1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Hardest steel available today?? (highest HRC)

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by troller, Jul 15, 2010.

1. troller

troller

Jun 15, 2010
    Title says it all... I'd like to know what is the hardest steel available today for knives (i mean, the one with highest HRC), and which knives use it.

My limited knowledge about steels suggests me the Fallkniven 3G steel @ 62 HRC.

Anything tougher?
    Damascus steels?

thanks!

2. amue

amue

May 31, 2010
    ZDP-189 is a very hard steel, sometimes up to 67HRC.

3. SteelSnob

SteelSnob

Sep 7, 2009
    Probably ZDP at 67HRC from William Henry and IIRC Rockstead has pretty high HRC on their's too.

4. Mossyhorn

Mossyhorn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 6, 2009
  5. Vicarious Reality

Vicarious Reality

Apr 9, 2008
    Diamond is the hardest metal known the man.

6. manowar669

manowar669

Oct 1, 2002
    Are you high?

7. Dagon

Dagon

Nov 12, 2007
    The french company "Evercut" has made a special alloy (featuring titanium carbide) using unorthodox methods that is said to be 300 times harder than any steel out there, and even harder than "normal" ceramic blades. They produce a quality kitchen knife with it.
    I read an article & test about it in the french knife magazine "Excalibur" and it seems that the claims ring true, it's not hype. The edge holding is beyond belief.
    Like ceramic blades, the material is not suitable for chopping, only for cutting. It would be cool to see a company like Spyderco licensing it for use in a gentlemeny folder (which will only be used for cutting, not chopping).
    If you can read french, you may want to visit http://www.evercut.fr/
    It's seems they got an innovation award for it.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  8. philwar

philwar

Mar 27, 2009
    CPM M4 routinely gets hardened to 64 or even more - and this is its working hardness.

9. Albin

Albin

Aug 31, 2001
    What about that "liquid metal" stuff that was talked about so much here 4-5 years or so ago? Whatever happened to making knives out of that material?

Al

10. philwar

philwar

Mar 27, 2009
    It was all used up when they made Terminators out of it. :D

11. Seals

Seals

Oct 12, 2007
    This is what the competition cutters are using so i would say if not the hardest,the most proficent.

12. pwet

pwet

Feb 13, 2009
    vanadis 10 (bohler steel) can get as hard as ZDP. but with almost 10% vanadium. very few maker use this but the one i know said that it was very hard on the belts and so very expensive to produce.

but i's not stainless.

here is a comparison with S110V

13. JTR357

JTR357

Sep 10, 2007
    ZDP-189 for the win!:thumbup:

[edit] A word to the OP.You should consider changing your name if you want anyone to take you seriously.Unless you're a commercial fisherman.:p

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  14. Apebrains

Apebrains

Dec 15, 2009
    Just checking, are you aware that Hardness and Toughness are not the same thing? As hardness goes up, toughness proportionately goes down.

Why would he be high? Diamond IS the hardest substance known to man.:confused:

15. huugh

huugh

Jul 16, 2005
    Besides that, ultrahard fullerite and especially aggregated diamond nanorods are thought to be the hardest substances.

16. zyhano

zyhano

Dec 3, 2009
    but not a metal. and actually, diamond is not the hardest known substance (check out nanotubes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_nanotube#Hardness)

17. Itch Blade

Itch Blade

Dec 27, 2009
    Serrated H1 is 68 HRC at the edge.

18. Cotherion

Cotherion

Aug 7, 2007
    I think Boker have folders called Leo damascus something that has damascus blades made out of tank barrels (them pipes which the blinking huge bullets fly out of) at RC 67 or 68 I can't remember.

I'm from Malaysia, we don't have many tanks, forgive my lack of knowledge regarding tank parts... :)

19. JTR357

JTR357

Sep 10, 2007
    seriously?you got a link?:eek:

20. GregS

GregS

May 6, 2008
    You're mistaken.