"Fish-Knife" - Anything Special?

Hey all, I had a girlfriend's relative give me this knife because he knew I was into them (I'm mostly a modern folder - don't have too many traditional blades.) He is 54 and said it was his Dad's knife.

I was hoping maybe some of you had some insight on this one.

Thanks

bD8kg3jm.jpg
sMjHNfsm.jpg
68eGtiCm.jpg

OK, I'm guessing a bit here until someone comes along with more positive knowledge, but I have seen that knife. My Uncle had one exactly like that. It sticks in my mind because it is a toothpick pattern and most of the toothpick fish knives that I have seen actually have two blades - one for cutting, one for scaling. But this one has the scaler built into the top of the blade, just like his did. Probably celluloid handles.

I can't put a date on it (maybe a better, bigger more detailed pic of the tang would help) but I think it "might" be an Imperial Providences [Edit: Provinces?] Fish Knife. I sure wouldn't bet on that because I'm trying to rely on memory and that just ain't whut it used ta be. ;)

Good luck. I hope you get a definitive answer from someone who knows for sure. Very nice knife. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Could be an Imperial. Can you get a better picture of the tang stamp?

This tang stamp tells you a whole story!
Who, where, when, etc!
ExpEnl-1.jpg

Could be an Imperial. Can you get a better picture of the tang stamp?

This tang stamp tells you a whole story!
Who, where, when, etc!
ExpEnl-1.jpg

In the triangle it says 'Viking,' and below it, it says 'N.Y.'

Looks like Eric Wedemyer had these made by Union Cutlery Co, Olean N.Y.
In the early 1930s, most likely.

Back