Fixed blade hunting knife/general purpose camping for under $50

Another vote for Mora.
Also the Sog Seal Pup, right around $50 bucks. Super sharp would make a great skinning knife. You would probably want to get one without serrations for camp chores/whittling.
They are both great knives but the Mora will surprise you with what it can do, considering how inexpensive it is.

I think if you are buying something as economical as that there's a fair chance it is made in China and branded up with a different company name anyway. So why not got straight for the brain and buy something OEM. These aren't to my taste but I've seen very good reviews testifying to the solidity and build quality. They are from Cas Hanwei as part of their Rock Creek range. They use Hanwei's own HWS-1K steel ran at 58/60 RC and are a very substantial 6mm thick. As yet I've been unable to get to what the composition of that steel is but apparently it resits rust and works rather well. I doubt it is inferior to any of the offerings above and could well be a lot better. From what I've read the tangs are pretty hefty too. Both of these are 4.5” long. Either of those would cost me £55 GBP so surely they must come in under your budget there. If you like the style you might do well to ferret out some follow up reading on these.
rc20110515232648.jpg
rc20110515232633.jpg
rc20110515232611.jpg
Still, if I was loading up on the hunting / skinning aspect rather than utility the 3.5 blade of the Boker Plus Anchorage Pro Skinner wouldn't put me off. It looks like an excellent value interpretation of a Bob Dozier design, and designing those kind of knives is what he excels at. It's stainless and Boker so you'll probably get a lot more insight here about these than you will here.

Check into the Condor Knife & Tool Bushcraft/camp series. These are not stainless but they do have a protective coating on the steel. These are awsome knives for the money, I've got the 5" Bushcrafter & the Nessie. They are easy to sharpen.

I have been using a Buck 119 Special for hunting for the past 25 years. Even after I got into "better", (read more expensive) knives, I still talk my 119 hunting. There are smaller models that I alos like as others have said.

You also can't gow wrong with the Moras.

Thanks guys for the feed back, wow, I'm overwhelmed, I'm looking into all those knives, especially those Hanwei's, interesting.

As for the Buck 119, nice knife, but I find it just a tad too big for my tastes when making precision cuts. I know I said 5'' but I should've said around 4'', but I appreciate the input none the less.

As for Condor's, I love 'em too, I have the big brother of the Rodan, thick steel, however, as mentioned, not stainless, also no finger guards either, when my hand get's all slippery and wet, a finger guard is important to me.

As for the Kershaw Bear Hunter II, would anyone who owns one happen to know the thickness of the blade? I watched a video review of it and it seems real decent, nice handle and all, I'm pretty close to getting one of those, but also might consider a Mora for the heck of it too, even though they only have 2mm thick blades(it's so cheap I figured why not?).

So, a Becker BK2 might cost you more like $60, but a BK2 is hard to beat.

Product Features
Knife with drop point shape, 20-degree blade
Made of 1095 cro-van steel blade for strength
Handle made of Grivory material
Blade measures 5.5 inches; knife is 10.5 inches long

Look up reviews, you won't be dissapointed!

I think if you are buying something as economical as that there's a fair chance it is made in China and branded up with a different company name anyway. So why not got straight for the brain and buy something OEM. These aren't to my taste but I've seen very good reviews testifying to the solidity and build quality. They are from Cas Hanwei as part of their Rock Creek range. They use Hanwei's own HWS-1K steel ran at 58/60 RC and are a very substantial 6mm thick. As yet I've been unable to get to what the composition of that steel is but apparently it resits rust and works rather well. I doubt it is inferior to any of the offerings above and could well be a lot better. From what I've read the tangs are pretty hefty too. Both of these are 4.5” long. Either of those would cost me £55 GBP so surely they must come in under your budget there. If you like the style you might do well to ferret out some follow up reading on these.
rc20110515232648.jpg
rc20110515232633.jpg
rc20110515232611.jpg
Still, if I was loading up on the hunting / skinning aspect rather than utility the 3.5 blade of the Boker Plus Anchorage Pro Skinner wouldn't put me off. It looks like an excellent value interpretation of a Bob Dozier design, and designing those kind of knives is what he excels at. It's stainless and Boker so you'll probably get a lot more insight here about these than you will here.

I love the looks of these knives. I think that stacked leather handles are some the MOST comfortable there are.

the new Kabar Mark 1 Navy has been positively reviewed so far... I know I'll be getting one the next paycheck I get.

It also fits your criteria except the stainless part, though it is coated.

Alternately, I would strongly recommend one of the many Mora options. I'm particularly partial to the Craftline All Around.

I totally agree with the comments about Kabar/Becker's, great knives, I'm familiar with them, in fact I'm eying to get the Bk9 some time. As for the BK2, excellent knife, though I can't picture myself using it to field dress, it can be done...but that's too much width for me!

I was looking for the same thing you were. After a ton of research, I bought a Buck Vanguard. What a great knife! Drop point, hollow ground for good slicing, deep belly, .137" thick, perfect blade length for hunting and bush crafting, steel that really holds an edge and feels really nice in the hand. This model Buck is going to be tough to beat. Also has Buck's "Forever" warranty.

Mora's are hard to beat, I personally find the narrow blade width a advantage for skinning. I skin out some of the most difficult animals (Bobcat, yotes, fox, etc.) The mora is very prdicatable, easy to sharpen and clean.

This is my current favorite. It offers a bit better edge retention. High vis handle, comfortable, sheath sucks, but it is what it is

http://www.bensbackwoods.com/servlet/Detail?no=387

Good Sheath

http://www.bensbackwoods.com/servlet/Detail?no=384

I skinned out 3 yotes and a elk and still havent touched the edge

Knives of Alaska have some good hunting specific blades. Then again I can buy a box of ten of the above for that

Something to give some thought too, what kind of grind do you want ? While a hollow ground blade may slice like crazy it's not renownd as a bushcrafter. I think a Convex or a Scandi will be the ticket for your dual need knife

Last edited:
Mora Triflex. I had Moras all over the place, in vehicles, in kitchen junk drawers, etc. Most if not all have gone to friends and family, except for the Triflex. It is one of the most expensive Moras out there. I have a love/hate relationship with scandis, and am very picky about them. The Triflex rides in my bag, and gets used a lot.

Back