Grip for axes

rlewpolar

Gold Member
Anyone use some sort of wrap or grip on their axe or tomahawk handles to increase purchase?

I found some great shrink wrap that comes in all different diameters. 15 seconds with a heat gun and it’s on there tight. Very durable, great grip and the best part is, I can cut it off anytime. No sticky mess, no alteration of the handle. I’ve done it on a bunch of knives and works really well. The idea came to me while using my Buck 119 which has that infamous slippery phenolic handle. Applied this stuff and it transformed the knife.

I thought about my axes and thought, why not? Let me know what you think
IMG_1332.jpeg

I prefer to just have a properly shaped handle and prefer hickory because it doesn't blister my hands like a steel handle with rubber grip or any kind of fibers/ composite type handle.

With that being said I would say that every one of those handles pictured are probably benefiting from this heat shrink.

Where can you get the shrink wrap?
It’s called eTekGo X-tube heat shrink wrap. You can find it on Amazon. Comes in several colors and diameters . I found that the 40mm diameter works perfectly for axe handles.

Edited: 50mm diameter works for axe handles, not 40mm

Last edited:
Good for hawks also. Used the 30mm diameter tubing for these and great fit. The grip on all of these is vastly improved. Not completely sold on the aesthetics but hey, function over form.

Edited: 40mm diameter works for tomahawks (and also knives), not 30mm
IMG_1398.jpeg

IMG_1396.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't feel I need it with two-handed tools but I have an Ochsenkopf brush hook that has been problematic when used one handed. I've got hockey tape on it now but that stuff looks like it would do better.

I don't feel I need it with two-handed tools but I have an Ochsenkopf brush hook that has been problematic when used one handed. I've got hockey tape on it now but that stuff looks like it would do better.
I agree. I think for the two handed axes, it’s a bit overkill. For something like hatchets or tomahawks, it’s a big improvement.

What size fits best on your buck knife? Does it increase the diameter of the handle appreciably?

I use
What size fits best on your buck knife? Does it increase the diameter of the handle appreciably?
I used the 40mm size for my Buck knives. The stuff is fairly thin, doesn’t make the handle noticeably thicker but it does make it much grippier. In fact, it feels better than any other knife handle I have (micarta, g10, etc)IMG_1413.jpeg

Folks, I blew it. Just measured the shrink wrap (have several sizes) and the one that works the best for axes is 50mm diameter size. The 40mm size works best for tomahawks and knives. Hopefully no one ordered the wrong size but if you got it off Amazon, it’s easily returned. Sorry for the bad information, should have measured instead of going off memory

And yet another use for this shrink wrap; making it into a strike guard for hawks. Four layers (two layers of 40mm and then two layers of 50mm). Seems even better than ranger bands and should provide excellent protection against over strikes. Haha, you would think I own stock in this stuff but just trying to help out my brothers in arms 🙂

IMG_1435.jpeg

Last edited:
Folks, I blew it. Just measured the shrink wrap (have several sizes) and the one that works the best for axes is 50mm diameter size. The 40mm size works best for tomahawks and knives. Hopefully no one ordered the wrong size but if you got it off Amazon, it’s easily returned. Sorry for the bad information, should have measured instead of going off memory
Thanks! I may to try it on some knives

Back