Farid Crucible CPM-REX 121 mule project

Found you. Bastard

I linked it on AM, how hard was that to find? And now I remember where I recognize your avatar from. Anyway stop cluttering up this poor man's thread with our petty bickering. Buy one or shut up. They don't put up with crap over here like on AM.

Hey Farid, if you could shoot me an email regarding pricing/availability I'd really appreciate.

Last edited:
I got my mule today, if anyone is on the fence or wondering if they are worth the money, let me assure you they are.

My blade arrived scary sharp, extremely well packaged and lightning fast. The blade feels solid in your hand and is a work of art IMO.

I can't wait to get some scales on it and start using it as my EDC.

I could not be happier nor recommend Farid any higher. He is a class act!

Farid, can you send me pricing info please.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I got my mule today, if anyone is on the fence or wondering if they are worth the money, let me assure you they are.

My blade arrived scary sharp, extremely well packaged and lightning fast. The blade feels solid in your hand and is a work of art IMO.

I can't wait to get some scales on it and start using it as my EDC.

I could not be happier nor recommend Farid any higher. He is a class act!

Thank you very much, I always do the best I can to make sure all my collectors are happy.
thanks

Farid,

Fantastic work my friend! Really impressed of the thinness behind the edge considering the steel (.022)

DSC_0511.jpg

Got mine yesterday. Very well packed and shipped quickly from the UK. Put to work the fist day with toilet and vanity boxes and didn't need sharpening after work. Putting scales on it this weekend and will be used heavily next week putting in windows. Nice work and very sharp. What angle is needed when it needs touched up? Thanks Martin

Got mine yesterday. Very well packed and shipped quickly from the UK. Put to work the fist day with toilet and vanity boxes and didn't need sharpening after work. Putting scales on it this weekend and will be used heavily next week putting in windows. Nice work and very sharp. What angle is needed when it needs touched up? Thanks Martin

Thank you,
To touch it up use DMT course, then finer and finer, finish the edge with a super fine stone, I have actually profiled my own REX 121 edge to a very thin edge and finished it to 10k and then to 20k.
I still have a few left if anyone wants one.

I feel like I should order a bunch more....... :p In all seriousness Farid if you have a hard time getting rid of the last few I'll take them, but give it a while. I kinda think this should be "open source" a bit and don't want to hog multiple so I'm not taking them now. Give people a chance to see the first round of positive feedback and then pick them up. :)

BTW fast shipping and good packaging Farid I'm very pleased. :) Camping equipment though? :p

Looks to me like the primary grind is just under 15 degrees and the edge bevel is mildly convex ending in about a 20 degree (per side) apex. Overall its not quite the laser you'd expect because its on the thick side but it just doesn't seem to dull. I'm thoroughly pleased. I did notice it didn't come super sharp. I mean it wasn't dull, that would be absurd, but it wasn't that stupid sharp I normally see in knives. No worries it was an opportunity to see how it sharpens. :) The answer is slowly, but not as slowly as I would have expected. I actually rather enjoyed it. Its quite smooth and creamy, not grabby like a soft steel. You do really want diamonds though. I tried lapping it down to .3 microns but it just didn't get it that sharp (barely hair whittling) and the polish just wouldn't come out. I switched to diamond compound on strops and managed to, without much trouble, raise something thats passable as a mirror edge. Its not air-bleeding sharp but it'll whittle hair and perform all the other silly super sharp cut tests we do no problem now. It still just looks kinda "hazy" its not that ZDP-189 mirror thats for sure.
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/422235_3026522416125_1002540152_n.jpg

Shot a quick video for those that would care:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MetshxapaP8

Overall I just want to say a huge thanks Farid for giving this to us. One of your customs, no offense, is beyond what most of us would spend on a knife we'd really use. This mule was a great project and great fun. Would you consider doing something similar again, or allowing people to order something similar at a similar price?

I feel like I should order a bunch more....... :p In all seriousness Farid if you have a hard time getting rid of the last few I'll take them, but give it a while. I kinda think this should be "open source" a bit and don't want to hog multiple so I'm not taking them now. Give people a chance to see the first round of positive feedback and then pick them up. :)

BTW fast shipping and good packaging Farid I'm very pleased. :) Camping equipment though? :p

Looks to me like the primary grind is just under 15 degrees and the edge bevel is mildly convex ending in about a 20 degree (per side) apex. Overall its not quite the laser you'd expect because its on the thick side but it just doesn't seem to dull. I'm thoroughly pleased. I did notice it didn't come super sharp. I mean it wasn't dull, that would be absurd, but it wasn't that stupid sharp I normally see in knives. No worries it was an opportunity to see how it sharpens. :) The answer is slowly, but not as slowly as I would have expected. I actually rather enjoyed it. Its quite smooth and creamy, not grabby like a soft steel. You do really want diamonds though. I tried lapping it down to .3 microns but it just didn't get it that sharp (barely hair whittling) and the polish just wouldn't come out. I switched to diamond compound on strops and managed to, without much trouble, raise something thats passable as a mirror edge. Its not air-bleeding sharp but it'll whittle hair and perform all the other silly super sharp cut tests we do no problem now. It still just looks kinda "hazy" its not that ZDP-189 mirror thats for sure.
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/422235_3026522416125_1002540152_n.jpg

Shot a quick video for those that would care:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MetshxapaP8

Overall I just want to say a huge thanks Farid for giving this to us. One of your customs, no offense, is beyond what most of us would spend on a knife we'd really use. This mule was a great project and great fun. Would you consider doing something similar again, or allowing people to order something similar at a similar price?

Thank you for your appreciation,
I would like to offer the next mule in D6 and D3 tool steel, they will be sold as pairs only, they are both very high performance steels.
Just so you know the composition of D3 and D6,
D3 carbon 2.1%-2.3, cr 12%,
D6 Carbon 2.2-2.3%, cr 12%, 1% (W) tungsten

take care

Back