• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Greg Wall Knives

Murindo

Gold Member
I'm considering buying an expensive knife from custom maker Greg Wall. Has any one here dealt with him before?

Never dealt with him, but have admired his knives for a good long time. I think he has permission to replicate Randall made knives along with their sheaths.

He didn't indicate that he has permission but since he marks them with his maker's mark he is likely OK. Besides Randall can't meet the demand.

Greg noted that he charges half when the project starts and the remainder when the project is completed.

I can't find any negative comments on his work or his business practices.

In the end, today I found a used Randall for a reasonable price so I won't be going to Greg this time around.

I found this thread researching Wall. So far, after a two year wait, I still havent received the knife I ordered from him. Instead, just excuses and missed shipping dates. IMO, he is not to be trusted.

Thank you for posting this. I’ve been staring at his knives on flea bay for years, sheaths mostly. He’s made a copy of everything old school you could think of. I’m sorry to hear you’ve been dealing with some BS. I hope more members chime in.

I have two Greg Wall knives. Both are based on the Randall model 19. The first I got off the bay, stainless and stag handle, directly from Greg. Came sharp as a razor. The second was a custom order, a hollow handle model in carbon steel. Took about 6-7 weeks to make and arrive. Don't really carry it much, the balance seems to be off. Of course, this just might be the nature of the beast. The only other hollow handle knives I own are the cold steel survival edge( I think its called) and my Boker Apparo. Of the three, I find the Apparo carried more than the other 2 combined. I'm sorry that this has happened to you, my 2 purchases went without any problems. I won't blame Greg for my "disapointment" with my hollow handle 19, he only made what I wanted, turns out it wasn't the "be all,end all" that I thought it would be.

I just signed up to add on to this thread (I was looking for reviews and only really found this thread).

Same story as dano. I'm now SIXTY WEEKS waiting for a knife to be made, and all the guy has done is lie "oh should be done next week or two", excuses "had a shortage of whatever, oh now I'm moving, oh butterflies got into the ointment" and flat out ignoring me. I've tried calling (always get the voicemail or the phone just rings and rings), and he won't return my call. I've thought about calling and reporting fraud on him, so if anyone knows where in Tennessee he's located, that would be wonderful...

But yeah buyer beware with this guy. Not sure if he gets drunk or smokes meth or whatever his story is, but SIXTY WEEKS to make a crappy ripoff knife is not acceptable. Yes I know I get what I pay for when buying a fake, but while these are NOT cheap, $2000 for an original Lile is just out of the question (and I really really wanted one without those silly screwdriver points, this is to be a legit trail knife, I live up in the mountains like a hillabilly and bears/cougars are a legit threat here).

I've actually got a sizeable youtube channel, but I've never wanted to be one of those cancel culture guys, especially against a small or one man operation, but it's getting to that point. If it was less than $100 I'd probably write it off to a lesson learned, but this guy charges almost a grand for these things.

I found this thread researching Wall. So far, after a two year wait, I still havent received the knife I ordered from him. Instead, just excuses and missed shipping dates. IMO, he is not to be trusted.

I just signed up to add on to this thread (I was looking for reviews and only really found this thread).

Same story as dano. I'm now SIXTY WEEKS waiting for a knife to be made, and all the guy has done is lie "oh should be done next week or two", excuses "had a shortage of whatever, oh now I'm moving, oh butterflies got into the ointment" and flat out ignoring me. I've tried calling (always get the voicemail or the phone just rings and rings), and he won't return my call. I've thought about calling and reporting fraud on him, so if anyone knows where in Tennessee he's located, that would be wonderful...

But yeah buyer beware with this guy. Not sure if he gets drunk or smokes meth or whatever his story is, but SIXTY WEEKS to make a crappy ripoff knife is not acceptable. Yes I know I get what I pay for when buying a fake, but while these are NOT cheap, $2000 for an original Lile is just out of the question (and I really really wanted one without those silly screwdriver points, this is to be a legit trail knife, I live up in the mountains like a hillabilly and bears/cougars are a legit threat here).

I've actually got a sizeable youtube channel, but I've never wanted to be one of those cancel culture guys, especially against a small or one man operation, but it's getting to that point. If it was less than $100 I'd probably write it off to a lesson learned, but this guy charges almost a grand for these things.
I can add to this. I've held off, and held off...on making any comments on forums because I really hate to be "that guy". But seeing this, I really need to chime in. As of June 15, 2023 I'm now at - sit down for this - *123 weeks* (just shy of 2.5 YEARS) since I ordered a mid sized First Blood. I have kept messages minimal to avoid being pushy, hoping that perhaps my order will be moved up in the pecking order because I'm such a nice guy (I really am too nice), and it's always the same reply. "It should be ready soon, sorry for the wait...". I even suggested just a refund and we both walk away....and nope nothing. At this point, my only deep regret is not knowing this would be the case, because I simply would have saved my beans for a year and bought a real Lile. The idea of paying 2 grand for a knife is crazy, but honestly not nearly as much as waiting for 2.5 years and still having nothing in hand.

