GossHawk

Here's a pic of the first one finished. Black canvas micarta scales. Weighs in at exactly 2 lbs. Now time to give it a workout. :D
Scott

Attachments

• Picture 247.jpg
    Picture 247.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 189
I saw this one at Scotts shop on Friday. Great balance. It is beefy throughout, but not overly so. Really thick, but not too much. I'm used to my Estwing, and the el cheapo Chinese made hardware store hatchets, and one Timberline I used to have. This is worlds different. The fact that you could choke up on the handle comfortably was a big plus.

You can tell that this hatchet is all Scott though :D.

oooohhh.... that came out great Scott...:eek: i like it a lot....:thumbup:

i still need to pick up one of those PSN knives too.... those look like perfect little EDC knives...:)

I have to be honest, I have never really been a hatchet kind of guy but since I've been messing around with this one, it is really growing on me. It chops extremely well, makes fuzzies easily and strips curls off of wood like a knife. It will never replace my Tusker but a good combo would be the Gosshawk and a 4 or 5 inch fixed blade.
Scott

Here's the sheath. It is full cover, belt loop for belt carry, pack carry or add a ring for attaching a shoulder strap.
Scott

Attachments

• Picture 252.jpg
    Picture 252.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 34
Here's something that helps with choking up close to the head, also makes the grip more comfortable and will aid when using in the cold weather. I cord wrapped the exposed handle.
Scott

Attachments

• Picture 253.jpg
    Picture 253.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 84
Here's something that helps with choking up close to the head, also makes the grip more comfortable and will aid when using in the cold weather. I cord wrapped the exposed handle.
Scott

That looks like a good addition. I am excited to see that red and black micarta model (hint hint ;)).

The hawk looks great Scott. Your work never ceases to amaze me; Clean looking, simple, tough and 100% usable.

I got a chance to hit the woods for some minor testing. It chops very well for it's size, makes curls without much effort and batons ok but I think batoning is better with a knife. Below are a few pics I took.
First is a piece of well seasoned wood I chopped through, second are some curls off of seasoned oak along with some splits I batoned. Last is the Gosshawk next to a 5" Tusker.
Scott

Attachments

• Picture 255.jpg
    Picture 255.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Picture 256.jpg
    Picture 256.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Picture 257.jpg
    Picture 257.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 107
I got a chance to hit the woods for some minor testing. It chops very well for it's size, makes curls without much effort and batons ok but I think batoning is better with a knife. Below are a few pics I took.
First is a piece of well seasoned wood I chopped through, second are some curls off of seasoned oak along with some splits I batoned. Last is the Gosshawk next to a 5" Tusker.
Scott

I like that handle a lot better than the green canvas micarta.

Scott

Hey Scott, what is the handle called on this Gosshawk?

As soon as I get my PC back up and running I will post pics of a paracord shoulder carry method. I'm also working on a leather strap set up for shoulder carry. I will post pics when it's finished. Dan Shecthman is getting the prototype Gosshawk for a possible article in the Backwoodsman magazine. He will have the complete set up.
Kevin Estela and Jerry (hayseed45) are giving it a full workout this week at Marty Simon's survival school. I'm looking forward to their report.
Scott

I was lucky enough to get on of the original four from Scott and it arrived today. All I can say guys is this thing is killer. Everything you expect in something from Scott. It is build rock solid and scary sharp. I can not wait to get this thing out in the woods.

I was lucky enough to get on of the original four from Scott and it arrived today. All I can say guys is this thing is killer. Everything you expect in something from Scott. It is build rock solid and scary sharp. I can not wait to get this thing out in the woods.

You got one before all the original four were gone. :D Keep me posted about the skinning. I honestly didn't know the pole was used for that. It makes sense because the GB hunters axe has a rounded pole. I've haven't taken the time to use one for skinning.
Scott

Back