For the love of...Spears!

Hey guys,

I've taken an itch, I have been binge watching Vikings lately ( LOL, no seriously ) and have decided I want a Viking flavored portion of my current collection...

To that end I've added 6 axes in the last month....

1. CS Warhammer
2. CS 1h Viking hand axe
3. CS Viking axe
4. CS Norse hawk on 30 inch handle
5. CS Spike hawk on 30 inch handle
6. Rinaldi Trento axe 1300g head size 34 inch handle.

I'm pretty happy with where I am axe wise ATM as far as Viking flavor goes...

I'm working on making a shield and a set of Brigandine armor.... just for grins...

I have a decent Viking sword and 2 good Seax...( why the heck doesn't CS make a good Seax about the same size as the Scottish Dirk?!? )

I've turned my attention currently to Spears.... I'd like to have 1 to use as a hand weapon and 2 to throw.....

My problem is I have never seen or used, nor is there any place locally for me to go see for myself the spears...they I guess rightfully so, are a very specialty item it seems...

SO..... Do I go with the old stand by with the Boar Spear for hand use and the long handled Assegai for throwing? They have stamped sheet metal heads that take a wicked edge and slice as well as most knives....OR do I venture into the new MAA spear line with its true socket style mount and clamshell construction which makes a thicker head better suited for piercing but is pretty bad for slashing and cutting...

I have so little first hand experience with the spears, and sadly, info on the internet is actually pretty sparse about them as well, especially considering the differences between the two styles in use...

I was hoping to hear from folks who may own ANY CS spear.... what do you like about the one you own? what do you NOT like about the one you own? which would you get next if someone offered you any spear of your choice free of charge? If you could go back and do it again, would you buy the one you currently have again or opt for a different one?

Just looking to pick the collective brains of you guys on the spears... any thoughts are welcome, regardless of personal experience with the items in question...

PATICULARLY interested in hearing thoughts on the MAA line compared to the older single layer stamped steel versions....

Anyone? .....thoughts? ideas? suggestions?

Thanks!!!

Hawgsnawt

I have made 2 spears using the CS Bushman. One with a 3 foot hardwood handle for home defence and the other is the bowie bushman with a 4.5 foot hardwood hoe handle. The "real" CS spears were just out of my price range so I went with these. Both are awesome for both throwing and also for short spear work. The 3 foot handle one is great for bayonet techniques in confined spaces. Anyway...this weekend is the Medieval fair in my area and a local gun show......great weekend planned.

Spears don't get the respect they deserve. Throughout history they were the most prolific and effective weapon short of the bow and firearm. I don't have one but I've seen an Assegai in action and held one. They blow through whatever they are thrown at and a solid thrust goes deeper than it feels like it should. Even a wooden pointed, fire hardened spear is absolutely vicious.

I don't know if they still make them, but Windlass used to have something called a Hero spear. It's an absolute monster for size, really it's a leaf blade short sword on a socket, and I figured I could grind it out to whatever shape I eventually wanted. But it's too much fun just like it is. If I went and got another spear, I would go with the MAA version to have the full socket. The CS shovel works fine with the stamped metal construction, but I find it aesthetically unpleasing. This doesn't matter at all for something I use as a tool, but for me a spear is basically for run and I therefore want to maximize the enjoyment. My secret mad scientist plan though, is to pick up a MAA lance, cut it to walking stick length, and bodger together a quick release foot.

get the CS frontierHawk over the Norse hawk. the frontier one is truer in design to the Nordic axe. The aboriginals only used them when my Normand ancestors brought em for trade. It was the most prized item of bartering after the musquets for them.

All I can really share on the subject of the cs maa line is from my personal experience with the English bill, which I do love, even though it did break on me after I whacked a dead plumb tree. It took a fair amount of abuse before it cracked, but when it did removing the shaft from the socket was a fucking nightmare, tool for ever had to use so many different tools and took so long. Got it cleared out of the old shaft, and stuck it on a broom handle, cs. Customer service could probably get me a new shaft but I havnt called. Really awesome weapon though. Tough and fun.

Axes, lol, ya it is easy to go there if you like to wander around out of town. I recently gave away a Fiskars x-25 splitter as I got tired of the weight. I picked up a little x-11 replacement as it is compact and I don't need to split mighty oaks for a fire. My fancy shmancy axes are still around though, can't quit em, lol.............Never had an interest in spears myself. But I did get a Bushman which of course is adaptable toward that use.

My secret mad scientist plan though, is to pick up a MAA lance, cut it to walking stick length, and bodger together a quick release foot.
:) I've often thought it would be very cool to have a carry knife that could be quickly attached to a walking stick or cane . Instant spear ! :cool:

I love spears. They are one of the most useful weapons on the ancient battlefield. I love the naginata which combines my favourite Japanese swords and a spear into an amazing polearm.

The Yari, Japanese spear is another favourite of mine. I love the often used triangular cross section of the blade. I also love the crossbar they put on many yari I believe it is called a kama-yari. I think the addition of that simple crossblade amplifies their ability in combat massively.

So, I have replied to this thread before, but once again I went to the Medieval Fayre, and this time purchased a German Winged (or Lugged) spear head. the result has been put on Instagram at gunsandknives4488 for those interested. Love me a good spear.

I wish that CS would start offering their spears and polearms with shafts made out of the indestructible polymer stuff they make the bats out of.

I have a Cold Steel micro Samburu, but I haven't been in good enough health since I bought the thing to do any testing or have any fun. From just casual handling, I think this spear would be a fun little throwing spear. Many videos show people throwing them into plywood, but when I feel better, I'm thinking of buying some bales of straw to stack into a backdrop and just spray paint some circles on the straw. Another possibility would be pinning paper plates to the straw. I think this type of target would cause less damage to the spear over a long period of practice. If you want something for serious hunting, you should probably get one of the larger Samburu models.

If someone were going to give me any Cold Steel spear that I wanted, I'd ask for the MAA European Boar Spear.

When Lewis and Clark led the Corps of Discovery across the western part of North America, they carried a weapon that their journals called an "espontoon." Meriwether Lewis was particularly known for taking exploratory walks using this tool as a walking staff, but the spear head on the top was a viable weapon. In one famous encounter, he was chased by a grizzly bear. He knew he couldn't win on ground, but he waded into waist-deep to chest-deep water in the river. He believed that the bear would have to swim towards him to attack, and swimming would keep the bear's arms occupied. His plan was to stab the bear with the espontoon as it approached. The bear saw him standing there with the spear and decided to run the other way. Lewis was never sure why the bear was so frightened that it would run when Lewis had no way to attack it on the shore.

I go through this long explanation to say that statues of Meriwether Lewis with his espontoon show a weapon that looks a great deal like the MAA European Boar Spear. I'd like to have something evocative of the Corps of Discovery.

Back