Frame Handle Hunter WIP *now with finished product*

Hi Jason,
I, too, am curious about the reason for making a frame handle knife. The only reason I can think of is so you don't have to buy such a long piece of super expensive super stainless steel. Is that the reason?
Tim

From my "Why do I want to build a frame handle hunter" thread...

"Because framed handle knives show your skill level. They also look really cool."- Bruce Bump

".... to prove that you can!" - Stacy Apelt

Because youre a great knifemaker and you can do whatever you want and it will come out great.

That's internet hype. I'm a goof ball just like the rest of you guys. Half of experience is figuring out how to make mistakes and cover them up so it looks like you meant it that way :)

Great WIP tutorial Jason, and very nice work. That last statement would come
pretty close to correct.
Ken.

Last edited:
Hi Jason,
I, too, am curious about the reason for making a frame handle knife. The only reason I can think of is so you don't have to buy such a long piece of super expensive super stainless steel. Is that the reason?
Tim

That was exactly what I was thinking.

So, do it just to show you can? Sounds reasonable.

Great thread.

Some handle material looks better as scales IMHO, but a solide guard as on a hidden tang also looks better then a U-shaped one on some full tangs.
A frame handle combines the best of those two
(plus the cool and skill points made before)

OT good looking knife!

I got it finished last night about 10:30 :) I had a Christmas party with my kids tonight, and I'm travelling tomorrow, but I'll try and get some pics up Wednesday.

I didn't get to take good pics yet, but did shoot a short video of the completed knife, and I found a couple more progress pics to show.

I wanted to show a couple of pics of my glue-up jig. When a knifemaker passes unexpectedly, his wife is left to deal with all his knifemaking stuff. This jig came from the estate of another maker. I purchased a bunch of his equipment, and this jig was thrown in. The basic idea is that the front end clamps the blade, while the back end has a threaded rod to apply pressure on the butt of the knife. Since this knife is so far along, I padded everything with leather for the final glue up.

001.jpg

0021.jpg

Finally finished :)

[video=youtube_share;AY6z6iU2kJg]http://youtu.be/AY6z6iU2kJg[/video]

Back