form even after taking abuse. When hardened to 57-59 HRC, though the steel can actually be ground up to 62 HRC, the knife has a good edge holding ability as well as a less-commonly found impact resistance- which is much higher than other stainless steels- and grinds as easily as the 154 CM steel, which is renowned for its easy grinding ability. Therefore, ELMAX steel can take more abuse than other metals, and come out unscathed. ELMAX knives can be used for multitudes of purposes, and can be found in knives in a wide range of categories. This steel is ideal for survival/Bushcraft knives, with qualities that are crucial for outdoor and survival activities. When you are outdoors, camping or hiking, you need a knife that can last and perform to the highest standards of durability, toughness, high wear, and corrosion resistance. Knives used for such outdoor purposes can often be found in less-than-ideal situations such as heavy rain, situations in which it would be risky to use most knives for fear of wear or corrosion. With ELMAX, however, avid outdoorsmen can enjoy the stress-free convenience of a high-abuse taking, quality blade. In addition to survival, these metals are ideal for use in blades meant for hunting, fishing, and even kitchen work, where sharpness and robustness are critical features. The United Sttes Navy SEALS are utilizing the "First Edge 5150" ELMAX Full Tang Survival Knife. Having been a supply man for SEAL Team unit, anything The USN SEALS us is worth having.

Hi Kwackster,

We tested it some time ago. We tested a number of their steels. All in all, good quality product. We have no plans fort Elmax at this time. It might make a good Mule Team project?

There are so many steels to "play" with. ;)

We mostly use Crucible for our USA made and Tawain made models. We work with several Japanese foundries, but usually with our makers in Seki.

We've not done very much with European foundries to date, but I imagine in time we might.

sal

i posted a few weeks ago regarding a superblue military. it needs to happen, along with elmax and another 52100 and m4 batch. those 4 steels can take everything i throw at them (i use knives a lot) and they sharpen up real easy on the go. i humbly ask you to do what nobody else can or will. your military is perfect. please and thank you.

Back