What really bugs me is a guy from Norway posted a review of the knife, and it seems to have performed well (which is great) but point being, in the comments, it sounds like he ordered his well over a year after I did, and he's had his for a while now....WTF???

I can add to this. I've held off, and held off...on making any comments on forums because I really hate to be "that guy". But seeing this, I really need to chime in. As of June 15, 2023 I'm now at - sit down for this - *123 weeks* (just shy of 2.5 YEARS) since I ordered a mid sized First Blood. I have kept messages minimal to avoid being pushy, hoping that perhaps my order will be moved up in the pecking order because I'm such a nice guy (I really am too nice), and it's always the same reply. "It should be ready soon, sorry for the wait...". I even suggested just a refund and we both walk away....and nope nothing. At this point, my only deep regret is not knowing this would be the case, because I simply would have saved my beans for a year and bought a real Lile. The idea of paying 2 grand for a knife is crazy, but honestly not nearly as much as waiting for 2.5 years and still having nothing in hand.

What really bugs me is a guy from Norway posted a review of the knife, and it seems to have performed well (which is great) but point being, in the comments, it sounds like he ordered his well over a year after I did, and he's had his for a while now....WTF???
I was waiting until knife is in hand to do an update, but short version is, I really put the pressure on. Said that I really didn't want to take the receipts to the adamsville police and charge him with fraud, and even mentioned that he was started to get mentioned in knife forums in a negative light (which is true). Right now knife is in the mail (supposedly) as he "finished it up" for me. Gave me the same song and dance about being a one man operation so I cut him off with "then you should NOT be accepting any more orders, and taking people's money, until you're caught up, that sir, is the definition of fraud...accepting money without the ability to deliver".

I would strongly suggest trying to get him on the phone, or simply do the same and say that you are contacting the police (or...contact the police!). The guy is a complete clown, and it honestly makes me even angrier to know that he bumped YOU to get mine done, which of course means that he's bumped mine to get others done (he told me a year ago that he had to get some done for servicemen who needed to deploy and it was a rush job which would bump mine by a week or two...). 2.5 YEARS is absolutely inexcusable. I had a house built, the whole damn thing, in 4 months once. Sure more than one person built the house, but if he's got so many orders HIRE MORE PEOPLE OR SHUT DOWN ORDERS.

Good to get the word out about this guy. I'm kind of assuming the knife I get will have some issues with quality, I've (since ordering) seen various reports on things like the straightness of the cuts, etc, and I STRONGLY suspect that he slapped mine together in a week, and I don't believe for an instant that he has been working on the knife for almost two years.

Best of luck, start pushing this guy and I'll be back with photos and we can maybe expose this guy completely once and for all.

I’m in the same boat…ordered a “First Blood” back in October of 2022 and was quoted “about 14 weeks.” Checked on it after 28 weeks…”waiting on parts.” Checked about 2months ago and it was in a batch of 6 and should ship in 2-3 weeks. Just sent another email just now….
I was waiting until knife is in hand to do an update, but short version is, I really put the pressure on. Said that I really didn't want to take the receipts to the adamsville police and charge him with fraud, and even mentioned that he was started to get mentioned in knife forums in a negative light (which is true). Right now knife is in the mail (supposedly) as he "finished it up" for me. Gave me the same song and dance about being a one man operation so I cut him off with "then you should NOT be accepting any more orders, and taking people's money, until you're caught up, that sir, is the definition of fraud...accepting money without the ability to deliver".

I would strongly suggest trying to get him on the phone, or simply do the same and say that you are contacting the police (or...contact the police!). The guy is a complete clown, and it honestly makes me even angrier to know that he bumped YOU to get mine done, which of course means that he's bumped mine to get others done (he told me a year ago that he had to get some done for servicemen who needed to deploy and it was a rush job which would bump mine by a week or two...). 2.5 YEARS is absolutely inexcusable. I had a house built, the whole damn thing, in 4 months once. Sure more than one person built the house, but if he's got so many orders HIRE MORE PEOPLE OR SHUT DOWN ORDERS.

Good to get the word out about this guy. I'm kind of assuming the knife I get will have some issues with quality, I've (since ordering) seen various reports on things like the straightness of the cuts, etc, and I STRONGLY suspect that he slapped mine together in a week, and I don't believe for an instant that he has been working on the knife for almost two years.

