Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to prove Gerber can make a decent fb at a fair price ($100-$120 street/evil-bay), recall the Gerber Freeman in S30V and Stag - with a leather sheath - USA made, too! Below it is seen with a CRK Nyala (S35VN & $230) and a bargain Benchmade Bone Collector fb 15005-2 (D2 & $125 MSRP):

IMG_4590.jpg

The Gerber's S30V has held up well - never chipped or rolled the edge - yet. Still, it 'seems' less stout than Buck's S30V. I have a mystery-metal LMFII, a 'Pappy's Day' gift years ago from #1 son, that I cannot warm up to - probably the handle and serrations combined - I hate both! It's in a spare bug out bag.

I have a friend who got a BG folder for the recent 'Pappy's Day' from a grown and well-off offspring. My #2 son got me nothing... when I saw his knife last week, we both agreed - I made out better. It's a checkout stand $5 PRC-made knife - with BG on it - for $30. I fear an earlier poster is correct... there may be fewer halloween plastic pumpkins this year at the dollar stores - their plastic went into BG folders! Oh... my friend wanted to know what to do with it... I suggested he put it in his will... to the gifter. I'll wager that many poor guys got BG knives this year for Pappy's Day. Of course, a Bayley version would be nice... I'll bet termites taste better served on it than the PRC versions, too.

Stainz

@ the hog : He jumps and climbs around a lot, maybe a belted knife would be disturbing.

problem with that is he used to wear his knives on a belt

he's probably embarrassed to carry that pos so he put it in his official best grylls pack

Good Knife. I bought a small folding one $15 walmart ( 3/18 inch closed ) because it was the only one that would
fit length and width wise in my tiny tackle box compartment and also it looked ok.
Its very nice, Super, Razor sharp.
I was really surprised.
BTW If someone knows of another small folder knife for $15 or less I would love to hear about it.

Does the LMF fit into the BG sheath? Also does a Mora fit....what other knife have you tried to fit into the BG sheath? The sheath alone is cool and almost justifies the cost. I've been looking into buying an LMF (Instead of the prodigy) as it looks like a great knife for a B.O.B. in an urban environment. But if the GB fixed knife sheath were to fit a Mora or similar sized quality bushcraft blade, that would be cool.

The Prodigy fits in the BG sheath, the problem I have with both the prodigy and the LMF is the pointy "skull crushing" hilt, so when worn on my belt, they stick into my waist. The BG US knife doesnt, and as I've just returned from another two weeks in the bush, using it, I still havn't had any problems...

A manager at the local Gander Mountain told me their flying off the shelves...I work with a guy who takes his family kayaking and camping and has one..He brought it to work to show everyone and says he loves it , built three fires with it and no rust being in the water a few times...I'm debating on buying one myself...

Walmart has them listed at $40.00 on their website with free shipping...

CD

I think I'm going to get one too. I bought the Gerber/Bear Grylls firestarter for $10 or $11 and it has really impressed me. Very well made and works good.

The thread that wouldn't die. I am happy to see that Gerber did the right thing and fixed the weak pommel. I am also happy to see that the Bear Grylls Ultimate knife is selling well. I had said that I would do a review on the new and improved model, but that seems unnecessary now. The pommel was the only problem I had with the knife, and other users have found that the new model holds up just fine. Hats off to Gerber. I had faith in them all along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back