Osage Orange
Nessmuk%2520Osage%2520Orange.JPG

Rosewood
Grohmann%2520%25233%2520CAF%2520%283%29.JPG

Curly Birch
Helle%2520Viking.JPG

Last edited:
Some nice ebony scales on Böker Exskelibur II
I have that very same knife with cocobolo scales. And they are cracked. Wood looks good, but, at least in a folder... it doesn't last. That's my opinion, o course. And no, I didn't drop the knife or anything. Maybe the live nature of the material and the dimensional changes with humidity, heat, etc are the culprits, but I don't care... No more wood for me!"

I have that very same knife with cocobolo scales. And they are cracked. Wood looks good, but, at least in a folder... it doesn't last. That's my opinion, o course. And no, I didn't drop the knife or anything. Maybe the live nature of the material and the dimensional changes with humidity, heat, etc are the culprits, but I don't care... No more wood for me!"

Sorry to hear, Mikel. Maybe stabilized wood is the answer for you... should be impervious to the elements and still show nice wood grain. Here's an example (in my pocket right now):

oQA7wye.jpg

Nice thread, S silvaticus !

Back in the day wood was my preferred handle material. Looking through my 60 or so today I don't have a lot left. Here's a couple Bucks, the 110 in Koa and the 112 Ranger in "American" (white) Oak. I used to have a Buck Duke in Rosewood but didn't care for the blade shape so I gave it to my neighbor in Vermont and ordered the Ranger from the Buck Custom Shop.

I shot these last year and even in the shade it was hard to find an angle to keep the glint off those polished blades and bolsters.

I like the Bucks without the grind lines and exposed rivets. I put these on my belt infrequently when up North, but these knives hold an iconic place in the history of modern cutlery and are a touchstone for any folding knife collection.

AJIEmhA.jpg

I'll dig out a few more and post some more pics going forward.

Well, you haven't posted much in the last 6 years, HolyGrail, but this pic was worth the wait. I have the identical Fluted Ti Military and a version of each Manix and am blown away by the burl wood scales on the XL. I generally favor open architecture, but that backspacer on the big boy is pretty damn handsome. It reminds me of the one on my Shiro F3 Python.

I don't carry my Manix's much, but I'd have a hard time putting my XL down if it looked like yours! Nice work, man. Did you do that yourself?

Funny how the photo angle makes the XL look so much bigger than the Millie. I had to get my three out to check. o_O

Nice thread, S silvaticus !

Back in the day wood was my preferred handle material. Looking through my 60 or so today I don't have a lot left. Here's a couple Bucks, the 110 in Koa and the 112 Ranger in "American" (white) Oak. I used to have a Buck Duke in Rosewood but didn't care for the blade shape so I gave it to my neighbor in Vermont and ordered the Ranger from the Buck Custom Shop.

I shot these last year and even in the shade it was hard to find an angle to keep the glint off those polished blades and bolsters.

I like the Bucks without the grind lines and exposed rivets. I put these on my belt infrequently when up North, but these knives hold an iconic place in the history of modern cutlery and are a touchstone for any folding knife collection.

AJIEmhA.jpg

I'll dig out a few more and post some more pics going forward.

Thanks ChazzyP! 56% of my (small) collection currently has wooden handles and I have another one in walnut on the way, so I guess you could say that I do love wood. But I also wouldn't part with my knives in micarta, aluminum and G10 - variety is the spice of the nice!

And you wouldn't believe how often I have already configured the online custom Buck configurator to the exact specs your 112 has (oak, no rivets) just to look at it. The 112 somehow just looks very sexy to my eyes, and it is a true classic indeed. I'm still debating between brass and nickel bolsters, and will probably go for the S30V satin over the 420HC mirror polish, but I guess eventually I'll have to get one of these bad boys!

Well, you haven't posted much in the last 6 years, HolyGrail, but this pic was worth the wait. I have the identical Fluted Ti Military and a version of each Manix and am blown away by the burl wood scales on the XL. I generally favor open architecture, but that backspacer on the big boy is pretty damn handsome. It reminds me of the one on my Shiro F3 Python.

I don't carry my Manix's much, but I'd have a hard time putting my XL down if it looked like yours! Nice work, man. Did you do that yourself?

Funny how the photo angle makes the XL look so much bigger than the Millie. I had to get my three out to check. o_O

Lol, I kinda stopped posting in the forum. I noticed that there seem to be to much hostility toward new posters, so my joy of joining faded real quick. I still pop in time to time, because I still love knives.

Besides the Millie, the Manix XL is my fav Spyderco. Nothing else they have really catches my eye like those two. A custom scale can make normal EDC into a thing of beauty.
The Manix XL scales are from Cuscadi, and the titanium spacer is from amazon. Both took 2 1/2 months be delivered. The only thing I did was stain the scales lightly to make it darker. When they came they were close but just off the color I wanted. Now it looks perfect. I'm still stunned by it.
Might buy another Manix, just to try another custom scale with a different wood. :)

Last edited:
Back