Best of luck, start pushing this guy and I'll be back with photos and we can maybe expose this guy completely once and for all.

I’m in the same boat…ordered a “First Blood” back in October of 2022 and was quoted “about 14 weeks.” Checked on it after 28 weeks…”waiting on parts.” Checked about 2months ago and it was in a batch of 6 and should ship in 2-3 weeks. Just sent another email just now….
I have dealt with Greg for probably 10 years or so, always found him to be a decent guy. Have bought several blades off of eBay and also ordered directly from him. Never a problem until recently when I ordered a Jack Crain LSS1 copy and paid in full up front. Contacted him well after the promised date, got the run around as well. One man operation, waiting on supplies etc. I did finally receive the knife a several months past the promised date. Which is certainly better than the other members experiences. I'm not sure what changed with him. People have problems and that is understandable. My issue with my experience is he has never failed to list knives on eBay every few weeks. I know because he is a saved seller on my account so I see it constantly. So while we all wait for him to build our knives and get the run around and excuses, he somehow finds plenty of time to build knives for his ebay store to sell. This bothers me enough I've decided to no longer buy from him. And that is a shame as he builds a decent blade, not perfect but decent.

Thanks High Caliber for that information. I really appreciate you sharing all of that.

I have dealt with Greg for probably 10 years or so, always found him to be a decent guy. Have bought several blades off of eBay and also ordered directly from him. Never a problem until recently when I ordered a Jack Crain LSS1 copy and paid in full up front. Contacted him well after the promised date, got the run around as well. One man operation, waiting on supplies etc. I did finally receive the knife a several months past the promised date. Which is certainly better than the other members experiences. I'm not sure what changed with him. People have problems and that is understandable. My issue with my experience is he has never failed to list knives on eBay every few weeks. I know because he is a saved seller on my account so I see it constantly. So while we all wait for him to build our knives and get the run around and excuses, he somehow finds plenty of time to build knives for his ebay store to sell. This bothers me enough I've decided to no longer buy from him. And that is a shame as he builds a decent blade, not perfect but decent.
This is the part that's hard to read. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy you received your knife, but to know that my order just keeps getting tossed back into the end of the line really sucks. Especially given how patient and nice I've been...

This is the part that's hard to read. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy you received your knife, but to know that my order just keeps getting tossed back into the end of the line really sucks. Especially given how patient and nice I've been...
Yeah man I can understand, I hope you eventually receive your knife. I honestly don't believe Greg is dishonest, I believe he is in over his head and doesn't know how to recover. But like I said before one way to try and fulfill his obligations with pre ordered knives is to stop building knives for eBay and focus on those orders. Either way the Wall knives I own presently will be the only ones I own in the future.

My BIGGEST issue is that he does NOT disclose anywhere on his page that the items shown are not currently in stock, nor does he give any kind of ETA. I only found out that he takes "quite some time" from a video on youtube after waiting a couple of months for shipping. I contacted him and that was the first of probably 10 "it's almost done" emails from him, always with a fresh excuse.

Thing is, I live in the woods, like DEEP in the woods, and every fall and spring we have serious bear encroachments, and yearlong the risk of cougar attack is real (they've been breeding fairly well, they prey on the rancher's sheep up here). I pretty much NEED to have a good solid knife with me at all times, so had I known this guy was going to take 1-7 YEARS I definitely would have forked out the $$$ for a really good Bowie knife. BUT I also live close to where first blood was filmed, in fact, almost identical terrain to the first act, so hey, "let's get a first blood knife"...but I always thought those screwdriver tips looked like something that would catch or gouge in an emergency, so where do you find one without them.....and here we are, almost 2 years later bitching on a public forum.

Additional note...he SAID he would send it rush/priority, but he send it regular parcel, so it's STILL on the other side of the continent. Posted on the 9th of June. The lies just NEVER stop with this guy. My suspicion is that he's getting a large number of orders "PAID UP FRONT" and he's busy enjoying/spending the money. Probably has a new boat, and in fact he said he was moving, maybe bought a new house, but he's not putting the money back into the business by hiring help, so I think overall it's GOOD to have a thread like this, and the more personal experiences the better. Especially now that it sounds like his once "okay" service is slipping into "not at all okay, not by a long shot" :)

Will still post photos if/when it ever arrives.

