Fiskers 8lbs Isocore maul review

Just got this guy last week.

I've been making extra cash splitting wood so I thought it would be nice to see if a product could make my life easier.

What draws me to this mail is that the geometry of the bit looks ready to use out of box.

Also I saw that the advertised this Isocore technology which is basically a vibration damper on the handle.

Those that know, know that one of the shortcomings of the regular fiskers products is that the have more shock to the hands then a wood handle.

Which is not a big deal until it is, definitely increased fatigue and reduces comfort after long jobs.

So went out last week and give it a quick run with my busy schedule.

Here are some pictures.

Isocore 8lbs maul on the top
Fiskers x27 on bottom

Both 36"handles.

The handle has a slim geometry, is nice.

It's biggest short coming is the rubber grip. It's more suited to users that use gloves. The rubber is tougher on the bare hands

The geometry is great, it's close to the Gransfors splitting axe which has monster performance, since the bit has great penetration to really deliver that splitting energy to big rounds.

Excellent geometry.

Comes with a convex edge. It's good to go out of box. But can definitely be sharper for more skilled users.

The strike face is nice, easy to make hits.
Took some damage, but they all do :D

The construction is interesting, it's a drop forged closed die head hung like a mattock with a bolt on each side. The bolts appear to be stripped out to prevent tapering once secured.

Held up to some hard hitting swings, Fiskers has a reputation for being bombproof. We'll see how it holds up over time.

Conclusion

I like this tool.
It's what was missing in the Fiskers line up.

The Isocore technology works.

I was impressed at the difference between the Isocore and the x27

It's that noticable.

I think it will be a game changer if Fiskers figures out how to adapt the Isocore technology to the rest of there line.

Especially if they drop the rubberized grip.

The feel on impact is very interesting.

Almost through me off guard when using some heavy hits

Reminds me of a firecracker in a bucket of water.

The shock is very muffled.

Felt like I was punching underwater.

I'll have to do a more direct comparison to a wood handle the next time I'm out.

I'm always pleased when something works as advertised.

I would recommend this to a friend who needs a no non sense tool

I'll share more as I use it.

Got lots to split this summer.

Nice review, thanks! I don't usually look at the Fiskars line since it's more modern in appearance than I like. However, if they have put some tech in there to save my wrists/arms I'll give it a look.

Been wondering about those new handles, thanks for the great write-up as usual. I guessed it would be nice on the maul, but what I'm really curious about is if it has any negative impacts on feel or control with the smaller, finer tools.

Nice review. I personally like my x27 better but the isocore is nice for the stubborn stuff. It will make a man out of you trying to swing it all day though. It is a heavy beast.

Great to see it mate! I listened Fiskars was trying Basque axes for a while, now we see they were trying the hanging method.

Glad to know the new maul performs so well, I hope they have improved heat treatment too. The two splitting axes I tried years ago were clearly bad heat treated.

I agree you, let's see if they use that technology in other axes. About Isocore, it won't be anything new, I think it will be a chamber filled with some sort of sand or pellets. The remarcable thing is they have been able to implement it in an axe and make it to work properly.

Allways good to read your posts man!

Back