Good cable?

Burchtree

KnifeMaker & Moderator
How do you know when you've got usable cable for making damascus? I got some from my father, but it wasn't rusted. It's only about a 1/2-inch thick and throws some good sparks. Any suggestions?

Michael if you'll pay for shipping I'll send you some good cable pieces cut to whatever length you want, 6"-8" ?? Let me know.

Bill

You got to know what the cable specs were.Don't waste a lot of time on mystery cable.It is cheap,even free from Bill.

Why thank you very much Bill. I'll shoot you an e-mail in the morning. :D

I just found another source here in New Bedford. It a ship fitters supply house that has all end pieces from the reels.
what do you guys use to cut the cable. I have been using my chopsaw but it kills the blades right quick. Go to start using the cutting torch.

George,George,George...I thought you had been doing this long enough to know how to cut cable without ruining your chop saw blade.
You call a friend up and tell him you just got ten feet of 1095 cable.You are willing to share some with him ,and you will bring it right over and show him how to cut it on his chop saw.
SA

Hey Stacy

I just got half a reel of good cable and I am on my way to Virginia. I will share it with you, and I will show you how to cut it down on your chopsaw.

did it work?

Doc

I use a torch to cut the cable. Don't use the oxy trigger, just get it hot and turn up the oxy valve, you can cut/melt/weld the ends at the same time. :D :D :D

Testing cable, heat quench and break it just like any mystery steel.

Sweany said:
I use a torch to cut the cable. Don't use the oxy trigger, just get it hot and turn up the oxy valve, you can cut/melt/weld the ends at the same time. :D :D :D

Testing cable, heat quench and break it just like any mystery steel.
YEP!!! That sounds good. :D :D

Back