1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Giedymins big knives

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by giedymin, Feb 8, 2012.

1. giedymin

giedymin KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 8, 2012
    Hello my name is Giedymin, I’m knife maker from Poland. I’m more like a beginner, an amateur maybe in comparison to many other knife makers from my country, but I think I made few blades worth showing.:)
    It is really hard to find some stuff of mine on the web although I have my own website ( it’s almost impossible to find it if you don’t know the exact address), so I though I could show few of my knives here.
    I like big blades but I’ve made a few of those smaller ones too, I usually use NZ3 carbon tool steel (it is something very similar to S2 (AISI) and it has really high impact resistance), and natural materials (wood and deer stag) for handles. I mostly do differential heat treatment to increase overall strength of the blade. For steel I use (with heat treatment I usually do) the hardness >57HRC on the cutting edge and lower on the back.
    Unfortunately for this steel despite of its great properties for big blades is really hard to obtain hamon especially with higher temper temperatures.
    My knives aren’t perfect but I always try to make them as solid as possible.
    If You have any questions I will try to answer and help if You want to know how it is made.
    You can find more pictures and information about my blades on my website:
    http://www.giedyminsbigblades.awsome.pl/
    I think I'll be putting some pictures of newly finished knives of mine here in the future.:)

Few pictures of my favorites:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Short movie
    http://youtu.be/mnMk4Bn88RQ
    And the last one:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://youtu.be/j9nVURvzfWM

And some short movies of my other knives in action:
    http://youtu.be/5y-2kgTk8E8
    http://youtu.be/I5KEX9nmNgo
    http://youtu.be/e9hhgsCJSsM

BEst regards
    Giedymin

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  2. Motey

Motey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Pretty awesome looking knives!

3. Jos

Jos

Oct 23, 2006
    Nice stuff!

I like that last one!

Kind regards

Jos

4. sasquatch1

sasquatch1

Mar 16, 2011
    you know i really like the looks of those! keep it up your knives look well made and very ateractive to the eyes. im also a fan of big knives myself.

5. snipe555

snipe555

Sep 4, 2011
    Ya know I surf these boards alot looking at pictures... don't post much... but these knives made me stop... wow. They are awesome! Very good craftsmanship! Love em!

6. nick425

nick425

Apr 22, 2011
    Well done, I really like them all.

7. Storm Crow

Storm Crow KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 12, 2006
    I really like these! Chopping brush is one of my main uses for a blade, and these look just perfect to do that.

8. elof_alv

elof_alv Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2009
    They look great!

9. giedymin

giedymin KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 8, 2012
    Thank You all for the opinions.:) They mean a lot for me.
    I hope I’ll show something new soon.

10. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Some great looking choppers.......don't think I didn't catch that Cold Steel Big Bore blow gun in that photo! I love playing with mine!

11. peterinct

peterinct

Dec 13, 1999
    Those do look like some GREAT choppers! I especially like the blade on the first one.

Peter

12. giedymin

Feb 8, 2012
    Few new knives of mine:) Hope You like them:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Best regards
    Giedymin

13. sasquatch1

sasquatch1

Mar 16, 2011
    oh man! i love them!
    oh and keep up the awesome work :)

14. giedymin

Feb 8, 2012
    Another one:
    Lenght of cutting edge - 28cm
    Width - 5,7 cm
    6,5 mm thick
    44 cm overall lenght.
    NZ3 (~S2) carbon tool steel. Some kind of Ironwood or black african wood (not sure), vulcanized fiber, ss

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hope You like it.

15. giedymin

Feb 8, 2012
    Hi
    Few of my latest creations:

Classic Bowie Nz3 (~S2 )carbon tool steel
    Length of blade -27,5cm
    Overall length – 42 cm
    Width – 5cm and 5 mm thick
    Guard, spacer and pommel are D2 semi stainless steel, leather, two hidden pins connecting guard, spacer and leather and 3 pins on the back.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

a primitive spike hawk
    Spring steel, 12 cm balde, 12 cm spike, 55 cm handle

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

full tang bowie
    Lenght of cutting edge - 26cm
    Width - 5cm
    5 mm thick
    40cm overall lenght.
    NZ3 (~S2) carbon tool steel. Dyed mahogany. Brass.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

heavy chopper
    Lenght of cutting edge - 24cm
    Width - 5 cm
    6,5 mm thick
    42 cm overall lenght.
    NZ3 (~S2) carbon tool steel.
    Jatoba, ss

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope you like it
    All the best
    Giedymin

16. jimw451

jimw451

Oct 11, 2011
    Beautiful work, but so far this one is my favorite!

17. sheathmaker

sheathmaker KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 18, 2005
    nice dog!

Paul

18. David Stifle

David Stifle KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 20, 2008
    I like all of them, some more than others, but every single one looks like it means business! Good workmanship all around. If you don't already have a knifemaker's membership from Bladeforums, I'd suggest you get one and post your knives in the for Knivemakers sales forum. They will sell quickly, I'm sure.:thumbup:

19. sasquatch1

sasquatch1

Mar 16, 2011
    i agree! if you sold one of these beauties i bed they would be gone in a heartbeat!

20. David Stifle

David Stifle KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 20, 2008
    It would ALL depend on your price A reasonable/competitive market price would result, I believe, in quite good sales. You would probably be hard pressed to keep up with your orders. I'd like to see some sheaths, that helps finish off the whole package. In any case, I enjoyed seeing your blades and wish you well. Feel free to email me or send me a private message via the forum. I'd be happy to help out if I can. By the way, each one of those knives deserves a sparate post rather than one continous thread, as, each stands on it's own merit.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012