FILE WORK patterns THAT LOOKS LIKE A VINE

Could someone help me out as to what types of files I need to do the crawling vine on the spine of a knife Ive been doing some rather plain file work like v pattern and dots and half round spots . The vine I know is Im sure harder than it looks but Ide like to try some differnt patterns. Anyone with any they would like to share please post them here thanks kellyw

I use a chainsaw file and a marking file. Grind the flat side of the Marking file so the edge is sharp instead of rounded. I have used a three square with one side ground flat to sharpen the edges. Hope that helps.

Craig

thanks so much I went to the site and started right away im over half done one with only one small mistake but I think the next file cuts will get rid of my minor misshap. thanks kellyw

I am having big trouble, I made the alternating round file marks . Then made them bigger, they were not as rounded off as in the picture i was looking at but I stratrd to file with the triangular file for the thorn . IT ISNT WORKING OUT . All that seems to be happening is im filing off the area and not leaving a thorn . The directions at this point are very plain and need to be more specific on angles and type of file and im making a mess out this really nice knife. the steel is cpm154 if that makes a difference cuzz its a little harder to work. help needed again . kellyw

Thanks Jason I have done a poor job on this one but looks like barb wire . The next one will be better Ill try this method and see if its better I think my file could be part of the problem too. I am using the jewllers files in the set of like 5. Ill change to the 1/8 chain saw and a different triangle file. kellyw

I use 6" round and 6" half round files to do my vine patterns. These are the only two files needed, although it is nice to have them in several "grits"

Always hold the files at a compound 45 degree angle to the blade, no matter what part of the vine pattern you are filing. I make the rounds and then cut the thorns with the half-round file. I use the flat edge for the thorn, the half round edge for the vine.

Here is a great reference on files from Nicholson: Guide to Filing.

I'm filing some vine patterns on six blades right now. If you need some assistance, PM me.

Edit: I like to make initial spacings 3/8" apart.

Mike L.

I went to you tube and now have the idea there are a couple people that have done video s thanks everyone im going to go try a blade . kellyw

WELL I went at it on a piece of scrap with big files and touched up and rounded off some stuff with needle files and its pretty good . thanks everyone the video on you tube really helped.
PICT0001-4.jpg
PICT0002-3.jpg

Are any of you guys good enough to carve a row of skulls? If so, please post some pics and a how to. I think that would look sweet on the back of a blade.

-MoF

I will give it a try and let you know. lmao After watching D Duchane I think anything could be done.

Back