First Hawk

Terry M.

Platinum Member
My first venture into this particular forum. I decided a while back to get a Hawk for my truck and did LITTLE research. I actually read about the Tops Hammer Hawk in a magazine and bought one that very day. It’s been ok. Haven’t really had to use it yet and I’m thankful for that as that means no emergencies yet. I keep it in the bed of my truck so it does get beat up and rusted some. Anyway……
Here it is

IMG_0363.jpeg

Terry, that is a REALLY GREAT 'hawk/hatchet, in my humble opinion. I love mine.

*Not meaning to put a negative "spin" on things, but wanted to add...

I can't tell if that is the "River Wash" finish or not, but TOPS had some issues with that particular "coating". As far as I can tell, it's some kind of "etch" with a clear Cerakote covering. (*The clear Cerakote has proven to be a bit of an issue) On my TOPS "hard use" stuff, I've had MUCH better luck with their standard powder coating. I'm pretty sure that, if you contacted them and made them aware of the pitting, they'd gladly strip and re-coat it for you, with a more robust coating. Just sayin'.

I can't tell if that is the "River Wash" finish or not, but TOPS had some issues with that particular "coating". As far as I can tell, it's some kind of "etch" with a clear Cerakote covering. (*The clear Cerakote has proven to be a bit of an issue) On my TOPS "hard use" stuff, I've had MUCH better luck with their standard powder coating. I'm pretty sure that, if you contacted them and made them aware of the pitting, they'd gladly strip and re-coat it for you, with a more robust coating. Just sayin'.
Yes! I’d love to see that re-coated. That hawk is such a handsome piece, it deserves better than to be pitted and rusted. If it were me personally, I’d send it in to Tops, have it redone, keep it in the house and buy a cheap Estwing hatchet for the truck. Or better yet, an Estwing tomahawk (that’s what I keep in my car). Great tomahawk for the truck and 1/8th the cost of that Tops. You won’t feel bad also if it ever gets stolen.

1708842809483.jpeg

Yes! I’d love to see that re-coated. That hawk is such a handsome piece, it deserves better than to be pitted and rusted. If it were me personally, I’d send it in to Tops, have it redone, keep it in the house and buy a cheap Estwing hatchet for the truck. Or better yet, an Estwing tomahawk (that’s what I keep in my car). Great tomahawk for the truck and 1/8th the cost of that Tops. You won’t feel bad also if it ever gets stolen.

View attachment 2509400

I agree; It's terrible to see that Hammer Hawk pitted. It's just too beautiful a piece.

My "High Impact" axe has TOPS' standard powder coating, and has held-up VERY well, despite my abuse... (*ZERO pitting or rust)

20230226_171153 (BF).jpg

20231112_071217 (BF).jpg

One of my TOPS' "Tex Creek" knives had some issues with the "River Wash" stuff, pretty early on.

They gladly stripped and re-coated it...

20210806_124929 (BF).jpg

TOPS is a great company, they’ll fix that. That’s too nice to let it rust in a truck bed, but maybe you’ve got money coming out of your ears. I’d leave that duty to a $20 harbor freight POS.

Last edited:

I have a tops Tex Creek XL that has the river wash and its rusted, under the clear coat. Great tool, and not a ding on tops. I always wanted one of their fasthawks and never bought it. Then they were discontinued.

Thank you for all the great advice. I definitely will contact Tops, I had no idea the issues. Also I will look into a less expensive version for my truck!

Guys- I received an email right back this morning from Tops! They WILL cover the stripping and recoating!
They gave me my option of powder coating or cerakote. Which do you guys suggest????

Thanks!
Excellent! I would personally choose powder coating. It’s going to be more durable and well suited for a tool that is meant to chop and smash things. Maybe you can ask them for pics of a piece that was done in powder coat and one that was done with cerakote to help you decide. Tops customer is really good, that’s been my experience with them

Thank you for the reply! They did, indeed, send me pics to choose from. I just wanted more opinions. Thank you!

Well crap. It’s a word doc from Tops and it isn’t letting me load it here. If you wanna PM me your email address I’d be happy to forward it to you.

Since you asked, I'll throw my $0.02 in here...

I prefer powder to Cerakote. For me, it's just a personal thing. I've had many great experience(s) with TOPS powder over many years of usage. Obviously, neither is bulletproof and both will strip along the angles/grinds that are exposed to impact and chopping.

In the last few years (*post pandemic, I believe) TOPS started using Cerakote. I didn't look it up but would bet my savings that the Hammer Hawk is probably currently being offered in Cerakote. The reason that I would presume that is that the HH has a bit of intricate detailing/design work to it. And therein lies the one deficiency of powder. I believe that Cerakote is applied much thinner than powder and can kinda' follow the facets of the intricate designs better. So, if you like the intricate details/designs, I would go with Cerakote.

Either way, both are robust, and TOPS is a great company and does outstanding work. I'm glad they're getting you fixed-up.

Happy hunting.

Last edited:
Terry, it all depends on what you like the looks of. TOPS powdercoat is pretty heavy and chunky, but wears fast. I haven’t had any of their cerakoted stuff, but have a few cerakoted Busse and kin. Cerakote tends to be much thinner and much more durable, but it will wear.

Good luck with whichever you choose.

Back