Gen 1 Rubicon?

It looks like a nice EDC knife but I'd appreciate some feedback from previous / current owners. How's the action, lockup, long term durability, etc.? Having owned one, would you buy it again?

lots of youtube reviews on this one. not a particular great EDC knife at all. the rubicon2 and magnitude solve some of the issues, however the rubicon 1 has amazing quality, fit and finish and better looks. the action is also better.

personally if i were collecting id get one again. otherwise no thanks.

Last edited:
Best Spyderco flipper action I've owned. Great looking and beautiful fit and finish. However, its kinda an odd little knife that really didn't carry well IMO. Sometimes I regret selling it, but it would only exist for photos and fondling so it had to go.

I appreciate the responses. Is the primary complaint that it's a bit thick? I tried doing some searches but didn't come up with much with respect to the differences between the gen 1 and 2 models...I just like the look of the gen 1.

gen 2 would be the magnitude. its much different while still looking similar.

Nick Shabazz did a review on it, and iirc also compared it to the Rubicon in the video.

his original review of the Rubicon
There's a Rubicon 1 and a G-10 Rubicon 2.

I own a Rubicon 1. The CF scales are very nice. The blade shape is a little odd and overall the handle is about 1/4" too short for me to get a comfortable grip. The materials and F&F are probably the best out of any Spyderco I own. However, it's not really a knife I'd want to tear up. I carry mine on special occasions. I prefer G-10 or titanium for a regular carry folder.

The flipping action on my Rubicon is fantastic. Lockup is good. I had some stick with the titanium lock so I marked it a little with a pencil and that took away the stick.

Back