GEC #79 Montana whittler first impressions**pic heavy**

Oh man, I really didn't need to see those pics. One of these is now near, if not at, the top of my "To get" list.

Congrats on a fine looking knife.

Often with polished micarta, roughing it s unnecessary. Try rinsing it with rubbing alcohol first. I've found that usually removes all of the buffing compound are reveals the micarta grain.

Actually, just put it in your pocket. The rest will take care of itself. I have one of those Lumberjacks with micarta grips. They were smooth at first but have got a nice grippy surface after just a bit of pocket time.

Actually, just put it in your pocket. The rest will take care of itself. I have one of those Lumberjacks with micarta grips. They were smooth at first but have got a nice grippy surface after just a bit of pocket time.

Handle patina....I like it. Sounds like your enjoying that lumberjack :thumbup: Do you happen to have a pic?

Well I have been carrying it for about a week and a half. I started out with carrying the workhorse in my right front pocket. I also carried a spyderco para2 with xhp in my back pocket as a backup/faster deploying knife. The first couple days I did a few cuts with the para, babying the new whittler. As I gained confidence and comfort with it, I decided to leave the para at home one day. I was demoing a kitchen for renovation. Have used the knife for many cutting chores from cutting old caulking out to scoring sheetrock, each blade is finding its role. The big thick spearpoint is the perfect beater blade. Thick with a stout tip its made for the rougher chores that need a little more knife thrown at it. The clip blade is very handy being ground super thin with a fine point. I am dedicating it to any food prep or clean work, it wont see any dirty jobs. The wharnie has already become my favorite. I use it for most tasks, its the mvp by far, thin for carving clean lines threw cardboard yet stout enough to not worry about it. I did break the tip yesterday, cutting the caulking on an old cultured marble countertop. I believe in a months time Ill have sharpened it out, just the very fine tip broke. In retrospect that job should have been done by the spearpoint, a mistake I wont soon repeat. I dont miss the para in my back pocket and I dont see me bringing it along as a backup anymore. The workhorse is starting out strong. I have my first two case knives arriving tomorrow. I am excited to experiment some more with these traditionals. I think its safe to say at this point, I got the slipjoint fever bad.
2012-06-27181636.jpg

A little fuzzy but trying to show the broken tip. Already has light patina and tiny rust dots(check location). Need to get this thing in a potato and get a better start on the patina.

Overall the #79 Montana workhorse whittler from GEC gets a big :thumbup: in my book. Highly recomended as a beefy slipjoint!!!

I always used my Boker large stockman at work and a Opinel #9, the Opi was great for ruff and dirty work, it was also the knife I would let others use when they asked for a knife, I figured if they don't carry one they don't respect one. That Opi cut Sheetrock, cement board, everything, had to sharpen it daily.

I have been meaning to buy an opi and try it out. Could throw it in my tool bag, along with a sharpening stone. I know I would use it or loan it at some point ;) good call stitch.

I have been meaning to buy an opi and try it out. Could throw it in my tool bag, along with a sharpening stone. I know I would use it or loan it at some point ;) good call stitch.

I loaned my first Opi out to someone on a job, they hit a live wire about midway down the blade blew a chunk out,then the guy decided he would do me a favor and try and use a grinding wheel to fix it. I was glad it was the Opi and not my Boker stockman, or my GEC moose.

Back