1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

H&B Forge?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by wrknives, Aug 30, 2013.

1. wrknives

wrknives

Dec 5, 2011
    Hey guys, kinda new to axes and this sub-forum! But not new to Tomahawks:D I was just wondering because it doesnt say on the site, what kinda steel is being used? Cause their prices are too good to be true.. I dunno. Haha. Oh and heat treat too! Thanks guys!

2. Wolf_1989

Wolf_1989

Mar 30, 2007
    H&B told me 1095. The bits are laminated/forge welded so it looks to me it's a 1095 core between lower carbon sides. It's a full length/width piece too. I confirmed with by etching the top and bottom of my latest H&B - a custom Mammen style Viking Axe - with hot apple cider vinegar.

H&B's heat treat seems to be pretty good to me. When I got my newest one I took it down to my woodpile and beat the dickens out of it and threw it some. It's plenty sturdy and the edge retention is good.

3. wrknives

wrknives

Dec 5, 2011
    Sweeeet, thanks man!