Harness Jacks- any collectors?

Waynorth - That Alvord punch certainly got around. I have a Challenge cattle knife with an Alvord punch.

Hello Charlie,

You have got me interested in this very original authentic pattern with all your great research information conveyed here about its rich history as a real working knife.. Thanks. I think I got the bug.;)

While I am here at the Blade show the rest of the weekend I will see if I can locate any HJ's that may be of interest.. :thumbup:

Empire was a big company, and apparently made a lot of knives for other distributors. I'm in the process of buying an Empire collection, and will post a pic soon!

Just got back from Atlanta last evening via the 2006 Blade Show and a lay-over there for some well deserved trout fishing with my good buds.

I am very unhappy to report however, that there was not even one Harness Jack at the show that I could look at, let alone purchase from the many tables of thousands of vintage knives there. Now granted I did not even start inquiring about these until late Saturday and all day Sunday but I would have thought there would have been at least several to view. Most venders did not even know what I was talking about and I had to explain the pattern to them. In fact, I got only one business card from one fellow that knew what an HJ was and said he thought he had a few at home but there condition was not mint or near mint so he left them and did not bother to bring them to the show... Are these knives that rare?

Anyway, as promised before I left I will hunt for the other vintage HJ or two mixed in among my boxes of goodies and post them here ASAP.

Best,
Anthony

waynorth said:
Leather harness often needs repair or adjustment. To work effectively with leather you need to cut it, and to pierce it for fastening with laces, thread, string, even a nut and a bolt.
I've made shoulder bags, and belt pouches with a knife blade and a punch only, even some pretty fancy stuff.
If you are away from your shop or barn when you break something, you pretty much have all you need in your pocket if you've got an HJ!
The spiritual predecessor to the SAK IMHO!

This is why there are Punchblade stockmans and Punch cattle knives; Harnesseses and tack, and Saddle tack were all leather up until recently. Although, Elsner started Victorinox in 1891.

Well Anthony, if you watch EBay for a while, you'll see hundreds of trappers, whittlers, barlows and such go by every week!
I've seen a whole month go by without a decent HJ!
They are coming out of the woodwork a little bit, with the prices going up now.
You should contact that guy who gave you the card at the show. IMO it's a good idea to buy them in half decent shape, just because of rarity. You won't see "near mint" too often! Where a nice old Jack might see $100, a comparable HJ will see $250-300 sometimes!

I have found my other Harness Jack, although it took some digging, and low and behold it is a Winchester marked in three lines on the tang stamp on the master blade is stamped: (1) WINCHESTER (2) -TRADE MARK- (3) MADE IN U.S.A.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/sunnyd4me/000_0936.jpg

The obverse side Master blade is stamped: 2874

The punch blade is tang stamped in three lines exactly like the Master blade and the obverse side is unmarked.

As usual any information regarding this knife would be most welcome!!:)

ps(I have thankfully discovered a better online image site that allows enhanced viewing)

Nice one Anthony! You may know that Winchester bought out Napanoch Knife Co., and Eagle Pocket Knife Co. in 1919, in a move, like Remington's, to turn their excess wartime production capacity to cutlery, since the war had ended. The early punch knives used an interesting double fluted punch, invented by William Carman in 1907-08, one of the Carman brothers who owned Napanoch. Winchester used these until they came up with an easier to manufacture punch, like yours. I haven't found the patent for that one yet (anyone?), but it's like a cross between a Remington punch, and Empire's Alvord punch of 1906. It could be an Alvord though, because it's tough to see in the picture. The Alvord was used by several brands, including Challenge Cut. mentioned earlier in this thread by Lambertiana.
I don't have a Winchester with a punch like yours, but I've got one with the old Napanoch punch. I'll try to find a pic of it and post it later. Great and rare little knife you've got!

I've got a couple of those, apparently German-made knives, Wolfgang. A different and interesting design. I wonder if they were indeed designed as leather punches. I haven't tried one out yet, but will soon.

Here's that Winchester HJ I promised earlier! The punch is the earlier Napanoch style.
WinchesterHJfrt.jpg

What a beauty!! I guess this is what you meant by a double fluted punch.. Would you call this near mint or very good or what exactly?.. Just awsome!!

It's been used, and someone cleaned and polished (shudder!) it, so I guess you'd call it excellent. I prefer my knives with patina, but you can't put it back!
Yes, that's the Carman punch!

Just got this in the mail several days back..

.. Its got Slick Black scales with the KEENKUTTER bow tie sheild. Good ole carbon steel of coarse with the master blade stamped the the old Keen Kutter tang stamp without the E. C. Simmons over top(presumably before there involvement).. The Punch blade is tang stamped in two lines: (1)SPIRAL (2) punch As usual any assistance with the knifes vintage, punch blade rarety, and the like would be very much appreciated.

000_0938.jpg

Hey Anthony (do you prefer Tony?),
your link disappeared!
Charlie

waynorth said:
Hey Anthony (do you prefer Tony?),
your link disappeared!
Charlie

Tony is fine as well(been called a lot worse:p ).

Are you sure, I currently have it up as an image(finally figured out how to use these damn imaging options,, sort of:eek: )

I will try a front shot photo very soon.

sunnyd said:
Just got this in the mail several days back..

.. Its got Slick Black scales with the KEENKUTTER bow tie sheild. Good ole carbon steel of coarse with the master blade stamped the the old Keen Kutter tang stamp without the E. C. Simmons over top(presumably before there involvement).. The Punch blade is tang stamped in two lines: (1)SPIRAL (2) punch As usual any assistance with the knifes vintage, punch blade rarety, and the like would be very much appreciated.

000_0938.jpg
wierd! the link shows when I "Quote" it! But it shows up as an "OOPS. no link" tag when I want to access it! I'll reboot and see what's what!

Front shot photogragh as follows which I hope you don't have any problems with viewing:

000_0939.jpg

Still displays the
"OOPS, my image for the link is no longer here. PHOTOBUCKET" tag?!?!
Don't know what's up?

I can see the front photo here, but the others show the oops tag.

Looks like that knife could tell a few stories. Nice.

Got 'em by email, thanks T. I suspect the knife may be a Schrade or Camillus subcontract, but, I don't have a lot of info on that punch. I just sent out some emails to friends who may know more. Watch this space! :D
p.s. I'll repost the pics here to see if everyone can get 'em!
SpiralKKf.jpg

SpiralKKb.jpg

Back