First hewing hang

PhilipWimberly

Gold Member
I don't know what I don't know. Hope this group can help. The head has a 4" bit and weighs 1.12lb. At this point, I'm planning to simply Google right-handed hewing hatchet handles.
It seems like I should probably be aiming for around 16". Is that right? I think I understand that hewing hatchets should have slightly longer handles than a similar-sized "regular" hatchet.
Are they made with different curves/offsets?
With the correct handle, is the hanging process identical to any other hang?

Here is my Great Grandfathers hewing hatchet. House handles was able to supply me an un-cataloged 18" straight handle in a size close to the eye in this old Craftsman.

For some reason when my great Uncle passed it down it had a cut down axe handle and was put on left handed. I did some research and it seems for some of these you can put the head on either way to make it right or left handed. I installed it right handed.

As received:

Now

I'm just about done with my first (and last) broad axe rehaft. It's an old Norton single bevel that has been a challenge. It's pitted all over, and I'm not sure what to do with the head. It's not beat up, the edge is good and the overall profile very good. I'm leaning toward polishing it to a point and calling it good. I will give it back to my buddy as a wall hanger. Any suggestions are welcome. Dog

Back