Yeah man I can understand, I hope you eventually receive your knife. I honestly don't believe Greg is dishonest, I believe he is in over his head and doesn't know how to recover. But like I said before one way to try and fulfill his obligations with pre ordered knives is to stop building knives for eBay and focus on those orders. Either way the Wall knives I own presently will be the only ones I own in the future.
If this is his ebay page: https://www.ebay.com/usr/awrjrr?_trksid=p2047675.m145687.l151931
Then sorry, but he is EXTREMELY dishonest. His positive rating shows that he cares VERY MUCH about keeping ebay happy with him, as there are several "shipped VERY quickly, good comms" reviews, which means he's dumping custom and webpage orders under the desk, and when we ask, he LIES as he knows damn well he's working on ebay orders, because WE already paid, and we can't leave a bad review. :mad:

I would say at this point unless you can leave a public REVIEW of him, that people avoid him like they would a carnival gypsy asking for spare change.

Here’s the latest I’ve gotten… he has been transitioning from the old shop and the new shop for the past few months. Finally got the last big lathe moved this weekend and got it up and running. He closed on the property ( home and shop) in Michie Tn this past Friday. Have been working 8 to 9 hours a day though the week and then having to move equipment from the old shop . “It’s put me behind some.” I will have more of the cnc hilts in stock and have yours finished up in 3 weeks .

I’m still giving him the benefit of doubt for now. Unless this is the same song and dance…. Communication with his customers would go a long way. Like simply sending out a cut and paste email or a post to social media explaining what’s going on. …and don’t make a promise you can’t deliver on. I’ll update the good and bad…however this shakes out.

Here’s the latest I’ve gotten… he has been transitioning from the old shop and the new shop for the past few months. Finally got the last big lathe moved this weekend and got it up and running. He closed on the property ( home and shop) in Michie Tn this past Friday. Have been working 8 to 9 hours a day though the week and then having to move equipment from the old shop . “It’s put me behind some.” I will have more of the cnc hilts in stock and have yours finished up in 3 weeks .

I’m still giving him the benefit of doubt for now. Unless this is the same song and dance…. Communication with his customers would go a long way. Like simply sending out a cut and paste email or a post to social media explaining what’s going on. …and don’t make a promise you can’t deliver on. I’ll update the good and bad…however this shakes out.
My first email to him back in 2021 got the reply: "I'm doing your batch now, just waiting on some steel, I should have it finished up in about 2-3 weeks".
Second email 2 months later: "I'm working on yours now, but I have some servicemen being deployed who want their sly 2's before they leave, but I should have yours done in 2-3 weeks thanks for your patience"
Third email 2 months later: "I'm just working on the blades now, I should have yours out next week"
4th email: "I had a little setback, but I'm feeling better now, I should have your knife out to you next weeks thanks for your patience I'm a one man operation but you will be pleased with my quality"
5th email, 40 weeks in: "I'm just finishing up work on the sly 2's now, I should have yours done in the next 2 weeks, thanks for your patience"
10th email, 60 weeks in: "I'm just in the middle of packing for a move so I am a bit behind, but I should be able to get your knife out as soon as I'm settled in the new shop, probably 2-3 weeks, thanks for your patience".

It literally took a call to a law firm we deal with in Georgia to find out what I need to do to put the screws to this idiot. I found his hometown and the number of the local sheriff. I then called and called and called and emailed and called and emailed, very clearly that I was having him charged with fraud, and that I was going to sue him for initial outlay, legal costs and damages. With that, he had the knife in the mail (supposedly) in a week. He had said "priority courier" but he sent regular parcel, no signature, no insurance, as CHEAP as he could send it, even though I recall he charged ~$60 for shipping.

The guy is a complete clown.🤡

…..damn

Yeah.. I’m already paid in full, so I will be going down that route if I keep getting the round around. Only time will tell…about 3 weeks. Lol

…..damn

Yeah.. I’m already paid in full, so I will be going down that route if I keep getting the round around. Only time will tell…about 3 weeks. Lol
Yeah, unfortunately it really seems like this is his MO when he's already got the money in hand. I'm expecting a pretty shoddy piece of work as I rushed him and only gave him 60 or 70 weeks to work on it. :confused:

If the legit repro knives were not just display models it would be SO much better, but I've got those, and they are unusable except for slicing sheets of paper. Greg was adamant that this was a working knife. I've been carrying a gerber knife and machete for the trails on the property here, it would be so much easier to carry one knife that I can use hard and not worry about falling apart. The Gerbers have been pretty good so far, not great at holding an edge but sharpening is all part of the game.

What really ticks me off is that last year a buddy and I went to the filming locations in Hope BC and it sure would have been nice to have taken a couple of shots of that knife on location. The junkyard is pretty picked over and kind of a hard hike to do it again, just something else that I'm peeved about with Mr Wall. He had said he would "try and get it to me" for that, but here we are almost a year after that. He WILL lead you along and not deliver. Be as pesty as you need to be until this guy either stops selling, or hires someone (if he's as busy as he seems to be).

But anyway, keep on this guy. He should have gotten Mac his knife two years ago... it's ridiculous.

Last edited:
Back