Got my new 710 today!!

I'm slightly disappointed though. I ordered a 710 plainedge in 154CM. What I got was a plainedge in ATS-34. I did some reading in the archives and some people say that there's not enough difference to worry about while others say the NEW 154CM from Crucible is better than the ATS-34 from Hitachi. Most of those posts were aged some. Has ATS improved and Benchmade is back to using it or did I just get an old knife. I ordered from a fairly high volume dealer so i can't imagine it was an older model, could be wrong though.

Also, it's pretty damn dull! My other new benchmades were MUCH sharper from the factory.:confused: :confused:

I don't know whether to go ahead and sharpen it or send it back and get a 154CM????

Whadda ya think?

I, personaly, can't tell much differece in the two steels. I've had knives from BM in both and received good results from both. If everthing else on the knife is good I think I would just keep it and sharpen it. On the other hand if your heart is set on 154CM then you should send it back because you just won't be happy until you do. Good luck.

I also have a 710 in ATS-34 and have not noticed any differences between it and 154-CM. Like yours, mine needed a little sharpening work to get it up to speed. No big deal....I'm going to have to sharpen it sometime anyhow. I suspect you received one of the older knives but I would not consider that to be a bad thing. Like John says, if it bugs you then send it back.
Let us know what you do.

Cheers,
Gord.

I believe that I have noticed a difference in the two. I think the 154CM blades are easier to sharpen to a fine edge than the ATS34 blades. The 154 seems finer grained and tougher to me. Could be just a subjective impression though.

You could call the dealer, and if he has a 710 in 154CM you could exchage. If he doesn't, I would just forget about it. The ATS34 blades are still excellent edge holders in my opinion. They were a little low on toughness, and combined with the wear resistance, that made them a littl tricky to sharpen, but if you don't fuss too much about how fine an edge you get, they hold a good working edge a long time.

Bayou Laforche just contacted me finally....

They offerd to replace it with the right one (154CM), but i'm waiting to hear if they want the other one back first or we can do a "mail cross". I'm not in the mood to wait for 2 weeks for the final arrival of the 154CM. What can I say, I have no patience! I want to carry this dude!

I really had my heart set on the new 154CM from Crucible, although my ATS-34 eleshwitz Stryker 9100BT holds an edge just fine.

Greg

Bayou Laforche, just contacted me again. We will be doing a "mail swap" between this ATS-34, and a new 154CM.

Although the first 24 hours didn't seem to promising, Bayou Laforce has shown some interest in making my order right!

I'm pleased with the customer service!

Greg

Bayou LaFourche has excellent customer service. I have never heard of anyone having a bad experience with them.

Back